Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Unhappy Caan anyone help?plz~
Posted 2008-01-01, 09:06 AM
I have a problem of rpg maker switch, if i do an event and activate it,and then erase event...'kapoosh' aafter that i went to another room and get back to the event room... the event still there! how do i wanna destroy it forever..? use switch? tell me about it..i'm new so, i dunno..~~plz~~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Meganroid_6 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMeganroid_6 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Meganroid_6

Posted 2008-01-01, 09:42 AM in reply to Meganroid_6's post "Caan anyone help?plz~"
First of all - which RPG Maker are you using?

Secondly - how much do you know about Conditions for events, and the use of switches?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Wink Using rpg maker 2003
Posted 2008-01-03, 02:44 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "First of all - which RPG Maker are you..."
Lenny said:
First of all - which RPG Maker are you using?

Secondly - how much do you know about Conditions for events, and the use of switches?
i'm using rpg maker 2003
conditions? a little... .switch? dont even found the switch window, but in this site i interested of it... so i need help..
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Meganroid_6 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMeganroid_6 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Meganroid_6

Posted 2008-01-03, 08:26 AM in reply to Meganroid_6's post "Using rpg maker 2003"
Ah, good. I like RM2K3.

I do believe that setting switches can be done within the event window - create a new event (1), double click in the event window to bring up the event menu (2), click Switch Operations on the first page (3), set the switch options in the box (4) - to name the switch, click the three dots next to the switch name (5) and name it in the input box on the new window (6).

---

So you're main aim is to disable an event once it has been used, yes?

What type of event is it - activates automatically, activates when the hero touches it, activates at a button press? Just curious.

The way to do it is to use a conditional branch in the event. Do you know how to find them and use them?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Evil Grin soory i dont know how
Posted 2008-01-03, 09:25 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Ah, good. I like RM2K3. :) I do..."
Lenny said:
Ah, good. I like RM2K3.

I do believe that setting switches can be done within the event window - create a new event (1), double click in the event window to bring up the event menu (2), click Switch Operations on the first page (3), set the switch options in the box (4) - to name the switch, click the three dots next to the switch name (5) and name it in the input box on the new window (6).

---

So you're main aim is to disable an event once it has been used, yes?

What type of event is it - activates automatically, activates when the hero touches it, activates at a button press? Just curious.

The way to do it is to use a conditional branch in the event. Do you know how to find them and use them?
.............................soory i dont know how
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Meganroid_6

Posted 2008-01-04, 07:21 AM in reply to Meganroid_6's post "soory i dont know how"
A conditional branch is basically an If statement:

<> If a variable = TRUE Then
<> Do actionA
<> Else
<> Do actionB

In this case, you want an event to not happen once it's happened once. As switches are global (that is, they work for all maps, not just the one they are used in), you can turn it on in the first map, go to a second map, go back to the first map, and it will be still on.

I'll pseudocode your event, just to demonstrate:

<> If Switch0001 is OFF Then
<> Event Actions Occur
<> Turn Switch0001 ON
<> Else
<> Do nothing

In the above code - the event checks if the switch is OFF. If it is, then the event takes place. At the end of the event, the switch is turned ON. Next time you run the event, it will check to see if the swtich is OFF. It will find it ON, and skip the event action. This effectively disables it.

---

Create a new event (1). Double click the event box (2) to bring up the commands menu, and go to page 3 (3). A third of the way down the second column, click Conditional Branch (4). In the switches 'tutorial', we created a switch called "Name it here". Use the dots to bring up the switches screen to select it (or make a new switch), OK it, and select OFF from the drop-down menu (5). Make sure the custom handler box is ticked (6) and click OK (7).

Back in the Event screen, double click the first blank line starting with "<>" (8) and add the event actions that you wish to do.

Directly after the actions, bring up the commands menu by double clicking the next blank line starting with "<>", go to page 1 (9), and click Switch Operations (10) halfway down the first column. Select the switch that you've used for the event by clickin the dots (11) to bring up the Switch menu, and set it to Turn On (12), then click OK (13), and save the event.

---

Now BlueCube will probably pop up and tell me that it's easier to do with Preconditions and extra pages, but I prefer the above method as it keeps it all on one page, and to me is easier to work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Grin
Posted 2008-01-04, 11:10 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "A conditional branch is basically an If..."
Wow, thanx very much... but i think i prefer extra pages... another one is i dint understand about the parralel ...(something) ... what it is used for?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Meganroid_6

Posted 2008-01-05, 10:05 AM in reply to Meganroid_6's post starting "Wow, thanx very much... but i think i..."
The Event Trigger - Parallel Process?

I'll explain all of them, if you want.

---

Action Key
You stand next to or on the event and press the action key (Enter)

Touch by Hero
The event is triggered the moment the hero stands on it

Collision with Hero
Not too sure - I believe that the event moves towards the hero, or is moving, and if it touches the hero, then the event is triggered

Auto-Start
Starts automatically

Parallel Process
Usually used with loops and conditional branches in the event - the moment a variable is changed, the event takes note of it, and may be triggered if the variable is correct (a switch turning on, for example)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny