Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

My observations of Acropolis...(long read)
Posted 2004-01-30, 06:36 AM
I just wanted to state my 2 cents about what I think of this shard so far. Let me first say that I realize that it is free, and IF I don't like I can always leave. It may come to that, but only time will tell.

1) Haven, starting as a newbie -
Good idea, great way to build stats and resources up before having to deal with PvP and death to boss type creatures. Although it was a bit lonely, it was quite helpful.

2) Custom Map -
Truely awesume getting to explore new lands and towns. I have refused to get UOMap going yet until I "discover" things on my own. Only complaint so far is that some of the building names are uninspired, or out of context (Supercuts, True value Hardware, Bank, etc.)

3) Character names -
As bad as everywhere else. A major disappointment here. The homepage says that character and guild names will be changed if offensive or something to that effect. It is a personal pet peeve of mine about character naming. Making a smithy called "The hands of God" is no longer clever. Mule's named as such is no longer clever. Heroic type names are annoying. Pick a normal name and let your actions lead to your reputation.

4) Economy -
This was one of the main reasons I came to this shard. There are, in my opinion 3 major factors that ruin economies on UO shards (both free and OSI's). The first being that characters never die, which is a topic of major debate and too long to go into here. The second, is mule characters. More than one character per account and more than one account per real life person just pulls the rug out from under any player based economy ideas. The third major is NPC shopkeepers buying crap made by players (this is ofcourse not a problem on Acropolis).

I thought this shard's major focus was on a player driven economy. With mule characters (which are too easy to develop due to the quick skill gain) are just defeating the purpose. I also think resources are too readily available. Imagine if there were only one small area on the shard that had Black Pearl. There would have to be round the clock guarding of this area and raids on this area to control the power of the shard. Those that like PvP could guard or raid the shard. Those that don't like PvP would just have to pay who ever controls the area for thier precious pearl. Same could be done for rare ores.

5) Admin messages -
Last night the Admin was broadcasting conversation about downloading music and other OOC stuff. While it is his shard to do as he pleases, it annoyed me to see this. Once again I state that it is not my shard and it is free and I can leave if I don't like it. I may just do that. But after reading over 30 webpages of other shards I chose to come here and try this one out. It seemed to be different, better.

6) Griefers -
I was killed by two assholes my first day out of haven. While I don't mind being killed, I do mind the fashion in which it was done. There is no need for trash talking and rez killing (the persons that attacked me had just rez killed someone multiple times). If I were an Admin, I would ban such players instantly.

In conclusion let me say that I really like this shard, and have briefly meet some very helpful people. I will play some more and explore the map. But I am still undecided about making this a permanent home.

Rufus
Citizen of Acroplis
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Rufus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRufus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Rufus

Posted 2004-01-30, 12:31 PM in reply to Rufus's post "My observations of Acropolis...(long..."
Rufus said:
1) Haven, starting as a newbie -
Good idea, great way to build stats and resources up before having to deal with PvP and death to boss type creatures. Although it was a bit lonely, it was quite helpful.
I am glad that Haven worked out for you.

Rufus said:
2) Custom Map -
Truely awesume getting to explore new lands and towns. I have refused to get UOMap going yet until I "discover" things on my own. Only complaint so far is that some of the building names are uninspired, or out of context (Supercuts, True value Hardware, Bank, etc.)
Well I hope you like my map so far, as for the signs in some places I am surpised that anyone even noticed they were named. Feel free to msg me with better name because I don't have the time to do such.

Rufus said:
3) Character names -
As bad as everywhere else. A major disappointment here. The homepage says that character and guild names will be changed if offensive or something to that effect. It is a personal pet peeve of mine about character naming. Making a smithy called "The hands of God" is no longer clever. Mule's named as such is no longer clever. Heroic type names are annoying. Pick a normal name and let your actions lead to your reputation.
I try to uphold this as much as I can. I have a long word list of names players can not have when making a character, but things get through and I try my best to get them when I see them and yet at the same time I try not to be a "Name Nazi".

Rufus said:
4) Economy -
This was one of the main reasons I came to this shard. There are, in my opinion 3 major factors that ruin economies on UO shards (both free and OSI's). The first being that characters never die, which is a topic of major debate and too long to go into here. The second, is mule characters. More than one character per account and more than one account per real life person just pulls the rug out from under any player based economy ideas. The third major is NPC shopkeepers buying crap made by players (this is ofcourse not a problem on Acropolis).

I thought this shard's major focus was on a player driven economy. With mule characters (which are too easy to develop due to the quick skill gain) are just defeating the purpose. I also think resources are too readily available. Imagine if there were only one small area on the shard that had Black Pearl. There would have to be round the clock guarding of this area and raids on this area to control the power of the shard. Those that like PvP could guard or raid the shard. Those that don't like PvP would just have to pay who ever controls the area for thier precious pearl. Same could be done for rare ores.
I'm always looking into new ways to balance the economy. I had tried your idea with the regs but it only made many players disgruntal.

Rufus said:
5) Admin messages -
Last night the Admin was broadcasting conversation about downloading music and other OOC stuff. While it is his shard to do as he pleases, it annoyed me to see this. Once again I state that it is not my shard and it is free and I can leave if I don't like it. I may just do that. But after reading over 30 webpages of other shards I chose to come here and try this one out. It seemed to be different, better.
Sorry for this, its not something I do offten. I was answering a few (ooc) question in a hurry. I won't do it again.

Rufus said:
6) Griefers -
I was killed by two assholes my first day out of haven. While I don't mind being killed, I do mind the fashion in which it was done. There is no need for trash talking and rez killing (the persons that attacked me had just rez killed someone multiple times). If I were an Admin, I would ban such players instantly.
I have come to the see that res killing is a part of the game, my answer to this is "no one told you to res there".

Rufus said:
In conclusion let me say that I really like this shard, and have briefly meet some very helpful people. I will play some more and explore the map. But I am still undecided about making this a permanent home.
I hope you stay and enjoy the shard.

Farewell,
Majere

I'm breaking the limit inside you, stop begging someone to hide you. I'm breaking the limit inside you, don't run away, bring it on straight to me!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Majere is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMajere is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Majere

Posted 2004-01-30, 07:37 PM in reply to Majere's post starting "I am glad that Haven worked out for..."
i feel rez killing is only a part of the game if u let it be, however don't always think this is the admins job players should really jump on rez killers people kinda just sit there and watch it and dont give a shit, if u saw a old lady gettin mugged in real life wud u just watch?
v1ck
the reason people have to get rezed there is for there stuff btw
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
v1ck is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenv1ck is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

v1ck

Posted 2004-01-30, 08:23 PM in reply to v1ck's post starting "i feel rez killing is only a part of..."
Dont Bring Important Stuff, When i go out a huntin (Or Stealin is more like it) all u will find on my corpse, is like, 10 or less bandies, and maybe ur stolen equipment
3rd World Relic Hunter
Master of the Bunny Horde
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Locke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenLocke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Locke