Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Post Software Required for backwards compatibility: Xbox 360
Posted 2005-05-19, 09:13 AM
Microsoft forgot to mention that it technically is backwards compatible, if you purchase the software from them....

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=8996

E3: Xbox 360 "backwards compatibility" explained
Illustration
Ellie Gibson 05:07 19/05/2005

Current-gen Xbox games to be "recompiled" for Xbox 360

Following earlier indications that the Xbox 360 will only be backwards compatible with some Xbox games, Microsoft has admitted that existing software will need to be recompiled before it can be run on the new console.

The problem, it says, is down to hardware incompatibility - since the current Xbox uses an Intel processor, but the 360 will use IBM's PowerPC architecture, while NVIDIA's graphics solution is being replaced with an ATI one.

As many commentators have pointed out over the last few months, this means backwards compatibility problems. The solution Microsoft has reached is apparently to recompiled current-gen Xbox games so that they can be played on the 360. First on the list, it says, are the best-selling Halo titles.

The news has raised more questions than it answers, however, as it suggests that gamers may need to purchase titles they already own in order to play them on an Xbox 360 - and almost certainly means that only a sub-set of Xbox games will ever be playable on the new console.

Sony and Nintendo have already confirmed that their next-gen consoles - the PS3 and Revolution - will play all the games in their respective back catalogues, offering consumers a huge choice of titles at launch. Microsoft was unavailable for comment at the time of writing.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2005-05-19, 09:31 AM in reply to D3V's post "Software Required for backwards..."
HA HA HA!!! That is the funniest thing I've ever read!!!

Oh, could it be any better?? They have built a console that cannot play the current games unless it has the correct software...wait a minute, don't PC's need software for things??! OMG!! They've built a PC!!!

Ha ha ha...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-19, 09:44 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "HA HA HA!!! That is the funniest thing..."
Not only that, but they came out saying that it was backwards compatible, but that they didn't put in that you had to buy more software from them to play it. (Kind of like their DVD playback).

The PS3 has a fucking Nvidia 6800 Ultra chip in it that is 2x as fast as the computer models out right now. Crazy.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2005-05-19, 09:50 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Not only that, but they came out saying..."
Looks like ps3 is the first one on my list so far...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2005-05-19, 09:58 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Not only that, but they came out saying..."
There's no doubt about it, even though the Xbox 360 comes out a few months before the PS3, the PS3 will kick its ass all the way back to the Microsoft offices in Seattle.

I was reading an article yesterday about the Xbox 360, and they mentioned that M$ are still losing money on the Xbox. They haven't made any money at all!! Surely not?!

Also the NVidia chip allows the PS3 to be 128 bit, instead of the regular 32 bit. Now that is the crazy part.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-20, 06:30 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "There's no doubt about it, even though..."
It's 2x the normal speed of a 6800 ULtra (ownage).

Poor Xbox is struggling, though I think this one might be a little bit more competitive in it's sales because of stupid Halo. (Halo going to be launched when the PS3 launches : says Gates). So we'll see.

Though, the PS3 is supposed to be launched in the Spring, and H3 probably won't even be ready by then.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2005-05-20, 01:07 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "There's no doubt about it, even though..."
Microsoft hoped to gain in video game sales what they lost in console pricing.

The 6800 alone is 300 dollars.... how much is this going to cost.....
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2005-05-20, 08:32 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "HA HA HA!!! That is the funniest thing..."
Lenny said:

Oh, could it be any better?? They have built a console that cannot play the current games unless it has the correct software...wait a minute, don't PC's need software for things??! OMG!! They've built a PC!!!

Ha ha ha...

anyone else find this statement utterly hilarous because the console is made by microsoft the same people who pretty much monopolize the operating system market. I mean think about it if PS3 comes with a mouse and key board and even a monitor i still think it could pass as a console but Xbox 360 is just screaming computer because it has the name microsoft on it.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2005-05-21, 03:26 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "HA HA HA!!! That is the funniest thing..."
Lenny said:

Ha ha ha...
All computer need software to interface with hardware. This is common with all electronics that recieve instructions.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2005-05-21, 05:30 AM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "All computer need software to interface..."
Yes, but do you see other consoles needing software you need to buy to play old games??

You might not agree with it, but IMO Microsoft has slipped back into it's PC state of mind and built another PC, but with greater gaming capabilties than other PC's may have.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-21, 08:14 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Yes, but do you see other consoles..."
Maybe when you buy the 360 they should give you some kind of ID card (like a drivers liscense thing) and then you can bring in your old xbox games and exchange them for the 360 versions or something. But then again that would cause them to lose more money in the long run more than likely.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensue_13 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sue_13

Posted 2005-05-21, 08:17 AM in reply to sue_13's post starting "Maybe when you buy the 360 they should..."
If they do lose money on this, then it is their own fault entirely...they can't blame it on Sony for making the better console...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-21, 10:30 AM in reply to sue_13's post starting "Maybe when you buy the 360 they should..."
sue_13 said:
Maybe when you buy the 360 they should give you some kind of ID card (like a drivers liscense thing) and then you can bring in your old xbox games and exchange them for the 360 versions or something. But then again that would cause them to lose more money in the long run more than likely.
No, I"m guessing they will do something just like the DVD playback thing (they claim that there was write protection or some BS where they couldn't do it...yadayada...make more money.)

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2005-05-21, 10:31 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "No, I"m guessing they will do something..."
What did they do with the DVD playback thing??
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-21, 10:38 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "What did they do with the DVD playback..."
on the regular Xbox if you wanted to watch DVDs you had to buy the little playback nub that plugged into your controller port. I'm guessing that's how they will commercialize the software you will need. (sell it @wal-mart..etc.)

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2005-05-21, 10:41 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "on the regular Xbox if you wanted to..."
Ha ha ha...stupid Micorosoft...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-21, 10:53 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Ha ha ha...stupid Micorosoft...:p"
Actually they could even release it over the internet and have you download it from them, and charge a credit card, (like Steam..). Not sure, only time will tell I guess.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2005-05-21, 10:56 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "Actually they could even release it..."
Realease the game online?? Or the software??

It'd be rather stupid to release the game and make you pay to donwload the Xbox 360 version...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2005-05-22, 09:01 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Actually they could even release it..."
I think he means download the software not the games.
Think not disdainfully of death, but look on it with favor; for even death is one of the things that Nature wills.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
tidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentidus2005 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

tidus2005

Posted 2005-05-22, 10:23 PM in reply to tidus2005's post starting "I think he means download the software..."
Yeah, the software to play your games through backwards compatibility. There's no way you could DL a game...like 4 Gigs.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V