Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Posted 2004-06-04, 05:04 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "If there is a possibility of time..."
Hmm, you bring a convincing argument, then again, Stewie is a super genius British Spy stuck is a 2 year old's body...

Either way, I agree with Bob. Just because science, as we now know it, doesn't think the climate shift would occur that quickly doesn't mean it won't. Who knows, for all we know, the hydrogen bomb equivalent of napalm could be invented and fired at the ice caps, causing the instant melting the way Acer (I think it was Acer) was asking about the Sun instantly melting them. There are so many unseen circumstances that could occur that we have no idea about. It's not out of the question, just about 87.315% out of the question.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2004-06-05, 02:54 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "If there is a possibility of time..."
Bob said:
If there is a possibility of time travelling cyborgs, then there is a possibility of a much-faster-than-expected climate shift. Stewie could make a weather controlling device and amplify its signal through the satellite dish on the top of his house... It sounds more possible to me...
Yes, but do you understand that in order to cause a climate shift that drastic and than sudden, it would require a catastrophic event so powerful that most of humanity probably wouldn't even live to see the sudden climate change? Yeah, it could happen, but we wouldn't have people running away from massive tonadoes and braving a new ice age in a frozen New York. We'd just all simply be dead.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-06-05, 09:28 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "Yes, but do you understand that in..."
Perhaps we have a war. The bombs of the day don't emit radiation of any sort. They just emit heat. Of course, we've developed bunkers designed to withstand ginormous amounts of heat. So.... we're all underground while the bombs go off... We come up, and AAAAA WTF?!?? We're fucked now, because the bunkers can't withstand cold, and they're not waterproof.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-06-05, 11:07 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Perhaps we have a war. The bombs of..."
I don't see how that causes a climate shift. What exactly are you talking about us blowing up with these mega-heat-bombs? The polar icecaps? If we were to do that, the world wouldn't survive the tidal waves. You're talking about displacing an entire continent worth of water. We wouldn't be able to leave those shelters. We'd be completely submerged in water.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-06-06, 09:39 AM in reply to Raziel's post starting "I don't see how that causes a climate..."
We'd still have plenty of land if the icecaps melted. We leared about it a little bit in high school. I don't specifically remember where, but the water would go from here

| United States of America |

to

United| States of A|merica

(| | indicates water)
Or... something similar. I don't know about other countries, nor do I care about them for this example.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-06-06, 10:29 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "We'd still have plenty of land if the..."
Well, I went to see it as a celebration party for my friend leaving (turned out they never came...-_-) but i enjoyed it. I believed the characters would interact that way in real life...but the speed in which everything happened was too unbelieveable (spelling?) But it wasn't just America that was affected. Most of Europe was covered in a new ice age, etc.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2004-06-06, 11:40 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "We'd still have plenty of land if the..."
Medieval Bob said:
We'd still have plenty of land if the icecaps melted. We leared about it a little bit in high school. I don't specifically remember where, but the water would go from here
Well, that's if the icecaps melted gradually. The topic we've been discussing is a sudden alteration. If we suddenly nuked or "heat-bombed" Antarctica into oblivion, that's a giant change to make the the planet's structure. That's displacing an entire continent worth of ice. That would cause worldwide tidal waves, and probably somewhere along the lines of 90% of Earth's inhabitants wouldn't survive it.

Granted, if the world did flood due to gradual melting, there certainly would be some land left, not much, but some. But, we were talking about instantaneous decimation of the polar icecaps, and that's a much more apocalyptic event to consider.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel