Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

View Poll Results: Do you CARE about RPG Maker 2003?
Of course I do! 24 80.00%
Heck no! 2 6.67%
I have no opinions, but I like to vote! 4 13.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Post RM2k3: Available NOW!
Posted 2003-06-03, 06:23 AM
Okay, if you even VISIT the RPG Maker 2000 section of Zelaron, then you are probably interested in hearing about RPG Maker 2003. I've downloaded it through a little Google-ing, so it shouldn't be too hard for you to find it yourself. On with the game!

As soon as you open RM2k3, you'll notice the interface - it's exactly the same. Just a few spruced-up icons. The RTP chipsets are the same as well, just cleaner and better-looking. At least it shouldn't be too confusing for you to navigate, right?

The first major part of any RPG is the world map and dungeons. You can't have a story or battles on a completely blank ocean, right? Here's where I found the first major upgrade - a random dungeon generator.
It allows you to pick a ceiling, floor, wall, etc. You just click a button. I tested it out for a world map, and it sucks for that. VERY badly. But, then, it's a DUNGEON generator, so I didn't expect much. I then told it to build a small cave area - a very decent first effort, and I can always improve on the map myself. A big time-saver if your map wasn't to be very complicated anyway.

Now that I have a dungeon to run around in, I need a character to run in it! In the Database, you'll notice a slew of new tabs, including the Class tab and the Battle Layout tab. I don't want to go into all of the new stuff here, so I'll focus on the best stuff.
The default Hero tab is very familiar, except for the lack of Alex as a default character. I'll chalk that one up to translation error, because his character and sprite is in the standard RTP folder. The Hero tab faces one of the problems with RM2k, the "Cut-off label bug". I'm not sure what the "Mighty Gro" checkbox does, so I looked it up in the Help and it's "Mighty Guard". I'll just have to make Alex myself, just by selecting the proper Face, Sprite, and Battle Sprite.

Ahh, yes, the Battle Sprite. As soon as I saw that, I clicked on the M. Groups tab and ignored everything but the Test Battle command. I have one thing to say - "HOLY CRAP!" The new battle system is a huge improvement over the old one, with a side-view for all your characters (using the Battle Sprites) and damage that appears on-screen, FF3 style. There's even the standard ATB bar at the bottom! I battled for a while, just to mess around.

The Conditions tab should be familiar, as well. This time, status effects can be helpful. Finally, Haste and Regen are possible! Not that anyone cares, I bet. At least I care..

Now there are an Animations tab and an Animations 2 tab. The Animations tab is the standard Battle Animation tab with a different name. The Animation 2 tab is where you set up various Animations to use with your battle characters. Not too complicated, but you'll have to like making your own animations to really enjoy this.

The Battle Layout tab allows you to show where your characters are on-screen during a battle, as well as the battle setup - the standard text-based bottom screen, or a screen showing the character's Face with the HP, MP, and ATB bar (Simply called the Time Bar in RM2K3.. bah, I'll still call it ATB). I still prefer the text version with the names.

The Class section lets you set up various classes (which you can change on the fly!) Alex is, of course, a "Hero A" class ("Hero B" is the female hero) but you can and should change the names of the classes.

I don't want this to go on too much longer, so I'll just summarize some of the main highlights:
  • You can set up different commands for different people (such as Magic for one person, and Tech for another).
  • The Events in the Event Layer are about the same, with a different translation of most commands.
  • Alex is cool.
  • The classes actually affect the character's growth - this might make for a FF5 - style Job system if implemented correctly.
  • You can set up a different animation for each status effect in battle.
  • Experimentation is still important to figure out some of the new features - But the help actually works on this version!
  • The Level ceiling is 99, the HP and MP ceilings are both 9999!

So if you don't mind the fact that Alex isn't default (GRR!!!!) then Google for it. Just don't forget that the RTP and the Program are two separate things...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2003-06-03, 07:02 AM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Dude that sounds pretty awesome, do you have an AIM adress, so you could send it to me?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Soup is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSoup is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Soup

Posted 2003-06-03, 07:19 AM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
does it have the capabilities of running on-line?

all i have to say is it's about time! i heard a WHILE ago when rm2k3 was first anounced that it would not be translated by anyone and was in japonese, thus never making it to the other side of the world...
.....Broke the rubba, busted another all up in ya motha, so how u feel like havin another baby brotha? Wha? dont studda, ya pants hangin so low ya new baby brotha can be ya new lova!......
My Personal Website!
www.dimensionforums.com
ÖWÑëÐ
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
"CRØNîC-KîLLå" is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between"CRØNîC-KîLLå" is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"

Posted 2003-06-03, 07:28 AM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Soup said:
Dude that sounds pretty awesome, do you have an AIM adress, so you could send it to me?
Nope, no AIM here. Use Google. "RM2K3" and "RM2K3 RTP" work wonders.

CRØNîC-KîLLå said:
does it have the capabilities of running on-line?
Nope.

CRØNîC-KîLLå said:
all i have to say is it's about time! i heard a WHILE ago when rm2k3 was first anounced that it would not be translated by anyone and was in japonese, thus never making it to the other side of the world...
Heh, as soon as they brought it out though, another "Don Miguel" popped up. Mine says "Translated by RPG Advocate". I'd still buy the official release, if it's ever really translated.

I was worried about the prospects of no RPG Maker 2003, as well..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2003-06-03, 04:42 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Wow, thanks a lot, BlueCube. I'm going to sticky this.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-03, 04:49 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
damn, i wish it would have capabilities of being multiplayer
.....Broke the rubba, busted another all up in ya motha, so how u feel like havin another baby brotha? Wha? dont studda, ya pants hangin so low ya new baby brotha can be ya new lova!......
My Personal Website!
www.dimensionforums.com
ÖWÑëÐ
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
"CRØNîC-KîLLå" is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between"CRØNîC-KîLLå" is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

"CRØNîC-KîLLå"

Posted 2003-06-03, 04:50 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Here is a link provided by BlueCube.

http://archives.rpginfinity.com/makers/rpg_maker_2003
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-03, 05:05 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
...and here is the 'official' translated RM2k3 site.

http://rm2k3-world.tk/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-03, 05:09 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Err... sorry for triple-posting.

[EDIT] Nvm... I found it.

http://rpgmaker2k3central.t35.com:8000/OutsideBox.htm

Go there. Then go to Downloads>RPG Advocate>and then download it (it contains the RM2k3 file and the RTP)

Last edited by NonGayMan; 2003-06-03 at 05:23 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-03, 05:29 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Here's where I got the RTP:

http://www.makeruniverse.com/modules...op=getit&lid=2

The installation bar disappeared in the middle of loading (so I couldn't see the % done while loading) but it eventually installed just fine. I'm wondering if that's a problem on my end and not of the RTP installer, though. So, if the % loading bar disappars while it's loading - ignore it!

<EDIT>

Quote:
Last edited by NonGayMan on 06-03-2003 at 07:23 PM
Ahh, you beat me to it by 3 minutes! Oh well, I should've refreshed before I went looking in my History and posting tthe link..

</EDIT>

Last edited by BlueCube; 2003-06-03 at 05:33 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

BlueCube

Posted 2003-06-03, 05:35 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
I downloaded the RTP and RM2k3, but now I am getting a message every time I try to create a new project.

'The project directory could not be created'

[EDIT] OMFG! Guess what? I fixed it... all I had to do was make it in a different folder.

Last edited by NonGayMan; 2003-06-03 at 05:38 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

NonGayMan

Posted 2003-06-03, 05:40 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Yeah, I had that problem too - it tried to put it in C:/RM2K/PROJECTS or something similar - but I didn't install it there, so there was no RM2K/PROJECTS for the game folder to go in. Fixed it the same way you did, heh.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

BlueCube

Posted 2003-06-03, 08:11 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
I have no options but i like to vote.

Stanley Cups
2015 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2014 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2013 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks. C-Jonathon Toews
2012 Stanley Cup Champions: The Los Angeles Kings. C-Dustin Brown
2011 Stanley Cup Champions: The Boston Bruins. C-Zdeno Chara
2010 Stanley Cup Champions: The Chicago Blackhawks C-Jonathon Toews
2009 Stanley Cup Champions: The Pittsburgh Penguins C-Sidney Crosby
2008 Stanley Cup Champions: The Detroit Red Wings C-Nicklas Lidstrom
2007 Stanley Cup Champions: The Ducks Of Anaheim C-Scott Neidermayer
2006 Stanley Cup Champions: The Carolina Hurricanes C-Rod Brind'Amour
2004 Stanley Cup Champions: The Tampa Bay Lightning C-Dave Andreychuk

Longevity

TWELVE YEAR VETERAN (October 2002)

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
quikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifequikspy67 shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

quikspy67

Posted 2003-06-04, 01:15 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
i cant believe its finally out. however its not much different. i was hoping for improved graphics the new battle system is definetly pimp though.

Twenty-eight days... six hours... forty-two minutes... twelve seconds. That, is when the world will end.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zeal311 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzeal311 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zeal311

Posted 2003-06-04, 01:29 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
I was hoping for a fully-customizable 3d engine ;/
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2003-06-04, 03:09 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Chruser said:
I was hoping for a fully-customizable 3d engine ;/
Keep dreaming, it may come true one day!

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2003-06-04, 04:52 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Yea, although I dont know if I will use it >_>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tacoX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentacoX is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tacoX

Posted 2003-06-19, 08:38 AM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
You should be able to get it online (thinking of all the MMORPG's out there). I think you'll have to script though... And one can script an own engine.

(My english may be rusty, at least a bit a/an and some subtle grammar).

Have A Nice Day - Drink Water - Live Well - Don't Go To Hell
Tá mé go ólta..!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rassmus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRassmus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rassmus

Posted 2003-08-15, 07:35 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
Don Miguel said awell ago that he would not be translating it.

You can also import RM2K games into RM2K3 except if the game maker used custom character sets u won't have proper battle animations.

You also might need to import some RM2K RTP stuff since some on the RM2K3 ones have different names.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~

Last edited by Ty-Rant; 2003-08-18 at 06:03 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2003-08-15, 07:47 PM in reply to BlueCube's post "RM2k3: Available NOW!"
It matters not whether you win or lose; what matters is whether I win or lose.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Shining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzShining Knights enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Shining Knights