Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Network help.
Posted 2005-06-10, 02:30 AM
Ok heres the deal, at work this whole week ive had this major problem getting internet to Bravo Company in the battalion I work in, and I need an outside source to help me think of something new.

Our battalion is all run on a LAN coming right from my office with me being the source of internet for everyone. We have Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and HHC companies plus misc offices in the general area of 3 to 4 blocks. Now the internet runs from my office off a switch to a switch in one of the offices, then it goes into a paragain down to charlie company with a paragain on the recieving end, and into another switch in charlie that goes into bravo company hub at the last spot on the lan. Everyone is online except bravo.
I had tried hubs and switches at bravo as crossover or straightthru cat 5 cables and nothing will work, however if I take out the line from the hub in bravo coming from charlie and plug it directly into a laptop as a straightthru cat 5 it works, but putting it into a hub or switch then running it to the computer it doesnt. I have tried 3 different brand new switches and I just tried a hub. Help me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2005-06-10, 08:36 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post "Network help."
(Not a network guy, so all of this might not even be affected)

Is the Bravo switch set to the correct gateway (i.e. the SYG switch in your office)? You're not just setting it to be the Charile switch are you? (Assuming all of your switches are on the same subnet of course)

That's pretty much the only thing I can think of offhand, (assuming all the cables are good) since everything before that area is working fine. I'm guessing that Charlie's set for DHCP and is throwing out the SYG switch as the default gateway (so anything directly connected to it will get that gateway and thus INTERNET) but the Bravo switch is being set to throw out either itself as the gateway or the Charlie switch. Of course none of this really applies if they're on different subnets, because the gateways would have to be set differently and thus making this entire post rather useless...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2005-06-10, 08:53 AM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "(Not a network guy, so all of this..."
Thats the stuff I need to hear, I should have posted with what settings I was using too. None of the computers on the network are DHCP, we enter all the subnets and dns and wins and ip's manually and everyone in the network have the same Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, Preferred DNS, Alt DNS, and WINS.

Anyone in here know about paragains? Thats what I think might be causing all this funny shit, because the slave paragain is at Charlie going into there switch and then one of the ports on the switch go to the other switch in bravo instead of a computer... I dont know, maybe that has something to do with it. The reason we had to use a paragain was because the distance from the offices and charlie company are to far.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2005-06-10, 12:13 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Thats the stuff I need to hear, I..."
Hmm, did you try setting the router to be the same IP/subnet/gateway as the laptop you know works (not connected at the same time, obviously) and attempt to ping it from somewhere else? (In other words, can the Charlie switch even figure out that a router is connected in the first place?) Of course that assumes you don't kill pings at a firewall somewhere..

And now that I think about it, swap out Charile's switch for a bit and plug in one of your "other switches" that you aren't sure are working, and then test a laptop through that - maybe something's just specially set up in Charile's switch (If this paragain is indeed the issue, I have no idea since I'm not familiar with them - but it's worth a shot). If it works perfectly, reverse the current way - plug Charlie's switch into the "other switch" and see what happens there - if the Charlie network runs smoothly and the "other switch" works fine, then everything is okay..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube