Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

's' button failure!
Posted 2012-10-06, 11:48 PM
My s button is starting to fail on my laptop. Not sure what caused it or what is going on.

Basically 2 things are happening.

1. Either there is a huge delay between pushing the key, and the computer processing that its been pushed.

2. The key just plain sticks. (most noticeable in WoW where if you tap s to back up, your character continues to move.)

Anyone know what could be the causes, possible fixes, and or solutions?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2012-10-08, 10:04 AM in reply to Kazilla's post "'s' button failure!"
My . button on my computer won't work sometimes, and it really pisses me off. I think j and h, too. @_@
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-10-08, 12:46 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "My . button on my computer won't work..."
Replace the keyboard on the laptop? They aren't very expensive.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2012-10-08, 04:57 PM in reply to Kazilla's post "'s' button failure!"
If it's just the 'S' button doing that you can rule out the first reason.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2012-10-08, 07:27 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "If it's just the 'S' button doing that..."
Remove the keyboard, inspect/clean the undersurface, replace it if need be.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2012-10-08, 10:36 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Replace the keyboard on the laptop?..."
I had no idea you could remove the keyboard /and put them back in/. Is there a safe, easy instruction on how to do this?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2012-10-09, 07:33 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I had no idea you could remove the..."
You can also pop off the keys from the top side on some keyboards. Learned that from a 2 year old :facepalm:.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of masskaos is an uncelestial body of mass

kaos

Posted 2012-10-09, 07:38 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "You can also pop off the keys from the..."
How do I get them all the time?
What.
How do I get them back on??
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2012-10-09, 08:11 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "How do I get them all the time? What...."
Eh... that part we couldn't figure out.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

kaos

Posted 2012-10-09, 08:24 PM in reply to kaos's post starting "Eh... that part we couldn't figure out."
Ho, getting keys back onto a laptop keyboard is a bastard. Generally, there's a hinged clip that connects to four tiny metal connectors where the key sits on the keyboard. If you look at the back of the key (having put the clip on the keyboard), you might see a couple of clips that connect it to the hinged clip. Assuming the hinged clip is in the correct position, you should be able to snap the key back on top of it.

Things like the shift key and the spacebar, and anything else that takes up more space, may have a metal bar connected to it that needs to be connected properly too. I don't think it's an issue with laptop, and laptop-style, keyboards, but on a desktop keyboard it's likely that the larger keys also have some form of spring attached to the metal bar.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2012-10-10, 09:18 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Ho, getting keys back onto a laptop..."
I'd rather just glue them back one, if it's that complex.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2012-10-10, 10:20 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I'd rather just glue them back one, if..."
The keys on my keyboard pop off and on rather easily with just a little bit of effort. I have removed the all of the letter keys from my laptop, and removed the little casing? they sit in, and have cleaned out what I can. I inspected the rubber piece underneath the key and it appears to be fine.

I am leaning towards my best option is going to be replace the entire keyboard. To bad I have 0 funds right now, will have to wait, ah'well - thanks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla