Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Posted 2009-06-17, 06:53 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Except for the fact that I get 4..."
Sum Yung Guy said: [Goto]
Except for the fact that I get 4 seconds or less windows fully loaded from turning on my computer. The harddrives are the biggest money eater in my system but they will remove that one major bottleneck most computer and your computer have. What about your monitor? You mentioned nothing about that.

That's not true at all. When they say it turns on quickly, it is referring to the fact that the motherboard runs POST and finishes very quickly so that it can get onto the boot process. Mine says it starts in 5-seconds or less (which it technically does). And in reality, my Windows 7 will start up far faster than your XP any day. Why? Because Win 7 starts up in about half the time of Win XP. So who's is better? Mine still.

-----
Monitor is a 24" and 19". 24" is by Dell (It looks really nice and great price). 19" is old monitor (Still good though). I run dual screens. The 24" would add about $150 dollars to the price. Bringing it to the approx cost of $2450.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-06-17, 07:09 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "That's not true at all. When they say..."
So from when you push the power button all the way to windows loading up with a functional start menu how long does it take? Just curious because maybe I might just go win 7... maybe
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-17, 08:37 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "So from when you push the power button..."
So from when you push the power button all the way to windows loading up with a functional start menu how long does it take? Just curious because maybe I might just go win 7... maybe
7: 10-20 seconds.
XP: 30-45 seconds.

XP takes far longer for whatever reasons and startup programs start far slower. Both Vista and 7 start up a lot faster and startup the programs at a far faster pace.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-06-17, 04:28 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "7: 10-20 seconds. XP: 30-45 seconds. ..."
Random Q. How long will I be able to use Windows 7 (What are you using? A release candidate?) before MS deactivates it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-06-17, 06:02 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Random Q. How long will I be able to..."
Grav said: [Goto]
Random Q. How long will I be able to use Windows 7 (What are you using? A release candidate?) before MS deactivates it?

Well there's an, uh huh, time nuke. Otherwise, the RC expires June 2010 if I'm not mistaken.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-06-18, 12:24 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Random Q. How long will I be able to..."
Grav said: [Goto]
RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You'll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-18, 12:27 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "7: 10-20 seconds. XP: 30-45 seconds. ..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
7: 10-20 seconds.
XP: 30-45 seconds.

XP takes far longer for whatever reasons and startup programs start far slower. Both Vista and 7 start up a lot faster and startup the programs at a far faster pace.
SSD vs 7,200rpm HD
BORKED
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-18, 06:17 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "SSD vs 7,200rpm HD..."
SSD vs 7,200rpm HD
BORKED

I have the Seagate Cheetah 15.6k (450GB at 15000RPM) as my primary HDD now. The stats I showed you were when I first bought it. That's most likely why mine starts so fast.

You know SYG, that you have to consider that age of the computer in the equation. Because I have 20-30+ items opening upon startup. But, the my Cheetah has outperformed SSD in tests. I picked this drive carefully.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2009-06-18 at 06:23 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:01 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I have the Seagate Cheetah 15.6k (450GB..."
I think your just trying to find reasons why your old fashioned hard drive that consumes a lot more power and makes a lot more noise is better than a SSD. As soon as I finish getting the parts and complete my system I will make a video of the startup process.

edit:
But, the my Cheetah has outperformed SSD in tests. I picked this drive carefully.
You did the test yourself on your system that has the Cheetah? Slapped in a SSD to see that your Cheetah was faster?

Last edited by Sum Yung Guy; 2009-06-18 at 08:03 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:12 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I think your just trying to find..."
GLG reminds me of
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:14 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "GLG reminds me of"
One of those guy's at school/work that always will one up people in conversations.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:16 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "One of those guy's at school/work that..."
And he does this because
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:17 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "And he does this because"
he has a small
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:19 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "he has a small"
Amount of self esteem and
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:21 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Amount of self esteem and"
and at a young age he was
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:34 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I think your just trying to find..."
Sorry for the last thing I wrote. I wrote that when I'd literally just woken up. I had a hard time understanding what I was saying.

I think your just trying to find reasons why your old fashioned hard drive that consumes a lot more power and makes a lot more noise is better than a SSD. As soon as I finish getting the parts and complete my system I will make a video of the startup process.

Wow, noise. Who the fuck cares. My computer without the hard drives makes a hela-fucking lot of noise. I can't stand when people complain about noise. For shits sake, if you want a fucking monster, don't fucking complain about the noise.

Sorry, I got a little angry there because I really can't stand people who complain about noise. Why? Because in the end it's not really that loud, it's all in the persons paranoid head.

You did the test yourself on your system that has the Cheetah? Slapped in a SSD to see that your Cheetah was faster?

I don't have any SSD. But when I was looking for a super fast drive I did lots of research and found some tests between SSD and Cheetah 15k. The Cheetah was the winner overall performance (so that means it won some and lost some). However, upon quickly searching, I could not relocate the test results I'd found. But, that doesn't mean I direct you towards a review of the Cheetah.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...as,2004-3.html
Quote:
The average access time of 5.7 ms cannot match the 0.5 ms or less we find with flash SSDs, but this drive still delivers best-of-class access times. In fact, it’s interesting to see that the Cheetah 15K.6 is actually head to head with the 2.5” Savvio 15K.1, which has been the fastest in access time so far."
That's all in milliseconds. A mere .7 or so milliseconds away.

The main problem found in SSD, though, is the fact that they are currently still fairly new. With that, there are many problems that they have. And changes that will probably come within the near future may fix them. I wouldn't bother buying one until they're larger and more stable.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-06-18, 08:35 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "and at a young age he was"
Ostracized for his diminutive size

Edit: way to fuck everything up like you always do GLG
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2009-06-18, 10:09 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Ostracized for his diminutive size ..."
Yo, I have an extremely high self esteem. I think you have the wrong person in mind. I can speak/write in three languages fluently, program in 9 programming languages fluently, and 8 other programming languages which I understand but am not yet completely fluent in. I have an ultra computer, and haves tons of free time on my hands, or off them. I have an exceptional girlfriend who lives 10-minutes walking distance from my house. I have a breathing, living, family with parents. I graduated high school without even trying. Why wouldn't I be happy with a high self esteem, vanity, and ego?

Now, back to the topic, spammer.
--------------------------------
Get on with it. Still waiting for reply.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-06-18, 10:22 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Yo, I have an extremely high self..."
Yo, I have an extremely high self esteem. I think you have the wrong person in mind. I can speak/write in three languages fluently, program in 9 programming languages fluently, and 8 other programming languages which I understand but am not yet completely fluent in. I have an ultra computer, and haves tons of free time on my hands, or off them. I have an exceptional girlfriend who lives 10-minutes walking distance from my house. I have a breathing, living, family with parents. I graduated high school without even trying. Why wouldn't I be happy with a high self esteem, vanity, and ego?
So you're spoiled and know now nothing of the harsh realities of life as SYG does. That's even worse.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2009-06-18, 10:25 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Yo, I have an extremely high self..."
To a fault.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy