Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > Diablo III > Diablo I & II > D2 PvP

1.10 Mage Paladin Guide!
Posted 2004-08-05, 10:14 PM
1.10 Mage Paladin Guide!

1.10 Mage Paladins are very, very strong and effective. I believe Mage to be the challenge for a V/T Paladin build and the Mage type can stand its ground very well vs. almost any class. The Mage is a simple hybrid using Hammers and FoH and can be very strong if you can master the movements. The plan is to charge a lot launching only 2-3 hammers then move. Always have smite hot keyed in case you get into trouble to knock an opponent away and make sure your FoH is at the ready for range advantage. A Mage is not a high skill requiered type of character, but it does invole alot of movement to figure out.

Abbreviations:
Wake = Trail of effect
Zon = Amazon
SM = Slow Missile
GA= Guided Arrow
MS = Multiple Shot
IGA = Invisible Guided Arrow
IBS = Invisible Bone Spirit
WW = Whirlwind
Sin = Assassin
Vit = Vitality
Dungoes = Verdungoes Hearty Cord
CB = Crushing Blow
DS = Deadly Strike
CS = Critical Strike
Desynch- de-synchronization – a form of lag that makes u think you are somewhere but to the server u are else where usually somewhere in your trail.

STATS:
Strength: 30-55 (Depends all on your Enigma armor type)
Dexterity: 50 (Unless you go less into Holy Shield then you need more dex for better block)
Vitality: All Remaining
Energy: Base

Explanation:
This paladin is much like a V/T. You’re going to have insane life and your going to use charge to move around and use range advantages. Hammer accordingly so you can move around and hammers are everywhere. Only release a few hammers do not do what most hammer type paladins do and just stand there launching them.

SKILLS:
Blessed Hammer: 15
Blessed Aim: 5-10
Concentration: 20
Vigor: 10
Fist of the Heavens: 15-20
Holy Shock: 10-15
Conviction: 2+
Holy Shield: 1-5
Pre-requirements: 15
Salvation: 1 (If you clan to use your Mage for Team Duels)
Meditation: 1

Explanation:
Simple, you need a perfect balance between hammers and FoH. This build has about 4k FoH and 6.5k+ Hammers.

Equipment:
You want all those nice + skill items and a lot of life. So it’s simple:

Helmet: Ber Harlenquin Crest

Amulet: Maras Keliedescope +2 skills dual stat with lighting resists.

Armor: “Enigma” Mage Plate or Enigma Breast Plate

Shield: Upgraded/regular Herald of Zakarum (HoZ) - ber/jah/um

Weapon: Wizardspike or Heavens Light or Hoto or Silence

Belt: 15% Dungoes with alot of vitality (Verdungoes Hearty Cord)

Rings: Raven Frost 250/20 IS NICE and Bul Kathos Wedding Band

Gauntlets: bloodfists/ dual stat with resists and stuff if possible

Greaves: Waterwalks, Imp Shanks etc.

CHARMS:
10x Paladin Combat Skills with Life
9x 20 Life Resistances Small Charms or Life/Mana Small Charms
1x Annihlius (20 Stats 20 Res would be very nice.)

***Stash Equipment***
1 T-Gods
1 Hotspur
Shield 4x P. Topazed
Shield 4x P. Saphire
Shield 4x Um Runes (88 all res nice in team duels vs. all eles)
1 Nokazan Relic
Imp Shanks

*Weapon (will depend on the scenario and explained) – a nice array of weapons to choose that deserve merit. Silence phase blade (pb) for the +2 skills and +75 resists. If you choose to utilize a different weapon, take Heart of the Oak into consideration. Personally cast rate is useless for this paladin type and I rather have the charge damage
Since you will use charge a lot.
Explanation- Gear:
Shako provides the necessary mana needed. Enigma is the basis of having base strength as well as the bonuses from enigma fit this type of class like a fine suit. Mara’s is the best for resists and +skills and stats and adding to BO, having this flexibility is invaluable.

**************************STRATEGY/TACTICS**************************
Amazons:
This is a piece of cake as of 1.10, it is COMPLETLY different to that in 09. It’s very simple to take down any zon due to the hammers doing heavy damage and range of FOH and charge is now super fast and some minor details. The main tactic is to get close up and personal with zons, when you approach the zon you should charge the zon. There are only be 2 options a zon would do either switch to javelins and make it easy for you or run, just Hammer away if they think they can even tank you, if they run then switch to conviction and FoH. Remember charge can always Desynch a zon for hammers.

Assassins:
Not much of a challenge. Just keep shift charging around and launching your hammers. When they do the Whirlwinds then just switch to conviction and FoH them. Should be a fairly easy win if your poison resistance is fine. As for trapsins, toss on your t-gods and keep a constant move-on. When they chase after you leave a trial of hammers all over and they should go down fast. If they run charge them down and FoH.

Necromancers:
This is probably the hardest match up you will ever do as most classes are the same. Well then again most are noobs, the good ones are the ones to dread. Just do your charge movements to stun them and launch a hammer or two, if your hammers miss I suggest you retreat and use some FoH and hammer randomly so when they teleport they can catch the wake of your hammers. Instinct I cant say when to break out as necros differ from person to person. You will have to be more skilled in using your Mage to make this type of a judgment, as I said before I recommend you break away until you learn your own threshold. These principles attack a necros weak point as MOST people seem to ignore fhr, they got a VERY low fhr rate so you have to use it to your advantage. FoH’ing a good necro is teasing him, if your FoH kills a necro, he’s most likely a noob. If they bone prison you teleport out IMMEDIATELY and then charge off using hammer wake.

Barbarians:
Lol, far to easy just run around casting your hammers few hits they are dead. Nothing more to say here, barb is by far the easiest win.

Paladins:
The strategy here is the same, just shift your charge cast a few hammers and cover your ass and range with FoH. This mage type is probably a large threat to a V/T. It is the only character type I can think of that can really destroy a V/T if you know how to play them well. Some V/T players might be smart and look for your blindspot on hammers, but if you keep your charge up and do 1-2 hammer cast you should be fine. Most likely they will charge and FoH you. Since your not going to be going hand to hand, toss on light resistances and a T-Gods. This will neutralize the FoH problem. As for charge, charge away from them doing a 1 hammer wake after a few hits they will fall to their death. Use this strategy vs other Hammerdins as well. Also remember your FoH is always handy for you to smack melee paladins down fast.

Druids:
They are just as easy as a barbarian. A Mage can really fuck up a druid pretty fast. FoH the Pak Sage and charge around casting hammer wake so they will tele into one or two hammers here and there. The minions will not be a problem since hammers don’t target they just keep rotating. Keep your hammers in close proximity since druids have to get closer then most characters and if Oak Sage is put back out, just FoH it.

Sorceresses:
This is pretty damn simple. Toss on your stash gear accordingly to the sorc type and just use FoH a lot with charge. If this does not seem to be working effectively then charge around casting 3-4 hammer shots so the yare forced to chase you down and tele in the wake of hammers. If they are using Mana Shield this will be a lot of fun for you, once hammers hit 2-3 times that mana is gone and they are sitting ducks, charge and FoH of your ass.

Credits/Acknowledgements:
I give thanks to the following in no particular order:

EotD- My (our clan jOObelette~!) clan for giving me some sort of purpose to keep on pking and wanting to be the best dueler I can be.

Gimmeitam- For the greatest duels I’ve had in 09 and the experience I gained for all characters.

Entire Paladin Temple Games- All you pro paladins out there keep the temple up, that’s a lot of fun just hope to see more zealots around.

CourtTV a.k.a Droo- Keep up the singing and I will see you in Temple.

Blur_MoB- Del, always nice too see you when you logged on. I hope your doing better with the loss of your good friend Jill. I wish you luck in life and hope too see you reign some chaos with barb type chars on games too come. BUT DIE FOR GIVING UR ACC TO GREG AND NOT ME~! Lol.

Carl / Chris a.k.a Ferazel- Thanx for all the support with getting back on my feet, never knew what happened to you guys lost touch when I quit. Hope your both doing well.

Jill-PvP- Rest In Peace! My level 48 Barb still owned your V/T~! If only you were still here you would love the strength of a Mage and V/T in 1.10.

Shags/Soul/Tenken a.k.a Diego – you guys are a pain in the ass to duel as necros but you still know my zon makes you run~ die x10!!!

T3h_jOObifier: Guided My Arrow
Jill-PvP: Blessed My Aim
Clayfu: Taught Me Critical Strike
Blur_MoB: Helped Me Avoid

Clan Elders of the Dragons

Rest in Peace Jill...

Last edited by Endurack; 2004-12-27 at 01:43 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Endurack is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Endurack

Posted 2004-08-05, 10:18 PM in reply to Endurack's post "1.10 Mage Paladin Guide!"
Good work

have you forgotten about assassins that can mind blast you, put traps down, then throw ninja stars at you? Those hurt like a bitch.

Last edited by -=Rico-GP=-; 2004-08-05 at 10:39 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-=Rico-GP=- is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between-=Rico-GP=- is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

-=Rico-GP=-

Posted 2004-08-05, 10:32 PM in reply to -=Rico-GP=-'s post starting "Good work :) have you forgotten..."
thats the most endurack has ever wrote doesnt look like a good pally
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentokill.ace is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tokill.ace

Posted 2004-08-06, 12:47 AM in reply to tokill.ace's post starting "thats the most endurack has ever wrote ..."
I've dueled them, and they ARE effective.

However, I can still dismantle them with Scharfrichter. Gotta know how to dance with Hammers.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-06, 07:35 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I've dueled them, and they ARE..."
Assassins using mind blast doesnt work, when you charge with a paladin you get out of range in a few seconds and its somewhat uninteruptable while doing a long charge. If you toss on Vigor and charge Mind Blast wont even target you at all. So far i havent even been touched by a Trapsin they are pretty easy to beat down.

As for V/T's i just beat CourTV on West with my mage and hes probally the best V/T on West. Nothing to be too proud of since a Mage has the advantage, just proves the point if you know what your doing its a win for you vs a V/T.

As for you tokill.ace, you obviously don't read much on this forum i have a Amazon build thats stickied thats even longer then this. Your also obviously a newb if you think this build isnt good.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Endurack

Posted 2004-08-06, 07:49 AM in reply to Endurack's post starting "Assassins using mind blast doesnt work,..."
Damn near identical gear to V/T...

Maybe I'll make and xfer around gear when I feel like it, since I gave out practically everything I owned...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-06, 12:18 PM in reply to Endurack's post starting "Assassins using mind blast doesnt work,..."
ry, i wouldnt consider him the best atm, as for mage/lib dueling (for v/t) you have to switch your gear around to beat them.

killed sol and zerius last nite with a LR advantage setup
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
blckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenblckshdwdragon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

blckshdwdragon

Posted 2004-08-06, 04:46 PM in reply to blckshdwdragon's post starting "ry, i wouldnt consider him the best..."
Droo is still one of the best he know whats hes doing enough ot beat a Mage.

Nice moves with Sol and Zer, but ur LR set-up is cheappp lol. Sticky this build jOOb its well wroth the sticky very usefull build.

Oh and jOOb im working on making you a new sig, ill post it on my Photobucket account so you can copy paste the link. That old sig you have is FUGLY like jOO~!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Endurack

Posted 2004-08-06, 04:59 PM in reply to Endurack's post starting "Droo is still one of the best he know..."
Endurack said:
Droo is still one of the best he know whats hes doing enough ot beat a Mage.

Nice moves with Sol and Zer, but ur LR set-up is cheappp lol. Sticky this build jOOb its well wroth the sticky very usefull build.

Oh and jOOb im working on making you a new sig, ill post it on my Photobucket account so you can copy paste the link. That old sig you have is FUGLY like jOO~!
Edited by Vollstrecker 
Play nice, damnit!

Last edited by Vollstrecker; 2004-08-06 at 05:44 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDr. Geekstar is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Dr. Geekstar

Posted 2004-08-06, 09:11 PM in reply to Endurack's post "1.10 Mage Paladin Guide!"
~Stuck~

We'll see how it works, just starting mine.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-06, 09:14 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "~Stuck~ We'll see how it works, just..."
Never met a Mage yet, but shouldn't they be treated just like the hammerdins? Except you need to put a bit of light resis on.

Share the Pr0n, Not the lag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExT

Posted 2004-08-06, 09:47 PM in reply to ExT's post starting "Never met a Mage yet, but shouldn't..."
Actually, all the Mages I met weren't that great vs. my V/T. They usually only killed me when I wasn't ready.

We'll see how it works.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-10, 11:37 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Actually, all the Mages I met weren't..."
Little comment on the stash equip :
The shield with 4*um.
Use Griswolds with 3*um instead , better stats , more res .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Death is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenDeath is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Death

Posted 2004-08-10, 04:13 PM in reply to Death's post starting "Little comment on the stash equip :..."
Not if you get a Paladin-Only shield with 35+ inherent resists.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-13, 01:52 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "Not if you get a Paladin-Only shield..."
Barb will be the easiest win? are you out of ur goddamn mind? ill charge ya with my barb friggn 2hin 12k ww, we see how long you last, 1 tele, 1 ww all it takes to kill a caster of any kind except a stacking druid/necro then it might take 2 or 3. winders thats easy, necros its if i live to spill their blood =(
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Zuberan is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenZuberan is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Zuberan

Posted 2004-08-13, 04:27 PM in reply to Zuberan's post starting "Barb will be the easiest win? are you..."
I would be surprised if your barb could kill my V/T, much less a Hammering Mage...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-13, 05:53 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I would be surprised if your barb could..."
Dude, shut up. I have rarely lost to a barb. The other day i was taking on XE-Malice beat him 6:1 and then Blobs came in to try beat him 5:2. Again nothing to brag about since i have the advantage with a Mage, but they are probally 2 of the best barbs around on West and trust me they do a hell of alot mroe damage then some shitty 12k 2 handed barb. They are Dual wielders using massive deadly strike and Open Wounds and have well over 12k ar. They can get a good 2-3 hits every WW on my Paladin. Trust me barbs are no match for a Mage.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Endurack

Posted 2004-08-14, 04:09 AM in reply to Endurack's post starting "Dude, shut up. I have rarely lost to a..."
I just noticed there's no Concentration up there...

Typo, or do you not use it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2004-08-16, 08:40 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I just noticed there's no Concentration..."
Well i see concentration lvl 20...

Either he edit or you just missed it

SKILLS:
Blessed Hammer: 15
Blessed Aim: 5-10
Concentration: 20 <----
Vigor: 10
Fist of the Heavens: 15-20
Holy Shock: 10-15
Conviction: 2+
Holy Shield: 1-5
Pre-requirements: 15
Salvation: 1 (If you clan to use your Mage for Team Duels)
Meditation: 1

Share the Pr0n, Not the lag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenExT is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ExT

Posted 2004-08-16, 07:12 PM in reply to ExT's post starting "Well i see concentration lvl 20... ..."
He edited it.

See the edit tag on the bottom of the post?

He edited 5 hours after I posted my question.

(Last edited by Endurack : 08-14-2004 at 08:28 AM.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker