Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Ricky Williams tells Dolphins he's retiring
Posted 2004-07-25, 05:12 PM
Crappy football news I just happened to stumble on. It sucks that He's gone, he is/was one of my favorite 'backs.

Credits: www.nfl.com

Ricky Williams tells Dolphins he's retiring

NFL.com wire reports

MIAMI (July 25, 2004) -- Ricky Williams has decided to retire at the peak of his career, stunning the Miami Dolphins and leaving them with an enormous void in their backfield one week before the start of training camp.

NFL Network

NFL Network

Analysis, opinions, features and more!

The 27-year-old Williams, who rushed for 3,225 yards in two seasons with the Dolphins, told them this week of his decision before leaving town, a team source told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

His retirement after just five NFL seasons caught the Dolphins by surprise. The news was first reported by The Miami Herald.

"You can't understand how free I feel," Williams told the Herald in a cell phone interview July 24 before boarding a plane in Hawaii and heading to Asia to begin several months of travel.

Long ambivalent about life in the sports spotlight, Williams said there's no chance he'll change his mind, and he plans to file his retirement papers with the NFL on July 26 or 27. He told coach Dave Wannstedt of his decision July 23 and said Wannstedt tried to persuade him to reconsider.

Miami opens camp July 30.

Williams won the Heisman Trophy at Texas in 1998, and former New Orleans Saints coach Mike Ditka used all of his draft picks to acquire the standout running back the following spring. Williams played three seasons for New Orleans but didn't blossom until he was dealt in 2002 for two first-round draft picks to the Dolphins.

It was the team's biggest trade since 1970, and at times it looked like a steal. Williams led the NFL in 2002 with 1,853 yards rushing and broke nine team records. Last season he ran for 1,372 yards despite little offensive support.

"I'd love to talk to him and try to talk him out of it," Ditka said from Chicago. "It seems kind of foolish to me, but I don't know what's on his mind. You're just destroying a great career. He's a talent. To let that all go to waste doesn't make a lot of sense."

In some ways Williams' decision to retire in his prime was not a surprise because he was never the stereotypical football player. His passions include shopping and photography, and in 2001 he was diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, a condition contributing to his extreme shyness. While with the Saints, he often conducted interviews while wearing his helmet. He said he felt like a weirdo in New Orleans but professed to be happy during his two seasons with Miami.

A vacation this offseason to Australia may have whetted his appetite for more travel. He returned from that trip sporting a shaved head instead of his distinctive dreadlocks.

He's not the first running back to retire at or near his peak. His friend Jim Brown quit at 30, Barry Sanders retired at 31 and Robert Smith quit at 28.

But his decision was deflating for South Florida sports fans, who had been buzzing about the Miami Heat's acquisition last week of Shaquille O'Neal.

The decision by Williams, who was to make about $3.5 million this season, is the latest setback in an abysmal offseason for the Dolphins. It started with a strange organizational reshuffling that included the hiring of former quarterback Dan Marino as vice president. He resigned 22 days later.

The Dolphins promoted running backs coach Joel Collier to offensive coordinator, but he later returned to his old job, citing health reasons. Tight end Randy McMichael was arrested following a domestic dispute, and Pro Bowl linebacker Zach Thomas underwent knee surgery that will force him to miss part of the exhibition season.

And now, due to the timing of Williams' retirement, the Dolphins head into training camp with few options for filling the position. Eddie George, who might have been a possibility, signed with the Dallas Cowboys this week.

For the moment the job belongs to fourth-year backup Travis Minor, who has yet to start an NFL game.

Wannstedt was out of town July 25 and not immediately available for comment. Phone messages left with Dolphins general manager Rick Spielman and Williams' agent, Leigh Steinberg, weren't returned.

John Bianco, assistant director for media relations at Texas, said Williams told him a few weeks ago he expected to make this season his last. Bianco said he anticipates that Williams will return to Texas to earn his degree in education and pursue work with children.

"He's always known his best years would come after football," Bianco said. "Football was a small part of his life."

AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Copyright 2004, The Associated Press, All Rights Reserved

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-07-25, 05:22 PM in reply to D3V's post "Ricky Williams tells Dolphins he's..."
Fucked up, man. He turned them from Super Bowl contenders to a mediocre team when he decided to retire.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2004-07-25, 05:22 PM in reply to D3V's post "Ricky Williams tells Dolphins he's..."
Holy fucking shit! Is this a joke?? Wow, the Fantasy Draft is going to change now. What interesting shit though!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-25, 05:25 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Holy fucking shit! Is this a joke?? ..."
What's amazing is he hasn't even been really hurt yet, he has So much potential. It's kind of depressing that he decided to retire.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2004-07-25, 08:04 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "What's amazing is he hasn't even been..."
He retired because he couldn't pass a drug test. He loves the leaf more than football, I can't remember where I heard this, except that I heard it from a reliable source... something on the radio. But yeah, stupid fuckin shit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2004-07-25, 08:06 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "He retired because he couldn't pass a..."
he seems so young to retire... That's kind of fuckin Miami over royally.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2004-07-25, 09:48 PM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "he seems so young to retire... That's..."
Yeah, and if I was a Dolphins fan I would probably be crying for a week. Sad thing is, I'm serious..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-07-25, 10:04 PM in reply to Titusfied's post starting "Yeah, and if I was a Dolphins fan I..."
Talk about pulling a Barry Sanders...
!King_Amazon! said:
Just ask the married chick he fucked.

Who Delivers ten times out of ten?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMightyJoe is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MightyJoe

Posted 2004-07-25, 10:09 PM in reply to MightyJoe's post starting "Talk about pulling a Barry Sanders..."
The thing is, even if he did get in trouble for the 'marijuana' in his system, he would probably pay a small fine and get a few months probation.

I'd be crying too, Titus.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2004-07-26, 01:27 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "The thing is, even if he did get in..."
I'd be loading my Ricky Williams killing gun.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2009-11-20, 04:21 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "I'd be loading my Ricky Williams..."
That's hilarious, i've never seen that comment.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V