A petite riddle for my children...
Posted 2004-02-02, 02:32 PM
There are three words in the English language
that end in "gry". ONE is angry and the other is
hungry. Everyone knows what the third ONE means
and what it stands for. Everyone uses them
everyday, and if you listened very carefully,
I've given you the third word.

Maybe tonight we'll fly so far away... We'll be lost before the dawn...
Raziel said:
er er LOL
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

DaFrigginDoctah

Posted 2004-02-02, 02:49 PM in reply to DaFrigginDoctah's post "A petite riddle for my children..."
podagry: Dodder, or the condition of a plant infested with it.

There are several other words that end in "gry" which are either no longer used or have had their spelling changed.

However, the answer you're looking for is either the third word of one of your sentences or nothing at all.

Also, gry is an actual word as well, however it's not common, so not everyone would know the meaning.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2004-02-02, 02:51 PM in reply to DaFrigginDoctah's post "A petite riddle for my children..."
Language.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2004-02-02, 06:48 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "podagry: Dodder, or the condition of a..."
Medieval Bob said:
podagry: Dodder, or the condition of a plant infested with it.

There are several other words that end in "gry" which are either no longer used or have had their spelling changed.

However, the answer you're looking for is either the third word of one of your sentences or nothing at all.

Also, gry is an actual word as well, however it's not common, so not everyone would know the meaning.
teh pwn?...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2004-02-02, 07:02 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Language. ."
The only one I could come up with is "gry", but it also said that everybody knows what it means, and I doubt youngsters like Chruser would know what it meant off-hand.

Maybe tonight we'll fly so far away... We'll be lost before the dawn...
Raziel said:
er er LOL
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
DaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDaFrigginDoctah enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

DaFrigginDoctah

Posted 2004-02-02, 07:16 PM in reply to DaFrigginDoctah's post starting "The only one I could come up with is..."
DaFrigginDoctah said:
The only one I could come up with is "gry", but it also said that everybody knows what it means, and I doubt youngsters like Chruser would know what it meant off-hand.
Umm...i think gry is some type of measurement right?

EDIT: yea...it is a measurement...this is from dictionary.com

\Gry\, n. [Gr ? syllable, bit.] 1. A measure equal to one tenth of a line. [Obs.] --Locke.

2. Anything very small, or of little value. [R.]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-02-03, 01:59 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Umm...i think gry is some type of..."
Its a trick question, I heard about some article about it being a fake riddle a long time ago
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2004-02-03, 03:32 AM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Language. ."
Adrenachrome said:
Language.

Language!!

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2004-02-03, 03:42 AM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Language!!"
I hate riddles so very, very much.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2004-02-03, 09:13 AM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Language!!"
!?!?!?!?!?!?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Eddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenEddie_Perez is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2004-02-03, 12:22 PM in reply to Eddie_Perez's post starting "!?!?!?!?!?!?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"
So, whats the answer?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2004-02-03, 01:31 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "So, whats the answer?"
Oh fuck you...

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome

Posted 2004-02-03, 03:05 PM in reply to DaFrigginDoctah's post "A petite riddle for my children..."
DaFrigginDoctah said:
There are three words in the English language
that end in "gry". ONE is angry and the other is
hungry. Everyone knows what the third ONE means
and what it stands for. Everyone uses them
everyday, and if you listened very carefully,
I've given you the third word.
http://dictionary.reference.com/help...age/g/gry.html
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2004-02-03, 04:24 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq..."
What the hell is the answer?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2004-02-03, 04:35 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "What the hell is the answer?"
You're all fucking stupid, haha.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2004-02-03, 07:00 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "You're all fucking stupid, haha."
Is it "Gry"? Cause if it is, I dont like this riddle. :P
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2004-02-03, 07:01 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "What the hell is the answer?"
Jizmo said:
What the hell is the answer?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Eddie_Perez

Posted 2004-02-03, 07:06 PM in reply to Eddie_Perez's post starting ".008......"
Ok, the answer is "language" as adrenachrome has stated over and over.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2004-02-17, 05:35 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Ok, the answer is "language" as..."
mjordan2nd said:
Ok, the answer is "language" as adrenachrome has stated over and over.
no its not, as I stated before... he said the riddle wrong, otherwise yes you would be right
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Acer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAcer enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Acer

Posted 2004-02-17, 06:38 PM in reply to Acer's post starting "no its not, as I stated before... he..."
I still find it funny that DFD creates this thread all pompous-like and doesn't even get the riddle right.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav