Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

I need good recommendations
Posted 2007-12-27, 02:41 PM
I've got $50 to spend at Barnes & Noble and I have no leads on any good books. In the previous book thread we had here, I pretty much took everything you guys said literally and some of you had some pretty good preferences.

I especially liked World War Z, recommended by Vault Dweller. I'm into anything post-apocalyptic or tragedy on a global scale such as The Stand or World War Z. I just got done reading a book from the 70's about a comet that hits earth and forces the survivors into the mountains.

I also enjoy a nice witty, fast-paced thriller as well.

Basically, I need some good books!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-12-27, 02:48 PM in reply to Thanatos's post "I need good recommendations"
A belated christmas present for your friend D3v.

http://www.amazon.com/Atari-25649-Ty...791936&sr=8-21

Ever think of Stephen Colbert's book? I don't know much about it since I don't like reading books, but if I was going to read one I'd probably pick that one. I'm not sure how much you're into satire though.

---------------------------------------------------------

http://www.amazon.com/Am-America-So-.../dp/0446580503

4.5/5 stars based off 276 reviews, but I'm sure they're fanboys.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-12-27, 02:59 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "A belated christmas present for your..."
I actually thought about buying that book before, as I do like watching the Colbert Report occasionally. We'll see if they have it in stock at B&N.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2007-12-27, 03:09 PM in reply to Thanatos's post "I need good recommendations"
Anything Dickens. Anything Hemingway. For the more pedestrian pursuits, try The Onion's "Our Dumb Century" or "Our Dumb World."

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2008-01-23 at 02:00 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-12-27, 03:53 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Anything Dickens. Anything Hemingway...."
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе said:
Anything Dickens.
Oh. My. God. I loathe....I mega-loathe that man.

Jizmo, Ender's Game is one of my favorite books. It's not exactly what you seem to be looking for, but it's pretty damned good. If you haven't read it, it's one I strongly reccomend. It's probably my favorite fiction book not written my Vonnegut.

Crichton is pretty good too. You could check out some of his stuff.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2007-12-31 at 02:02 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-12-27, 04:23 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Oh. My. God. I loathe....I mega-loathe..."
mjordan2nd said:
Oh. My. God. I loathe....I mega-loathe that man.
For his opinions or his writing style? Obviously his writing is verbose, even garrulous, but it is understandable given the conditions he wrote under. It is that sort of baroque prose I particularly enjoy mucking through. It requires a deep attention span to be sure.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2007-12-27, 04:45 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "For his opinions or his writing style?..."
Grаν¡tоnЅurgе said:
For his opinions or his writing style? Obviously his writing is verbose, even garrulous, but it is understandable given the conditions he wrote under. It is that sort of baroque prose I particularly enjoy mucking through. It requires a deep attention span to be sure.
His writing style. It is an attention span that I simply don't have.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-12-27, 04:47 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "His writing style. It is an attention..."
I'm actually starting Dickens' Hard Times right now. I haven't made it even past the introduction, and I've already got a solid twenty or so words jotted down to check the definitions of.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2007-12-27, 04:50 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "I'm actually starting Dickens' Hard..."
True, reading such books certainly increases your vocabulary. But I find the same thing from non-fiction books, and I find them more enjoyable. In fact, I think I would fine a textbook on geology more enjoyable than Dickens. I really don't know what I have against him, I just remember being miserable in my 9th grade English class.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-12-27, 05:00 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "True, reading such books certainly..."
The sad part is Dickens didn't even write the introduction. However, I'll share with you several quotes that surprised me, and are an indication of how writing can easily transcend the realm of fiction for fiction's sake:

Quote:
At the same time, it operates as a critique on certain forms of 'useful facts' rather than than to introduce them in any way to the world of the imagination, to concepts of aesthetic pleasure removed from functionality, and to the idea that compassionate understanding of the lives and circumstances of others is of infintely more use than the accumulation of knowledge.
Quote:
'Blitzer,' he implores, pathetically, 'have you a heart?'
'The circulation, sir,' returned Blitzer, smiling at the oddity of the question, 'couldn't be carried on without one. No man, sir, aquainted with the facts established by Harvey relating to the circulation of the blood, can doubt that I have a heart.'
'Is it accessible,' cried Mr. Gradgrind, 'to any compassionate influence?'
'It is accessible to Reason, sir,' returned the excellent young man. 'And to nothing else.'
Quote:
It does not seem to me to be enough to say of any description that it is the exact truth. The exact truth must be there; but the merit or art in the narrator, is the manner of stating the truth.
Not Dickens said:
...the great cry that rises from all our manufacturing cities, louder than their furnace blast... that we manufacture everything except men; we blanch cotton, and strengthen steel, and refine sugar, and shape pottery; but to brighten, to strengthen, to refine, or to reform a single living spirit, never enters into our estimate of advantages.

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2007-12-27 at 05:08 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Grav

Posted 2007-12-27, 05:06 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "The sad part is Dickens didn't even..."
All very astute statements, in my opinion. I especially like the second one, because I feel I can relate to Blitzer in that sense.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-12-28, 07:12 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Oh. My. God. I loathe....I mega-loathe..."
mjordan2nd said:
Thanatos, Ender's Game is one of my favorite books. It's not exactly what you seem to be looking for, but it's pretty damned good. If you haven't read it, it's one I strongly reccomend. It's probably my favorite fiction book not written my Vonnegut.
I've read the whole Ender and Bean series I think twice now. Great books.

mj said:
Crichton is pretty good too. You could check out some of his stuff.
Never heard of him, but I'll look into it. Thanks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2008-01-13, 11:49 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I've read the whole Ender and Bean..."
I don't know if you're into factual stuff, but The God Theory by Bernard Haisch pretty much changed my life. Haisch is an astrophysicist who has been so for the past thirty years. He outright dismisses anything close to a dogmatic approach to the question everyone asks. "Is there a God?" He has developed a theory based on scientific facts which leaves nothing to faith.

It's really good, I was glad to see someone who could form a world view with the experience and facts to back it up.

Even if you're firmly set in a Religion (including skeptical Scientism) it's a very informative work which covers a variety of topics.

(It is a theory not a religion.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-13, 09:25 PM in reply to Thanatos's post "I need good recommendations"
The Zombie Survival Guide. It's written by the same guy who wrote World War Z.

Both are great books.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2008-01-14, 11:03 AM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "The Zombie Survival Guide. It's written..."
Yeah I thought about purchasing that, although I just picked up World War Z again. Such a damn good book!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2008-01-14, 05:21 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Yeah I thought about purchasing that,..."
The Riftwar series is the best fantasy series I've ever read if you're into fantasy. Begin with Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-01-22, 07:22 PM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "The Zombie Survival Guide. It's written..."
Dar_Win said:
The Zombie Survival Guide. It's written by the same guy who wrote World War Z.

Both are great books.
The Zombie Survival Guide truly is excellent.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-01-22, 09:39 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "The Zombie Survival Guide truly is..."
Atnas, have you read World War Z?

Well, looks like I'm going to get The Zombie Survival Guide this weekend. If it's anything like World War Z, I'm sure I'll like it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Thanatos

Posted 2008-01-24, 12:51 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Atnas, have you read World War Z? ..."
It's more of a manual than a narrative. Still, it is an indispensible piece of literature.

The Hitchhiker's Guide is always good. Neuromancer by William Gibson is pretty cool if you're at all interested in cyberpunk. Crichton's Sphere was one of my favorites back in high school.

I also recommend Bruce Campbell's autobiography, If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor. An amazingly entertaining non fiction read.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2008-01-24, 03:40 AM in reply to Thanatos's post "I need good recommendations"
I remember reading some book named Moonseed a long long time ago. I think the author was Stephen Baxter. He wrote anothe rone called Titan. I can't remember much about them though
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign