Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Posted 2007-05-08, 09:24 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "http://www.ubuntu.com/"
Yea man, if you need any help you can IM me, try IMing me after 9:00pm eastern time if you want to talk. I'll be on, so just hit me up after that time on most days. Sorry I've been inactive I went to Memphis, Tennessee
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JoshTheftAuto

Posted 2007-05-17, 12:21 AM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "Yea man, if you need any help you can..."
So, installed Ubuntu and Beryl. To be honest, I'm not really impressed with either.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-05-18, 12:14 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "So, installed Ubuntu and Beryl. To be..."
mjordan2nd said:
So, installed Ubuntu and Beryl. To be honest, I'm not really impressed with either.
What, you don't see why anyone would want their windows to catch fire every time they close one? Me either.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2007-05-18, 12:25 PM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "What, you don't see why anyone would..."
Mantralord said:
What, you don't see why anyone would want their windows to catch fire every time they close one? Me either.

It's not that...it's horrendously buggy.

And whenever I go to get help with it, I get "It's not a problem with Beryl, it's everything else."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-05-18, 12:56 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "It's not that...it's horrendously..."
And thus we have the biggest problem with the open source community: the fact that they're slow as hell in doing anything. It'll take forever for Beryl to be even remotely stable. Probably around 5 years. By then, we'll have the next version of Windows.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord

Posted 2007-05-19, 07:02 AM in reply to Mantralord's post starting "And thus we have the biggest problem..."
AHAHAHAHAHAHA, horrendously buggy? I'd consider that more along the lines of user error, if done right there's not a single bug, how can you even suggest that linux has more bugs than windows? I haven't had to restart my computer in forever, nor has it crashed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJoshTheftAuto is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JoshTheftAuto

Posted 2007-05-19, 07:44 AM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "AHAHAHAHAHAHA, horrendously buggy? I'd..."
JoshTheftAuto said:
AHAHAHAHAHAHA, horrendously buggy? I'd consider that more along the lines of user error, if done right there's not a single bug, how can you even suggest that linux has more bugs than windows? I haven't had to restart my computer in forever, nor has it crashed.
No, I'm saying that Beryl has more bugs than Windows. Or according to the Beryl guys, all my other software is horrendously buggy.

And I ain't exactly what you'd call a guru, but I know my way around a *nix box.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2007-05-19 at 07:50 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-05-19, 07:31 PM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "AHAHAHAHAHAHA, horrendously buggy? I'd..."
You Ubuntu guys are more annoying the Mac guys.

Lemme know when you get... ummm.. 2% of marketshare. Kthanx.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2007-05-20, 02:39 AM in reply to JoshTheftAuto's post starting "AHAHAHAHAHAHA, horrendously buggy? I'd..."
JoshTheftAuto said:
Linux is arguably stabler than Windows. I'll acquiesce to that, even though I believe in the nearly 2 years I've used XP it's crashed only once on me.

It's free. Most people would consider that an advantage over Windows. Not having to pay for something is good. Its software alternatives are comparable to that of Windows.

For most users, it's not the ideal desktop environment, though. It's lacking in certain key areas.

It is not easier to use and set up than Windows. That is an enormous exaggeration that I see a lot of *nix users put out, myself included a few years ago. Linux is definitely harder to use than Windows.

For one, many things even in Ubuntu require at least some level of CLI knowledge. Though this is simple once you are used to syntax, it is certainly intimidating to a newbie.

Hardware support is limited in comparison to Windows. No, this is not a fault of *nix developers, but it's an advantage that Windows has over Linux.

Open-source software is often incomplete and buggy. My complaint is when you download something, you don't really know what you're getting. Beryl, for instance, causes problems with my video drivers. My computer isn't horrendously old, nor is it straight out of the box. I got it in March '06.

Linux offers a lot of customizability but tweaking and customizing your environment is certainly not a simple task, a fact that *nix proponents often fail to mention.

Furthermore, I understand, even with open-source it is more often user error than program error. Being a user, I fall into that category. I'm not claiming to be infallible. However, I do tend to do my research before I complain about something. It's a known issue with Beryl.

I'd appreciate it if you could keep snide written laughter to a minimal. If you must laugh at me, please read the entire post that you are laughing at, and make sure you're correct on the matter. Otherwise it just makes you look weak. Yes, when replying to Mantra I used pronouns in my first sentence. Shame on me. Later on in the post, though, I clarified that I was referring to Beryl and not Linux. It's highly insulting to be laughed at by someone who described the terminal as being analogous to the Windows registry. It hurts my ego. I have no choice but to go cut myself now. Thanks a lot.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-05-20, 05:57 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Linux is arguably stabler than Windows...."
I cant figure out how to fucking install ubuntu on my PS3
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight