Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

RM2k3 + RMXP FAQS - *Please Read before posting!*

Posted 2004-08-01, 01:30 PM
RpgMaker 2003 FAQs

This contains questions that, quite frankly, get asked way too often. If your question isn't answered here, feel free to post a thread asking for help.

You CAN reply to this thread if you see an error or you just want something added or explained better.

------------

Switches/Variables

Q. What are Switches, and how do you use them?
A. Switches are a value that you can set ON or OFF. Just like a light switch. You use them by checking for the state of the switch (either by a branch, or an event's precondition) and have the event act accordingly. To use the light switch example again, let's say you want a bed event that will let you sleep, and a light switch that you can turn on and off. The events would look like this:

Code:
BED EVENT
Page 1 - Preconditions (0001:LightSwitch is OFF)
   <>Message:  "Good Night"
   <>Sleep
Page 2 - Preconditions (0001:LightSwitch is ON)
   <>Message:  "I can't sleep with the light on!"

LIGHT SWITCH EVENT
Page 1 - Preconditions (None)
   <>Switch Operation:0001:LightSwitch Toggle ON/OFF
See how easy that is? You would use the Light Switch event to control whether or not you can sleep in that room or not. This can be used for anything that has a ON/OFF situation, such as a soldier that appears when you beat a boss. Switches are global, which means that they affect the entire game - you can have one "master light switch" that affects every light in the game, for example.

Q. What are Variables, and how do you use them?
A. If you understand Switches, you can understand variables - it's like a switch, but it uses numbers instead of an ON/OFF setting. You can set a variable from anywhere between 0-9,999,999. It's probably easier to think of switches as variables that can only have a 0 or 1 setting. Variables just add more choices in the matter - If we go back to the Light switch idea, a variable can be used as a dimmer of sorts - MANY different possibilities, including using a comparison (LightValue < 10, or something).

The Font Problem

Q. I hate the font that comes with RPG Maker 2003! How do I change this?
A. This seems to be a major issue, so I'll just link to where I answered it before: http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27701

Battle-Related

Q. When I die in a random encounter, why does it go back to the field, instead of giving me a Game Over screen?
A. Go to the Database, and the "Battle Layout" tab. Change the "Random Encounter Death Handler" to "Game Over". I'm not sure why it's "Call Common Event" by default, but that's the way it is.

Q. Can I morph in a battle? (I.E. change battle charsets)
A. raven5540 provided this helpful link:
http://www.gamingw.net/content.php?id=452&cat=tutorial

In essence, this simply swaps out a character for another. True morphing abilities don't seem to exist, as you can't swap a battle charset in the middle of a battle.

Q. I made an item, but it won't do what I want! It just does the item animation, then the item sound, but it doesn't do anything.
A. Make sure the character can actually use that item. Go into the "Item" tab in the database and check your item to be sure.

Q. I made a spell, and the character should have it, but I can't see it at all!
A. Make sure your magic type corresponds to the type of magic you're selecting. If you check the "Battle Layout" tab in the database, and click on the "Set" button in the "Default Battle Commands" box, you'll get a window that allows you to change the names and types of commands. If it's Magic, the default setting is "Skill Subset", which means only skills marked as "Magic" show up there. If it's not Magic, it won't be there when you select it! You can change the skill's type in the "Skill" tab in the Database.

Q. I have enough MP to use a skill, but I can't select it.
A. Does it have an Animation for the character using it? That's required! Otherwise, only monsters can use that skill.

Q. I tell my monster to attack with the Blizzard Breath (or some other) skill on every third turn, but it sometimes doesn't do it.
A. Set the Priority to 100 for that skill.

Making Stuff

Q. What are the color specifications for graphics?
A. 256 colors. Always.

Q. What about size requirements?
A. Depends on the graphic. I suggest looking under "Image Specifications" in the Help menu for a more detailed look at the size requirements. This part of the Random Info thread is simply for problems.

Q. I keep getting an "invalid color depth" error when I try to import an image.
A. This can be summed up as the "256 color problem". Convert the image into a 256 color bitmap (In MSPaint, you would go to File..Save As and select 256 color bitmap from the file type dropdown menu.)

Q. When I do make my own BattleCharset, the default weapons won't line up right!
A. You'll have to make a copy of the standard weapons graphic. Shift the weapons around a bit until everything lines up. Save it as a different name, so default characters can use the old graphics. Or you could make your own weapons..

Q. Why are the Battle Charset's frames 48x48, while the Battle Weapons' frames are 64x64 ?
A. An 8 pixel border around the character. This allows for swords that, say, have the point going farther than the maximum character range. Otherwise, the default sword would be about half as long as it is now..

Q. I made a Tileset (aka Charset), but my character can walk anywhere, and the battles are always on Plains!
A. You need to set pass/block options. Go into the "Tileset" tab in the Database, and select your imported tileset. "Lower Layer" tab is selected be default. You'll see:
  • A "123 Terrain" button, which is enabled by default. Click on the "Defined Terrain Types" list on whatever terrain you want to "paint" a tile with, then click on the tile.
  • An "OX Passability" button, which defines where a character can walk. Click on a tile to toggle between the three states: O, for pass; X, for block; and Star, for having the tile be "above" the character (also allows for passing).
  • A "Directional Pass" button, which allows you to set which directions a character can walk onto/off of that tile. Blocking a direction overrides Passing from another tile. Click on the arrows to toggle between pass and block.
On the "Upper Layer" tab, the choices are thusly:
  • "OX Passability". Same as above.
  • "Directional Pass". Same as above.
  • "Counter Flag", which treats the tile as a counter. Any "Key Press" events can be activated directly across this tile. Best used to allow talking across a table, for example.

Q. When I go to use an image, it sometimes has a square around the image I'm using. This border color is the same as the background for the PNG file I'm using.
A. You need to set the transparency. When you import the image, you'll get a preview of how the file looks, with the ability to zoom in and out. At that point, click on the background - when it flashes, that means it's transparent. The border won't appear around the character again. If you don't actually import it through RPGMaker (in other words, you just copy it manually to your project folder) you should really stop doing that - you'll sometimes get lucky with the transparency, but it's generally not worth it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube