Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > The Lounge

Post Stupid people taking tests
Posted 2003-08-27, 07:33 PM
Quick background - I go to a business school. The teachers like my level of ability - I get asked to be an administrator for a bunch of office tests. No big deal, I get paid for it (work study), so I say yes.

-------------

There's a Win 98 portion, a typing portion, and a proofreading portion.

For the Win 98 portion, the questions pop up on a nice little dialog box.

--------------

Dialog Box says: "Copy the folder C:\OPAC\OpacTestFolder to your floppy disk."

Random Woman 1: "I can't paste!"
Me: "Did you copy first?"
Random Woman 2: "Yes, I'll do it again, watch!"

(* proceeds to copy the WORDS "C:\OPAC\OpacTestFolder" and actually tries to paste THAT on the floppy.. forcing me to explain why that's wrong, even though I shouldn't have said anything *)

-------------

Random Guy 1: (Taking typing test) "Is it okay if I don't get a high score? My fingers recently got pins in them because I broke them, so they hurt a lot."

(* This guy applied for a DATA ENTRY job, knowing full well the amount of typing required. Also, the fact that WPM is tested should be a clue to the fact that a high WPM is expected. *)

--------------

Dialog Box says: "Use the Find Files or Folders function (Search in Windows 2000) to search for the file C:\OPAC\FOO\BAR.txt."

Random Guy 2: "I can't find this file"
Me: "You're not searching in the right place."

(He's actually trying to search in the Windows 2000 directory.. I guess it's a simple case of misreading the question, but it's a freakin' Win 98 machine)

----------------

Random Woman 2: "OHMYGOD OHMYGOD the computer is shutting down!!!!!!"
Me: "Click the "stop shutdown" button.

(The computers are on a script to shutdown at 4:00pm. 3 people in that room did NOT hit the stop shutdown button and I had to get them re-logged in. Yay for wasted time.)

-----------------

Random Guy 3: "Okay, I'm done proofreading, what do we do when we're done?"
Me: "Hit the Done button."

(This happened to 3 other people)

------------------

Me: "Just so you know, you get to take the typing test twice, and it'll keep your high score."
Random Woman 3: "Okay, twice then?"
Me: "Right."

(later)

Random Woman 3: "What do I do now?"
Me: "Did you go through the typing test twice?"
Random Woman 3: "We get to do that?"

-------------

Interesting day. I get to do this tomorrow as well.. This kind of stuff drives me nuts..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2003-08-27, 07:44 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
What morons. Tell them the wrong shit and have them fail!.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2003-08-27, 08:22 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
lol that i think was kinda funny, they are adults right? if they are, geez they are idiots.......... unless like they never used a computer before in their life
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
iceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweeniceman887 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

iceman887

Posted 2003-08-27, 08:59 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
iceman887 said:
lol that i think was kinda funny,
I use to be a shoe shinner now I sip Aunt Jamima, I go to sleep in Europe and wake back up in China. CLUB 977 The 80's Channel!!!!! -winamp radio is heaven on earth
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zagggon

Posted 2003-08-27, 10:44 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
dont wory kids! im almost done with my idiot bomb! once its complete all those "wheres the any key?" people will no longer be able to screw up the world for those of us deserving to live here.
i must not fear. fear is the mind killer. i will face my fears and when they are gone only i will remain.
Clan Laomainn.
Ne Parcas Nec Spernas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
haplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhaplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

haplo

Posted 2003-08-28, 06:21 AM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
Yes, these are adults. Most are 30+ years old.

They're applying for a computer-style job, where computer usage is specifically stated in the job description, and they have to take a computer test - there's no way anyone should've taken this test if they didn't know computers.. they were just idiots. Remember, only 2 of the above were actually computer-based idiocy - the others are all common-sense things. I have plenty more, but I didn't want to make the post much longer. And I get to do this again at 3:30 pm (GMT -5).

----------

Yet Another Random Woman: "I keep getting an error."

Error says: "There is no disk in drive A"

(* I put the floppy that's SITTING ON HER DESK into the drive.. *)

Me: "Try it now."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2003-08-28, 09:51 AM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
These people must be complete morons, I can do this stuff and I haven't even taken classes for it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2003-08-28, 12:00 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
i say kill them all. their too stupid to exist.
i must not fear. fear is the mind killer. i will face my fears and when they are gone only i will remain.
Clan Laomainn.
Ne Parcas Nec Spernas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
haplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhaplo is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

haplo

Posted 2003-08-28, 04:12 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
Ahh, done with TODAY'S testing.

------------------------

Me: "Okay, pop out the floppy disk.."

Random Fat Woman: "This button?"
(* Random Fat Woman hits RESET *)

------------------------

Dialog Box says: "Use the Find Files or Folders command (Search in Windows 2000) to find the file C:\OPAC\BlahBlah.txt

Random Bald Guy: "Hmm.. I'm confused."
Me: "Go to the Start menu, click Find."
Random Bald Guy: "Uhh.. Start.. and then what?"
Me: "Find." (I point to it.. he could NOT have missed it.)

(A little while later, I come back to him and notice he's still in the same question as before, without the Find dialog up. He's searching through the rest of the start menu, frantic in his quest to find the Find Files or Folders command.)

Me: "...It's right there, go back to Find, where I showed you."
Random Bald guy: "But the question says to use Find Files or Folders, that's just Find."
Me: "Yeah. See that?" (I point to the Files or Folders command that branches off of the Find command.. plainly visible)
Random Bald Guy: "Geez, I'm stupid."

--------------------------

Dialog Box: "Copy the folder C:\OPAC\TestFolder to your floppy."

Random Fat Woman (again): "How do I do this?"
Me: "Have you ever worked with files before?"
Random Fat Woman (again) "Well, when I applied I said I just have basic computer knowledge, and the receptionist said that's OK"

(* She thinks she has basic computer skills, yet she can't copy a folder. I'm willing to bet that most people think they're uber-1337 before they take (and fail) this basic computer knowledge test. *)

--------------------------

Dialog Box: "Open notepad."

(* I notice that a Random Woman opened Internet Explorer. *)

Random Woman: "I'm confused."

(* It's a 2-word command, it's NOT DIFFICULT. *)

------------------------

There's plenty more. Repeats of the above "I can take the test twice???? OMG" and the inability to hit "Done" when they're done again.

I think that the highest Win98 test score that day was a 60%. Lowest was like 5%.

One more day.. tommorrow at 4:00.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

BlueCube

Posted 2003-08-28, 04:27 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
i feel sory for u. my dad come home from work every day bitching bout same kinda shit. theres 5 yr olds out there with more computer knowledge than sum adults.
Clan Laomainn.
Ne Parcas Nec Spernas.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

haplo

Posted 2003-08-28, 04:47 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
Well, maybe it's an age factor? Most of us have been using computers for a relatively long time, so we find things easy and obvious. Who knows, maybe people will laugh at us in 20 years from now because we'll all be incompitent when it comes to flying spaceships or something similar. Hardly an event to take place in only 20 years from now, but hey, I can always dream.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-08-28, 04:51 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
I'd like to be int hat job man...you get to laugh at them afterwards
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2003-08-28, 05:33 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "Stupid people taking tests"
Most adults think they are geniuses because they can type and print a document. And that's good for most adults.

Every time something goes wrong with this computer, my step-father blames me when it's actually my dumbass mother's fault. He won't let me install shit into this computer, he said my mother has to do it(she doesn't know what is what, I have to point it out to her. She couldn't even take out our network card.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!