Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Posted 2004-03-17, 09:52 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "Well I am athiest but I've very..."
RoboticSilence said:
Well I am athiest but I've very open-minded and I'm always willing to have discussions with people about their own religions (I'm more knowledgable than the typical "whatever" athiest) and I don't go around telling people that what they believe is wrong. The way I see it, we can't know what is correct until we die or whatever revelation happens.
Yeah, you are someone whom I would actually qualify as an atheist,.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2004-03-18, 03:59 AM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Yeah, you are someone whom I would..."
Robo, you're an Agnostic, not an Atheist.

Agnostics believe that there is no way to know what the truth is without proof. Agnostics apply the Missouri rule: "show me." They don't deny or confirm anything. They just believe that without proof, there is no way to determine anything.

An Atheist, on the other hand, refutes the existence of God altogether. Atheists believe that because there is no proof of God's existence, he absolutely does not exist. I consider Atheism to be an extremely asinine doctrine of belief, considering that Atheist beliefs can swing both ways. There is no proof that God doesn't exist. Does that mean he absolutely does exist?

Your beliefs fall more in line with what Agnostics preach. If you've got cold, hard proof, they'll go with it.

ag·nos·tic
n.

One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

Atheism is a disgusting form of belief. Atheism is the absolute denial of any possibility of a higher power, and it's all based on half-truth.

a·the·ist
n.
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Robo, you're an Agnostic. Which is a much saner and more reasonable thing to be than an Atheist.

Last edited by Raziel; 2004-03-18 at 04:05 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-03-18, 04:55 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Robo, you're an Agnostic, not an..."
As science advances, I don't see how so many people can still be so strictly religious. People used to think everything was due to some kind of godly presence, even things like the weather. Do you turn on the weather channel for your local prophesied precipitation fluctuation?

I'd like to ask you, what is even half true about an invisible man living in the sky, influencing everyone's life?

Raziel said:
If you've got cold, hard proof, they'll go with it.
What proof is there? Jesus probably lived. I haven't heard about Jesus changing the weather at his whim, before or after the "ressurection."

Assuming a god came to Earth and smacked me in the face, then I'd be more prone to believe it. Until then, it's just a fancy fable.

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2004-03-18 at 05:01 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-03-18, 05:50 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "As science advances, I don't see how so..."
The fact is, there is no irrefutable proof that there either is or isn't a God, therefore either situation is equally likely. That's what's half-true about it. The positive or negative possibilities to God's existence are exactly 50/50, because there's absolutely no way to prove it either way. Therefore, one must be true and the other false. Hence the term "half-truth."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-03-18, 07:54 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "The fact is, there is no irrefutable..."
Well, I guess you are correct Raziel. I believe what is proven to me. If someone gives me a good enough arguement and a damn good reason to believe in Jesus, I will. The way I see it, Jesus was probably just the David Blaine of his time.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2004-03-18, 02:18 PM in reply to Raziel's post starting "The fact is, there is no irrefutable..."
Raziel said:
The fact is, there is no irrefutable proof that there either is or isn't a God, therefore either situation is equally likely. That's what's half-true about it. The positive or negative possibilities to God's existence are exactly 50/50, because there's absolutely no way to prove it either way. Therefore, one must be true and the other false. Hence the term "half-truth."
There's a 50% chance that I'm omnipotent, then.

Seriously though, what kind of logic is that. There's a 50% chance of everything.

50% chance that this guy stole a purse.

Innocent until proven guilty, right? Well, there wasn't any evidence so in this case nothing has been proven.

Can anyone prove anything at all that suggests there is such a thing as a god?

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2004-03-18 at 02:28 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-03-19, 01:09 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "There's a 50% chance that I'm..."
there is no god
I use to be a shoe shinner now I sip Aunt Jamima, I go to sleep in Europe and wake back up in China. CLUB 977 The 80's Channel!!!!! -winamp radio is heaven on earth
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
zagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenzagggon is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

zagggon