Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Computer randomly shuts down and has a hard time restarting
Posted 2017-07-13, 04:27 PM
Hello,

I have an HP Envy laptop running Windows 10. My computer, which seemed to be running fine yesterday, is having problems turning on today. When I pushed the power button it didn't want to turn on. After pushing it, holding it, tapping it repeatedly I finally got the thing on. While booting, it told me windows did not start correctly, and asked me if I wanted to troubleshoot, or just continue loading windows. I selected just continue loading windows, at which point it turned off. I again had the same issue -- the power button did not want to turn my machine on. I finally got the computer on again, and it again turned off (I don't remember if it was before or after the Windows loading screen turned on). I repeated this process maybe five or six times, and made it to different stages of booting before I my computer turned off. The furthest I made it was the Windows log in screen a couple of times, but never was able to make it past that.

When I made it to the Windows log in screen it said the battery was over half charged. I tried booting my computer with the battery removed but the problem persisted. I tried booting my computer only on battery power, and again, the problem persisted.

Neither the computer, nor the power button have ever given me problems before. I bought the computer just over a year ago. This definitely sounds like a hardware issue if it's giving me problems before it has even turned on, right? Any ideas what might be the issue, and what I can do to fix it?

Thanks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2017-07-13, 05:49 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Computer randomly shuts down and has a..."
Does it have trouble turning on when it hasn't been on for a while, or only after it has shut itself down? Kinda sounds like a heat issue to me but I'm no expert. If it still has trouble turning on even when completely cool, that would probably eliminate that possibility.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2017-07-13, 06:36 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Does it have trouble turning on when it..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Does it have trouble turning on when it hasn't been on for a while, or only after it has shut itself down? Kinda sounds like a heat issue to me but I'm no expert. If it still has trouble turning on even when completely cool, that would probably eliminate that possibility.
The first time I noticed it it would not turn on though it had been off for over a day. However, the last time I turned it on it turned on with some ease. Shut off after maybe 1-2 minutes -- enough time to start google chrome and check reddit very briefly.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2017-07-13, 06:46 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "The first time I noticed it it would..."
All fans functioning properly?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2017-07-13, 06:51 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "All fans functioning properly?"
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
All fans functioning properly?
Difficult to say. They were definitely working the last time I used it, but it doesn't stay on very long. Might open it up and have a look this weekend.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2017-07-14, 05:44 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Difficult to say. They were definitely..."
Sounds like soldering issue somewhere on the motherboard.. have you ever dropped it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2017-07-14, 11:23 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Computer randomly shuts down and has a..."
It sounds like a heat or power supply issue to me, as well. Could there have been a power surge during the night that damaged it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2017-07-14, 01:18 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Sounds like soldering issue somewhere..."
-Spector- said: [Goto]
Sounds like soldering issue somewhere on the motherboard.. have you ever dropped it?
This is kinda what I had in mind as well. If you've had any heat issues, it is possible that a solder point could have gotten weakened or broken, which could explain the power button issues. Could be a pretty simple fix if you can access it and fix the solder, but if it was caused by some sort of overheating you may have to remedy that as well (fix/replace a fan, clean out dust, use an external laptop chiller, etc.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2017-07-17, 09:53 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "This is kinda what I had in mind as..."
The laptop was unplugged the night before so it can't be a power surge. Unfortunate if it's a motherboard issue -- I don't have the slightest idea on how to go about fixing that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2017-07-18, 04:21 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "The laptop was unplugged the night..."
You buy a new laptop
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2017-07-19, 07:32 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "You buy a new laptop"
Depends on the problem and the laptop, really. There are repair shops that will fix motherboard issues, particularly if you use a standard/common laptop like a MacBook or something.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2017-07-19 at 07:54 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2017-07-20, 05:49 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Depends on the problem and the laptop,..."
The price of a motherboard repair merits a new laptop IMO.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-

Posted 2017-07-20, 11:49 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "The price of a motherboard repair..."
You might be able to get it repaired under warranty
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2017-07-20, 06:15 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You might be able to get it repaired..."
WetWired said: [Goto]

This is a good idea
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

-Spector-

Posted 2017-07-21, 10:06 AM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "The price of a motherboard repair..."
-Spector- said: [Goto]
The price of a motherboard repair merits a new laptop IMO.
Again, it really depends on the computer in question. A liquid damaged macbook motherboard (which is probably one of the worst damages) can be repaired for a few hundred bucks, much less than the cost of a brand new one. You're a lot better off finding an independent repair place (never an Apple store, they are ripoffs) and trying to get it fixed, especially if you can find a no-fix-no-fee place.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2017-07-24, 04:04 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "You might be able to get it repaired..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
Warranty expired in April unfortunately.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes