Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Catholic Mom Flips on Atheist Son
Posted 2007-04-11, 05:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Aq00yJSxo
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-04-11, 05:50 PM in reply to KagomJack's post "Catholic Mom Flips on Atheist Son"
Hahaha. You Americans are all crazy.

The bit about Christmas amuses me, though - surely if she's so Catholic, she wouldn't be bothering with presents for Christmas because that takes the whole meaning out of it, no?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-12, 07:05 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Hahaha. You Americans are all crazy. :p..."
Lenny said:
Hahaha. You Americans are all crazy.

The bit about Christmas amuses me, though - surely if she's so Catholic, she wouldn't be bothering with presents for Christmas because that takes the whole meaning out of it, no?
That's the part that has always confused me about giving gifts on Christmas, it seems to me that anyone you present a gift to is equated with Jesus, which I would think would be labelled as blasphemy.

Being non-Christian myself, I haven't actually heard why this practice was adopted.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-04-12, 07:15 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "That's the part that has always..."
It all boils down to the Pagans, I think.

And there's probably some kind of Pagan roots in the whole story of Christmas, including the gifts from the Wise Men - which is where our own gift-giving might come from.

Either way, who are we to argue with it? It's not as if we dislike getting gifts at Christmas, is it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-12, 07:31 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "It all boils down to the Pagans, I..."
First thing that happens whenever something funny is posted on youtube.

"It's fake"

haha.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2007-04-13, 10:43 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "First thing that happens whenever..."
Thats pretty funny... pretty ridiculous, too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2007-04-13, 01:24 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "That's the part that has always..."
Yea, well first its the gift to jesus from the wise men. Then there's the story of St.Nicholas (santa clause)...
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2007-04-13, 01:43 PM in reply to klo's post starting "Yea, well first its the gift to jesus..."
True, but many things can still trace their way back to before Christianity - for example, the legend of St Nicholas in the Netherlands and in Flanders has him riding a horse over rooftops, which is thought have been derived from Odin's riding through the sky on a horse. He also has assistants, the Zwarte Pietin (Black Peters), which are thought of as remnants of the legend of the ravens that accompanied Wodan.

Nicholas may have been a real person who gave out gives through the goodness of his heart, but modern Christmas has pre-Christian ideas to thank for it's current state.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-13, 01:53 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "True, but many things can still trace..."
Maybe, never looked into it that much, but the whole date thing is obviously jesus birthday, and the wise men brought gifts. And now everyone celebrates christmas (the name too....christ mas....) even if they are not christian. Well, most people in some way or form.
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2007-04-13, 03:06 PM in reply to klo's post starting "Maybe, never looked into it that much,..."
Me neither, I had a quick search on Wikipedia.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-13, 03:15 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Me neither, I had a quick search on..."
lol, I'm not an internet/computer mastermind. I usually have kaneda do that shit for me. look up/design w/e. lol.
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

klo

Posted 2007-04-13, 05:50 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "It all boils down to the Pagans, I..."
Lenny said:
It all boils down to the Pagans, I think.
Honestly, it does. Most of our modern Holidays coincide very closely with many Pagan (and largely Celtic) holidays.

I think that Christmas was based to 'replace' the Winter Solstice. Lemme see if I can grab Wikipedia's entry on Yule, I think it supports this as I've read about it in various books...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yule#Co...dern_Christmas

If you check other holidays, the dates line up pretty accurately.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-04-13, 05:54 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Honestly, it does. Most of our modern..."
Makes you wonder what the first true religion was, or idea of gods or whatnot. It seems that every culture with it's own religion has based it on something else, and then built upon it. Which means that they've probably all grown from the original Religion.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-13, 05:57 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Makes you wonder what the first true..."
I'm not certain what the first 'religion' was, I believe most spiritual beliefs had to do with peoples' ancestors watching over them, or Polytheistic beliefs regarding the behavior of primal forces.

I haven't looked into it that much, honestly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-04-13, 05:59 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I'm not certain what the first..."
It's something that an academic or a scholar would probably spend their whole life working on, I think.

And until then, well, SFF writers have completely free reign over it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-13, 06:03 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "It's something that an academic or a..."
True enough, but it is an interesting question. Considering I have about nothing to do while I'm at work, I may look it up. Might not be as interesting as Astrophysics on 2 hours of sleep though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-04-13, 06:05 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Makes you wonder what the first true..."
Lenny said:
Which means that they've probably all grown from the original Religion.
I wouldn't think so, actually. My guess would be that all modern religions have their basis in a group of few original religions. I'll explain why I think so later.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-13, 06:06 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "True enough, but it is an interesting..."
Oooh, now there's something I wouldn't mind reading about - Astrophysics. I'd be doing A-Level Physics if it were all that and nuclear physics, but it isn't, so I don't.

Have fun! Be sure to report back to us on what you find.

---

Oooh! And now we have MJ involved, too! You know, this could make an interesting debate in the Opinions and Debate forum - not a debate competition debate, though, simply because if a debate about an original Religion really takes off, you'd probably be looking at a few hundred posts easily, and quite a few people involved.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2007-04-13, 06:07 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "True enough, but it is an interesting..."
Vollstrecker said:
True enough, but it is an interesting question. Considering I have about nothing to do while I'm at work, I may look it up. Might not be as interesting as Astrophysics on 2 hours of sleep though.
Now that's the shit. I love GR/QM.

I'm actually going to a lecture and meet Stephen Hawking this weekend.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2007-04-13 at 06:35 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-04-13, 06:44 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Now that's the shit. I love GR/QM. ..."
mjordan2nd said:
Now that's the shit. I love GR/QM.

I'm actually going to a lecture and meet Stephen Hawking this weekend.
Nice, most of my interest is personal, as my Math skills are lacking so I am unable to take much College level Science until I catch up. I have yet to take Trig+, so it'll be a while.

It's all highly fascinating, as I've always been a fan of Physics, I wish I could fully understand it all, but that's gonna have to wait, sadly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker