Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > Diablo III

The Third Game in the Game Series Formerly Known as Diablo
Posted 2008-06-30, 07:30 AM
Some of you who played Diablo 1 and/or 2, should have noticed that in the storyline you (the adventurers) succeded in slaying the demon Diablo (and his brothers elsewhere) in Hell. To my knowledge, Demons that are slain on Sanctuary (the primary plane of existence, where mortals live in the Diablo-world) are simply reborn in Hell. Demons that are killed in hell, die permanently (I think, other sources may contradict this though.) Even if Diablo did die in Hell, he would have reborn due to his soulstone. But the adventurers crushed it upon the Hellforge, thus Diablo is (I assume) permanently destroyed.

Now, Blizzard announced a third game in the series, named Diablo 3. Blizzard isn't known to surprise their gamers, but this seems odd still. Diablo is dead - why would they name the third game in the series Diablo as well? Sure it would lead to confusion, but people will assume that a game named Diablo will properly be focused around something called Diablo.

Or am I wrong?

(Also, now that the Worldstone is broken - will the borders between the worlds be broken? And will Inarius from the Sin War make an appearance? Now that the Prime Evils are dead (Super Diablo Bros.) will the Lesser Evils (Andariel, Duriel, Azmodan and Belial (maybe Lilith?) rise up to the roles of big bad mega-villains?)

"That surface that tells the Heavens it hath an end, cannot persuade me I have any."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Yawgmoth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzYawgmoth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Yawgmoth

Posted 2008-06-30, 09:32 AM in reply to Yawgmoth's post "The Third Game in the Game Series..."
Yeah, um, adventurers crushed Mephisto's soulstone on the hell forge...not Diablo's.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-06-30, 10:05 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Yeah, um, adventurers crushed..."
HandOfHeaven said: [Goto]
Yeah, um, adventurers crushed Mephisto's soulstone on the hell forge...not Diablo's.
I think in one of the movies it shows you doing the same thing with Diablo's once you kill him in act 4.

Either way, all of the soulstones were destroyed in Diablo 2.

Some people suspect that the worldstone might have something to do with it. Baal supposedly corrupted the worldstone, which meant that Tyrael had to destroy it (so he claimed.) Some say that Tyrael might have gotten a shard stuck in him or something, and may have gotten corrupted himself. Perhaps Diablo will take over Tyrael's body similar to the hero from Diablo 1. A Tyrael/Diablo combo would be pretty badass.

Some people also theorize that Tyrael might have been bad all along. There are hints of that throughout Diablo 2, and it's not completely unlikely that it could be true. However, that doesn't explain how Diablo comes back.

Diablo is in the trailer for Diablo 3, though, so I would suspect he'll be in the game somehow. Who knows? For now, we can only speculate.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-06-30, 11:48 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think in one of the movies it shows..."
Put a goblin and a demon in the cube, out comes Diablo?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-06-30, 12:10 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Put a goblin and a demon in the cube,..."
No! It's Wirt's Leg and Deckard Cain inside the cube. Everyone knows that Deckard Cain is Diablo...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-06-30, 02:11 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I think in one of the movies it shows..."
The "Diablo" in the teaser could be a... Diablo Clone? Also note that the Diablo had shoulder-mouths... Weirdish.

Also, according to the back story - it was Tyrael that made the High Heavens decide to keep Sanctuary and it's mortals, and that he has been an ally to the mortals (descendants of the Nephalem (Diablo version of Nephilim)) for a very, very long time. Apparently some sort of fallen mega-angel created Sanctuary and before that there was merely the High Heavens and the Burning Hell. Which seems quite boring. Although, I guess the years Tyrael spent amongst humans might have made him susceptible to corruption...

(And as !K_A! said, you destroy the Diablo-soulstone in a video.)

"That surface that tells the Heavens it hath an end, cannot persuade me I have any."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Yawgmoth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzYawgmoth enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Yawgmoth

Posted 2008-06-30, 03:01 PM in reply to Yawgmoth's post starting "The "Diablo" in the teaser could be..."
Yawgmoth said: [Goto]
The "Diablo" in the teaser could be a... Diablo Clone? Also note that the Diablo had shoulder-mouths... Weirdish.

Also, according to the back story - it was Tyrael that made the High Heavens decide to keep Sanctuary and it's mortals, and that he has been an ally to the mortals (descendants of the Nephalem (Diablo version of Nephilim)) for a very, very long time. Apparently some sort of fallen mega-angel created Sanctuary and before that there was merely the High Heavens and the Burning Hell. Which seems quite boring. Although, I guess the years Tyrael spent amongst humans might have made him susceptible to corruption...

(And as !K_A! said, you destroy the Diablo-soulstone in a video.)
I've recently heard people saying that even destroying their soulstones doesn't do anything but send them back to hell. They have to be slain in hell to be slain for good. Or so some people are saying. I suppose I don't know enough to know for sure.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-07-01, 09:32 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I've recently heard people saying that..."
So, our brave adventurers killed Diablo in Hell and destroyed his soulstone (also in Hell), thus he should be deader than dead. Like... Triple-dead or something. Anyway, I assume Blizzard will do some random excuse and OMG DIABLO IS ALIVE BECAUSE WORLDSTONE!

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Yawgmoth