Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Hancock
Posted 2008-09-23, 12:09 PM
Couldn't find a thread for it, so I thought I'd start my own.

I finally got round to watching it tonight, and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I've heard some people say that the first half is fantastic and the second half is terrible, but I thought it was all good.

*WARNING: Here be spoilers that I can't be bothered hiding. Read at your own risk*

The idea of a superhero who doesn't give a damn has probably been done before, but not enough, and Hancock pulls it off very well. Ray's wife being Hancock's 'ex' seemed a bit tacked on to make the story go, but it fitted, and it added an extra dimension to the story that worked well for the ending.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-09-23, 12:14 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Hancock"
The last bit was a stretch. Was a pretty good movie, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-23, 12:59 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "The last bit was a stretch. Was a..."
I agree, pretty good movie overall.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-09-23, 07:50 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "I agree, pretty good movie overall."
I disagree. That movie was a waste of money. The woman tacked on ruined it for me, and honestly, that made it into a B movie for me. It's definitely overrated and a disappointment, and should choke on a dog biscuit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-09-23, 08:28 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Hancock"
I watched the movie a little while back and liked it. WKFF, maybe you should become a movie reviewer if you're going to criticize this movie when there are movies like 'College.' College is terrible, might I add.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-09-24, 08:37 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I watched the movie a little while back..."
I liked this movie. I have a sligh bias towards Will Smith as I consider him to be one of the greatest actors, ever. But personally, this movie was still pretty good. It was just another superhero movie essentailly, but they swapped it around and added some weird dimension. Not too much of a stretch for me, so it was enjoyable.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-24, 08:43 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I liked this movie. I have a sligh bias..."
I would agree that Will Smith is a great actor. If you haven't seen it, you should watch The Pursuit of Happyness. That has to be, in my opinion, his best movie ever.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2008-09-24 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-24, 08:47 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I would agree that Will Smith is a..."
Every movie Will Smith has been, for the past like... 15 years have been amazing...

Independence Day (still probably my favorite movie, ever).Men in black, MIB II, Bad Boys was even pretty good. Bad boys II, The legend of bagger vance (golf movie) was pretty damn good, won an oscar. Enemy of the state. Ali, I,Robot another awesome movie. I am Legend.. I mean the list goes on.

This would be a good debate thread (Best Actor/Actress ever).

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-09-24, 08:52 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Every movie Will Smith has been, for..."
My only problem with him is that he plays so many similar roles. That's probably why I like The Pursuit of Happyness. It was a nice change for him, and much more serious than most of his movies.

I thought I, Robot was pretty good, and I Am Legend was pretty good. The rest of those I would say that I liked, but they don't really sit up high on my list.

Also, I don't think Will Smith would even be in the running for Best Actor Ever :P He's good and all, but that's a bit of a stretch.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-24, 09:00 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "My only problem with him is that he..."
That may be a stretch, or a lot could agree with me. I'm curious if there may be a sequel to Hancock...

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-09-24, 09:27 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Every movie Will Smith has been, for..."
Just because he's in good movies does not necessarily mean that he makes them good movies. He could just be selective of which ones he does. This is not to say I don't think he's any good, however.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-09-24, 10:21 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Just because he's in good movies does..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
Just because he's in good movies does not necessarily mean that he makes them good movies. He could just be selective of which ones he does. This is not to say I don't think he's any good, however.
I'd say almost every movie Will Smith has acted in, was better because he was in it. There is no example I can think of that would contradict this..

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-09-24, 02:00 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I watched the movie a little while back..."
I've never seen College, and Hancock may well be good in comparison. However, that's a relative thing ...I've seen worse movies, but Hancock was definitely not good. I felt like the writers were making a nice, in-depth story ...and then got the munchies and rushed the story so they could run off and get some doritos. The last 20-30 minutes do not flow well. Yea, the cocksucker has been living in the same city as her for years and now, all of a sudden, he loses his power? And not only that, but he has to leave now (although he's been a super hero just fine) and goto the other side of the U.S. to avoid her? It made me almost want to vomit. I really felt like I wasted 2 hours and 7 or 8 bucks (I forget how much it is where I am from.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-09-24, 03:05 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I've never seen College, and Hancock..."
But he'd never come into close contact with her, so he hadn't started to turn mortal yet.

---

As for Will Smith, he can, at times, be a fantastic actor. Take I Am Legend, for example. The script was weak (and can in no way be compared favourably to the book), but Smith managed to hold up the entire film.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-09-24, 04:07 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I've never seen College, and Hancock..."
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
I've never seen College, and Hancock may well be good in comparison. However, that's a relative thing ...I've seen worse movies, but Hancock was definitely not good. I felt like the writers were making a nice, in-depth story ...and then got the munchies and rushed the story so they could run off and get some doritos. The last 20-30 minutes do not flow well. Yea, the cocksucker has been living in the same city as her for years and now, all of a sudden, he loses his power? And not only that, but he has to leave now (although he's been a super hero just fine) and goto the other side of the U.S. to avoid her? It made me almost want to vomit. I really felt like I wasted 2 hours and 7 or 8 bucks (I forget how much it is where I am from.)

If you were watching the movie. You would have noticed at the begenning he said that he had woke up one and had these powers. They tied it together when she had mentioned they almost died before, and she had to disappear.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2008-09-24, 05:52 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "If you were watching the movie. You..."
D3V said: [Goto]
If you were watching the movie. You would have noticed at the begenning he said that he had woke up one and had these powers. They tied it together when she had mentioned they almost died before, and she had to disappear.
I think he understands that.

The point he's making is, according to the movie, when they get close together, they lose their powers. Yet, he's been living in the same place as her for an unknown but relatively long period of time compared to the length of the movie. Yet, in the beginning of the movie, he seems to be just fine, and at the end of the movie, they're in danger of dying because they've lost their powers.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-25, 10:40 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think he understands that. The..."
But they weren't together. I came to understand that their being together was why they were losing their powers - it doesn't make sense for them to lose their powers when they're not a 'couple', as the whole point of losing the powers was so that they could settle down and live a mortal life full of love.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-09-25, 10:52 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "But they weren't together. I came to..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
But they weren't together. I came to understand that their being together was why they were losing their powers - it doesn't make sense for them to lose their powers when they're not a 'couple', as the whole point of losing the powers was so that they could settle down and live a mortal life full of love.
They seemed to pretty much hate each other throughout the movie. I don't really see what changed between them to cause them to start losing their powers.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-09-25, 11:01 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "They seemed to pretty much hate each..."
The fact that they were in close contact with each other, and in a way "together", rather than being totally separated.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-09-25, 11:14 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "The fact that they were in close..."
Right, but that's exactly what doesn't make sense. He had to go all of the way to the other side of the country so that they could get their powers back, which would imply that being within any reasonable distance of each other would cause them to lose their powers. If they survived so well for so long living in the same place, why would that suddenly stop working?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!