Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Slow machine
Posted 2005-07-14, 08:28 PM
WoW has been working extremely slowly for me, lately. I noticed this yesterday, the first time I played since coming home from vacation. On my vacation, I downloaded bittorrent. That is the only thing I changed as far as I know. Now, all of a sudden, WoW is running like I'm in Orgrimmar the whole time. I don't know what I might have done since this has never happend before. I did 2 virus scanse, 2 spyware searches (using AVG's anti-virus software and Lavasoft's Adaware), defragged my machine, packet sniffed my machine, and checked the processes multiple times. Everything seems okay to me. Virus scanning and spyware scanning turned up negative. Defragging didn't seem to do anything for me. All packets sent and recieved over a period of 3 minutes were expected -- meaning there isn't anything utilizing my network without me knowing. I don't know if the processes are correct, but it doesn't look like anything is running that shouldn't be. Furthermore, even Yahoo pool gets extremely sluggish when I'm running 2 instances of firefox or if I get an invitation or something. My latency is <100 on WoW. I don't know what could possibly be going wrong. Checking the WoW server forums, there doesn't seem to be any problem with burning legion, and i've never heard anyone having problems with WoW and Bittorrent being on the same machine (mind you, bittorrent is always off when I play WoW or pool). After uninstalling bittorrent, my machine was still slow. The only thing I've changed since then is I've got bittorrent and the new patch. I don't know anything else that could be effecting the performance of my machine.

Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to have to format this thing.

If this helps, here's my process list:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled.JPG (74.8 KB, 13 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-07-14, 08:31 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Slow machine"
Maybe your ram fried or your video card is dead or something, if your latency is low then that shouldn't be the cause of your lag, and it's probably something hardware related. I don't see anything fishy in your processes.

Not a pro, the above could be and is very likely wrong.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-07-14, 08:37 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Maybe your ram fried or your video card..."
Well you're process list looks pristene, Did you try re-install?

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2005-07-14, 08:39 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Maybe your ram fried or your video card..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Maybe your ram fried or your video card is dead or something, if your latency is low then that shouldn't be the cause of your lag, and it's probably something hardware related. I don't see anything fishy in your processes.

Not a pro, the above could be and is very likely wrong.
Thanks.

I haven't tried reinstalling WoW yet. Guess I'll give it a go, but that still wouldn't explain the problems I'm having with pool.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-07-14, 10:47 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Thanks. I haven't tried..."
Maybe try updating video drivers or something.

I don't think it's your client messing up. It really sounds like a hardware problem if you didn't change anything but downloading bittorrent and getting the patch.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-07-14, 10:54 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Maybe try updating video drivers or..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Maybe try updating video drivers or something.

I don't think it's your client messing up. It really sounds like a hardware problem if you didn't change anything but downloading bittorrent and getting the patch.
Honestly, I hope that's not the case. Were this a desktop, it would be easy for me to replace the defective part, but since this is a laptop, I have no idea how to perform such a repair. Honestly, it would be one of the weirdest hardware problems I've ever encountered. Normally when you see a hardware problem you see definitive and obvious problems, but this is a lot more subtle. Only a few things are messing up, and even that, not so badly. I'll try updating drivers, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-07-14, 10:55 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Honestly, I hope that's not the case...."
Check and see how much RAM your computer thinks it has. I doubt that's the problem, since I think if your ram were to fry or something, your computer would give you an error at boot.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-07-14, 10:57 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Check and see how much RAM your..."
gimme your account info and I'll play ur character while you cant ^
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2005-07-14, 11:04 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Check and see how much RAM your..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Check and see how much RAM your computer thinks it has. I doubt that's the problem, since I think if your ram were to fry or something, your computer would give you an error at boot.
Viewing system info from My Computer says I have 512. If I'm supposed to check elsewhere, please let me know.

Oh, and no thanks, KR.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-07-14, 11:11 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Viewing system info from My Computer..."
Well that should be accurate then.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-07-16, 11:06 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Well that should be accurate then."
!King_Amazon! said:
Well that should be accurate then.
Formatting did absolutely nothing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-07-16, 11:54 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Formatting did absolutely nothing."
Then it's most definately a hardware problem. My guess would be either your video card or your processor.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-07-17, 12:00 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Formatting did absolutely nothing."
It's because you have bit-torrent running. My computer did the same thing. As long as it's not running, it should be okay. But bit-torrent will slow your computer down to ridiculous speeds man.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JiN-RaiDeN is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJiN-RaiDeN is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JiN-RaiDeN

Posted 2005-07-17, 12:37 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Slow machine"
mjordan2nd said:
(mind you, bittorrent is always off when I play WoW or pool)
Read the thread before you respond.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-07-17, 01:54 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Read the thread before you respond."
Nah, fuck all that. I'll be damned if I read more than two post before I respond. But if you want to come over and read it to me, feel free. Other than that, lick the balls. Seems like a dumb ass question anyway. You said everything ran fine, and then after you installed a torrent program, your computer slowed down? Um, MORON! You did one thing, then your computer slowed down, OBVIOUSLY that's the problem dumb ass.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JiN-RaiDeN is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJiN-RaiDeN is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JiN-RaiDeN

Posted 2005-07-17, 01:57 AM in reply to JiN-RaiDeN's post starting "Nah, fuck all that. I'll be damned if I..."
Well, first of all, that was in the FIRST post, dipshit.

Secondly, the torrent program obviously didn't cause it, because he said himself that he reformatted and it didn't fix it.

If you don't want to read a thread before posting in it, that's fine and dandy, but in the help forum, the whole point is to be helpful, and if you don't even know what the hell you're talking about, you're not being helpful.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2005-07-17 at 02:10 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2005-07-17, 02:06 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Well, first of all, that was in the..."
Hahahaha! This is great! I didn't think you were going to reply so quickly. Well, if the torrent program didn't cause the problem, then why mention it at all?

Oh, and when I said 'no more than two posts' I didn't say the first two. Just any two will do fine.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JiN-RaiDeN

Posted 2005-07-17, 02:10 AM in reply to JiN-RaiDeN's post starting "Hahahaha! This is great! I didn't think..."
Ahhhh, so great. Anyway, don't bother replying, I'm out for another 8 months or so. Tell Quikpiss64437 I stopped by to sucker his ass and missed him. *sigh* Later bitches!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JiN-RaiDeN