Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Games: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Posted 2004-02-26, 03:37 AM
Let the world rejoice! Final Fantasy has come back to a Nintendo home console! ...well, sort of!

Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles
Developer: Game Designer's Studio (Squaresoft)
Platform: Gamecube

Allow me to preface this review with two points before you begin reading it. if these two things immediately turn you off, then maybe you don't need to read this review. If you're an open-minded individual, however, I would recommend reading the whole review before judging the game.

1) If you are expecting a giant, epic Final Fantasy adventure with a huge world to explore, 5 minute summon animations, a turn-based battle system and a Sephiroth cameo, you are looking at the wrong game.

2) This game requires the use of a Gameboy Advance for multiplayer. No exceptions.

With those two things said, this is a friggin' badass game. The fact is, even if you're not a fan of Final Fantasy, you should pick this up. It's not a traditional RPG, it's a hack n' slash, very much like Gauntlet, and it's one of the most entertaining multiplayer experiences I've ever witnessed on a home console.

Story

The world you live in has been swallowed by a deadly mist called Miasma. The Miasma enveloped the world years ago, killing untold numbers in the process. Before the entire planet was consumed, however, the people learned of a way to repel the mist. Magical crystals were found that contained the power to block the mists' movement, and have been used since then to guard the cities and villages of the world. The largest of the crystals are kept in the sprawling kingdoms, while smaller ones are used to guard the villages.

However, the power of the crystals is not infinite. The crystals have a lifespan of approximately one year, at which point their light dies and the mist pours through the now-dead barriers zones. In order to prevent the dissolution of the barriers, groups of adventurers are sent out every year to collect drops of a magical sap called Myrrh to recharge the crystals. These Crystal Caravans search for the Myrrh trees which contain the sacred liquid. But the trees are not easily found. The Miasma is only harmful to men and women, not beasts or monsters, and as such, the beasts of the world have taken up residence in the areas in which the rare Myrrh trees are found, blocking the Caravans from using them. The adventurers must battle through hordes of enemies in order to acquire the necessary amount of Myrrh required to recharge their town's crystal. You, and your friends play as members of one such Caravan.

Okay so, the plot in FF:CC is fairly sparse. But, considering that the focus of the game isn't on the plot, that's not a huge issue.

Gameplay

This category and the graphics category (my God) are where the game really impresses. Crystal Chronicles is primarily a multiplayer game. The single-player mode is certainly entertaining (I've actually played more of the single-player mode than I have the multiplayer mode) and I'll get to explaining it later. For the moment, I'm going to focus on the multiplyer experience.

The main element of the multi game is that each individual player absolutely requires a Gameboy Advance in order to play. There is no way around it. Instead of using the Gamecube controller, you connect your Gameboy advance to the console and use it instead. "Why," you ask? The main reason is because the GBA screen serves as your individual map and menu data for each person. Each player has their characters' personal inventory, stats and portion of the dungeon map displayed on the GBA screen. It's done this way so as to prevent the action in the game from being halted every ten seconds so somebody can re-shuffle their spells, equipment or items.

The other main element of the multi experience is communication. Because of the multi setup, verbalizing with your friends is absolutely required in order to progress in the game. If you're in the midst of kicking a Goblin's ass, and he hits you harder than you expected, and you don't have a Cure orb in your inventory, you'll actually have to say to your friends, "Dude, Cure Spell, CURE SPELL!!!" It's that kind of frantic communication and teamwork that makes Crystal Chronicles such a blast to play. I'll be as blunt as I can: as a multiplayer game, this game beats out almost every other multiplayer game I've ever played. It's just a megaton of fun.

Now, I'll bet you're wondering, "how the hell are you supposed to play the game if there's all that natsy mist everywhere?" Well, your caravan is in the possession of an item called the Crystal Chalice. The Chalice is a rather cumbersome artifact used to collect the Myrrh drops that you're questing for. The Chalice also serves as your protection from the Miasma. Attached to the top of the artifact is a crystal shard that keeps the Miasma at bay. What this does is it creates a "dome of protection" from the mist, about 15 to 20 feet in diameter. It's this protective area that keeps your party corralled together so that nobody heads off on their own. The issue is that the Chalice can't just walk around by itself. One unlucky individual is going to have to carry it around while the group is in motion, and then set it down to contribute in combat. All in all, it's not that big a deal. During boss fights it can be problematic sometimes, especially if your Chailce guy sets it down and the boss ends up accidentally kicking it away from your group, but it's an infrequent issue. One particularly nice addition to the multiplayer game is that if a character goes into GBA Mode (in other words, if they stop moving on the TV screen to use their characters' menu on the Gameboy screen) they are automatically dragged along with the "dome of protection" so they don't get left behind in the lethal mist.

So, how's the single-player? Fun! As I said before, I've actually played more of the single-player adventure than the multiplayer game, but that's mainly because of difficulties relating to finding other people to play it with. If you're intending to buy this game solely for the single-player experience, I would be a bit hesitant about it. However, if you've got the means to play multiplayer and you're interested in the single-player, I'd definitely recommend grabbing it.

The single-player experience is certainly entertaining. One benfit of it is that you can use a Gamecube controller instead of a Gameboy Advance. However, there is little done to accomodate the use of a controller over the GBA. The controller is still limited to the same control scheme as the GBA, with digital control for the joystick instead of enhanced analog. All in all, it's not a terrible thing, however. Many reviewers will try to convicne you that the limited control setup is a huge drawback to the game, but honestly I stopped noticing it after the first 20 minutes of playtime. Plus, the simple control setup actually makes using commands during the heat of battle a bit less frustrating. You're not stumbling over yourself while trying to execute commands.

Here's the control setup:

A Button: Primary Command. You use the A Button to use whatever command you have selected in your Command box at the top of the screen. Attack, defend, and commands like individual spells and items are used with A. You also speak to people and confirm menu selections with the A Button.

B Button: Contextual Command. This button is used to lift objects, drop objects and cancel selections in the menu.

Y Button (controller)/ Select Button (GBA): Opens your Command List menu. You can customize the A Button commands that appear at the top of the screen in this menu.

Start Button: Opens Full Menu (single-player)/ Opens GBA Mode (multiplayer). You can re-arrange your items, equipment, artifacts, letters or any other items in your inventory in this menu.

L/R Trigger: Cycles through your available commands. If you've currently got the Attack command set to your A Button, and you need to use a spell, just hit L or R to cycle through your selected commands at the top of the screen.

Joystick (controller)/ D-Pad (GBA): Move your character. The movement is always digital, so there's no "sneaking" or "steath" movement to be found.

As I said, pretty simple, but it works extremely well. The only honest downside is that the Defend option is practically worthless because of it. There's no possible way to hit Defend quickly enough to actually block an enemy's attacks, but in all honesty, there would be little reason to use it anyway. It's just as simple (and honestly a bit more interesting) to "stick and move" against your enemies than it is to slah, block, slash, block the entire time.

So, how is the Chalice handled duing single-player if you've only got one character to play with? You get your very own pet Moogle named, you guessed it, Mog to carry it around for you. He just follows you wherever you go, plus he doesn't take any damage from enemies and doesn't attack, so he never has to set the Chalice down. This eliminates that aggrivating boss-kicking-the-Chalice-around thing I told you about earlier.

The "experience" system in the game is a bit odd as well. You can kill as many damned floating eyeball monsters as you want, but you won't get any stronger because of it. All character improvement is done through various stat-boosting artifacts that you find throughout the levels. If you find one of those items, you'll get to hang onto it (and gain the stat boosts it grants) until the end of the level, at which point, each player gets to pick one to attach to his character permanently. How is the order of appointment decided? At the very beginning of each dungeon, each player will be notified on their GBA of a special task they must accomplish. They'll be things like "don't use magic" or "only kill goblins" or something to that effect. The game will then automatically tally who performed the best at their respective goal and whoever did the best job gets the first pick. Now, this may sound unfair on paper, but if your group is honestly working as a team, they'll leave an artifact that another player genuinely needs more than they do for their teammate. If you and your friends are being artifact hogs and screwing each other repeatedly, then you're kind of missing the point of the game, aren't you?

Whoo, as I said, Gameplay was going to be huge. The only other things to know are that all of your weapons and armor must be synthesized from materials you find in the dungeons or that you purchase from a merchant. Also, because of the fact that the dungeons make up 90% of the game area, there are no "random battles" on the world map. However, there are still "random encounters" of another kind. You'll randomly run into other caravans and converse with them briefly, or you'll see various other interesting events take place while on the road. Some are beneficial, most are entertaining, some are annoying, a few are detrimental. I actually got a shard of Iron stolen from me by a group of fucking Selkies the other night and I WILL HAVE THEIR HEADS FOR IT.

Graphics

I will be as brief as I can with this one. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles uses what I consider to be the most impressive full 3D graphics engine I've ever seen in a game. I don't own an XBox, so don't start screaming Crimson Skies at me. FF:CC's graphics are phenomenal. The water effects are almost perfect. Light refracts and filters through lakes and streams almost exactly as it would in real life. The animations are varied and lifelike, with Goblins scampering through dungeons and Moogles slowly bobbing in midair. The texture work is nearly unparalleled. One look at Mog's gently swaying fur will confirm this for you. The lighting effects, particle effects and other special effects are all top notch as well.

The character designs are actually some of my favorite designs I've seen in a Final Fantasy game to date. The Clavats are basically human (the "main character", the boy with the blond hair and green clothes, is a Clavat) and use a variety of swords as their weapons of choice. They live in numerous settlements throughout the world and live peacefully for the most part. The Selkies are a more tribal race of human, preferring to wander and often times seeking a life of thievery or merchantry (or often both) rather than a peaceful existence. They use a selection of "Rackets" which are basically magical weapons that fire projectiles. The Lilties are the short, dwarflike characters, and have an extremely militaristic view on life. They constantly seek combat and use a myriad of spears as their weapons of choice. The Yukes are tall birdlike creatues who have mastered the ways of magic and live a rather confined, mysterious existence. They are proficient with a number of clubs and staves.

The bosses are huge and very detailed, ranging from a giant horned war-crab equipped with special armor and bladed weapons to a monstrous, mutated Malboro that breathes noxious fumes and drools acidic slime. The enemies are very detailed as well, with fiery Bombs spewing embers and smoke and giant, armored trolls equipped with war hammers.

Sound

I've heard many reviewers say that FF:CC's music resembles that of a Renaissance Fair, but I don't really see it entirely. Yes, it is very medieval in feel, but it's not cheesy or cliche like anything youd hear at a Medieval Times establishment. I actually really like the music in the game. It has a lot in common with the soundtrack from Final Fantasy 9, and occasionally reminds me of the musical selection from Chrono Cross.

Sadly, there is little voicework to be found in the game. In fact, the only voicework to be found in Crystal Chronicles is at the beginning of each new dungeon, when a flowing, Galadriel-like voice gives the player a bit of information on the dungeon. Mostly things like, "My grandfather's, grandfather's grandfather once told stories of this place...etc, ect." Other than that, all in-game dialogue is done through text. Not a terrible thing, but more generous voicework would have been nice.

Flaws

The only major flaws I can see are the following.

1) If you want to play multiplayer, each person playing must use a Gameboy Advance. This is fine for someone like me, who consorts with nerds constantly and knows more friends that have GBAs than those who don't. For someone else, though, it can either be a bit tricky, or a bit pricey.

2) The single-player mode should have recieved more attention. Yes, it's fun, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend buying it solely for single-player. If you can find it for 30 bucks, I'd say "sure!" Otherwise, unless you are a hardcore Final Fantasy fanatic, I would tell you to spend your money elsewhere.

And that's about it. Honestly, I don't consider the spartan story to be a downside, because that's not what the game focuses on. The graphics and sound are great (the graphics being mind-boggling) and the gameplay is very fine-tuned for the multiplayer experience. As a multiplayer game, you'll be hard-pressed to find games that are honestly more entertaining.

Overall

If you have the means to play it with even one other person, buy it. If you can find two or three other people that have GBAs that are interested in playing, buy it, but it, buy it. If you are a total solo gamer, and all of your friends mock you for even owning a game console, then wait for Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes.

I think this game is fantastic. Yes, the single-player mode could have used more detailed controls and an expanded plot. Yes, the requirements for multiplayer seem a bit much. But, once you've played the game as it is meant to be played, you'll understand why it's so incredible.

Score: 9.0

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-02-26 at 03:53 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-02-26, 11:09 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Games: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles"
I've recently watched a friend of mine play this game in Single Player mode, and he was having a blast. It looked great, and your explanation was just as good as his to me in person about what the hell was going on.

Nice review, and once I get over my recent stint back into HALO (preparing for the release of HALO 2), I will surely get this game. Of course, if HALO 2's release get pushed back again, this will certainly be at the top of my list.

Hmm, maybe I'll just purchase it now and force myself to play it when I have free time. I have many games I've done that for. Good stuff.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-03-01, 02:18 AM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "I've recently watched a friend of mine..."
Yeah, like I said, single-player is fun, I'm just not entirely sure if I 'd recommend buying it solely for single-player. Just like I'm not sure if I'd recommend buying Mario Kart: Double Dash!! or Super Smash Bros. Melee just for single-player. Either way, the single-player is definitely fun, and the multiplayer is by far one of the most addictive gaming experiences I've ever had. It's a beautiful game, with great music and a ton of atmosphere. Plus, it's got Moogles, and Moogles kick the living ass out of nearly everything in the universe.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-03-01, 06:20 AM in reply to Raziel's post "Games: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles"
I wasn't going to get this game, but now it looks like I'm going to have to. I was going to get a GBA SP anyway, might as well connect it to this game along with my old, scratched up got-it-on-the-first-day-it-was-out GBA..

The GBA-only connection thing makes sense, but I wonder why it's not an option you can switch off?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-03-01, 07:23 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "I wasn't going to get this game, but..."
I couldn't really give you a satisfactory answer on that one. Why did Squaresoft insist on making the controls in FF Anthology un-customizable, but then decide to change that for FF Chronicles, and then decide to go back to the set-in-stone control scheme for FF Origins? Probably because they're Japanese and insane, two traits that are genetically inseparable, proven by such cinematic wonders as "Urotsukidoji" and "Water Closet 2".
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-03-01, 03:42 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I couldn't really give you a..."
does anyone know how much the adapters cost to let you play with your gba as a gamecube controler? also i am just assuming this will also work with gameboys sp.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2004-03-01, 03:53 PM in reply to Raziel's post "Games: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles"
Very nice quality review. Good job Raziel. I am getting this game soon but itll be single player only for me. Oh well, I can still have fun with it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPenguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Penguin

Posted 2004-03-01, 07:00 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "does anyone know how much the adapters..."
tidus2005 said:
does anyone know how much the adapters cost to let you play with your gba as a gamecube controler? also i am just assuming this will also work with gameboys sp.
$10, or you can get the off-brand for $7.

Also, yes, SP too.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-03-01, 11:28 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "$10, or you can get the off-brand for..."
Like I said, Penguin, the single-player is certainly fun. Although, I might recommend shopping around before paying MSRP for it. If you can find it for five or ten bucks cheaper, it'll be totally worth it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-03-01, 11:56 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Like I said, Penguin, the single-player..."
Got it off ebay brand new / sealed for about 35 bucks including shipping. ( I wanna play now, but it wont be here for like 4 days )
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPenguin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Penguin

Posted 2004-03-02, 12:01 AM in reply to Penguin's post starting "Got it off ebay brand new / sealed for..."
Holy shit, good deal, Penguin! Well, I'd say for 35 bucks, it's certainly worth it. Plus, if you ever do find yourself in the fortuitous situation of being able to play the multiplayer adventure, you can count on it being one of the most entertaining multiplayer experiences you'll ever have.

And yeah, EBay frustrates the hell out of me like that. My patience can only be stretched so far.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-03-02, 10:48 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Holy shit, good deal, Penguin! Well,..."
I'll probably get it once I have a GBA.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2004-03-03, 05:37 AM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "I'll probably get it once I have a GBA."
*psst*

You can play the single-player without a GBA. Unless you're strictly interested in it for the multiplayer game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2004-03-03, 07:14 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "*psst* You can play the..."
Well, I want it for both.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRurouni Storm is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rurouni Storm

Posted 2004-03-04, 07:29 PM in reply to Rurouni Storm's post starting "Well, I want it for both."
Omg, I love this game I'm doing single-player mode and it is pretty damn hard, but the Clavats are so versatile, it's not that bad right now
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack