Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Angry Rant: Broken sig pics.
Posted 2002-04-23, 09:07 AM
Why is it that some of the biggest posters here can't keep thier sig pic working? I'm getting tired of seeing vertical space being hogged by a little grey box with a red X in it. How hard is it to reallize that your sig pic isn't working? Do you not even glance at your posts after you post them? Do you not notice that your earlier posts don't look quite right? Or do you have your sig on your hard drive so you're the only one who can see it? This really gets on my nerves, so fix your sig pics, or remove them.

I can offer some help to the clueless
In order to have a properly working sig pic, follow these steps:
  1. Create or have someone make you a sig pic in JPG or GIF format. BMP format is no good, it must be JPG or GIF
  2. Acquire a free hosting service, such as GeoCities. If you already have a free account somewhere, great
  3. Rename your sig pic file to the extention .txt (that's right, we're making things think this is a text file)
  4. Upload your sig to your free webspace; how you do this varies by your free hosting service. If you're using Geocities, goto geocities.com, sign in, then click on File Manager on the right and go from there
  5. Go into your profile and add an [img] tag to your sig (eg. ); remember that it's extention is .txt
  6. Go to a previous post you have made and verify that your sig pic shows up correctly
Is that really so hard?
--WetWired
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2002-04-23, 10:21 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
Good job.

One correction though, don't use Geocities. It blows ass.

Go to www.shinehost.com or www.yoursighost.com to host your pics.

Out of those two choices I recommend Shinehost because it's never been down, and it's VERY simple to use. The only problem with YourSigHost is that sometime it will not recognize the type of Pic you are trying to upload, even though it may very well be a valid type of file. (IE - .jpg or .gif)

-PozerPunk (www.shinehost.com)

Want a site with alot of hacks, gaming news, and Computer news? Well
Underground Candy Forums
is the place for you!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
PozerPunk is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPozerPunk is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

PozerPunk

Posted 2002-04-23, 10:38 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
Yes, Geocities sucks for hosting a web site, but I've never seen it down. I used to have my web site there, but I got ultimate hook ups and never have to mess with ads, poor service, or size limitations again.

Edit: 
Ouch...only 200k on shinehost? What kinda site can you fit in 200k?

If you're putting a sig pic there, and you follow my instructions, then your troubles will be minimal.
--WetWired
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2002-04-23, 01:19 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
Quote:
Ouch...only 200k on shinehost? What kinda site can you fit in 200k?
You don't need to fit a site in there...

Just your sig-pic.

-PozerPunk (Don't get wires wet)

Underground Candy Forums
is the place for you!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
PozerPunk is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenPozerPunk is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

PozerPunk

Posted 2002-04-23, 01:39 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
Quote:
(Don't get wires wet)
Actually the name itself, though not the concept, comes from a movie called Johnny Mnemonic (spelling?). It refers to a method of interfacing digital signals from a computer to the brain.

So essentially, my online persona claims to interface directly to computers, even though I myself don't (though it sometimes seems to be that way)
--WetWired
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2002-04-23, 01:40 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
Mine works fine it's just that you need to copy paste the URL... read under the freaking sig...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wiccan][V][asta

Posted 2002-04-23, 01:43 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
Read my instructions again. If you have a free host, rename the image .txt, and it'll work right. And yes, you are one of the people I'm talking about.

And if you know it doesn't display, then just display the URL, don't put it in an img tag
--WetWired
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2002-04-23, 01:59 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
yeah too bad it didn't work for me... from 50megs
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzWiccan][V][asta enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Wiccan][V][asta

Posted 2002-04-23, 02:18 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
That's cause 50 megs sux0rs.

Use Shinehost or Yoursighost.

They r0x0rs.

-PozerPunk (Just a suggestion)

Underground Candy Forums
is the place for you!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

PozerPunk

Posted 2002-04-23, 02:20 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
then find someplace else.

Here, I'll host it for you.
Edit: 
Looks like you found a new host already, so you don't need me to host it

So now you have no excuse, 'kay?
--WetWired

Last edited by WetWired; 2002-04-23 at 02:32 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2002-04-23, 02:24 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
these kinds of site don't like to be linked from other pages without going through themselves (with adds). I guess that's why all files like .jpg/ .gif/ .exe and so don't works. And i think that the texte file are ok; I like your idea to change the extension into .txt !!!
but i fixed it now.

Tkx to Sum Yung Guy (C)
Now RETIRED
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
User Name # 1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenUser Name # 1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

User Name # 1

Posted 2002-04-23, 02:31 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
I couldn't get the .txt trick to work so I used some servier Pozer reccomended to me. Worked fine.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wiccan][V][asta

Posted 2002-04-23, 02:39 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
Yippie!

Gold for me!

And Wiccan, now you can get rid of the part of your sig that says:
Quote:
(you need to copy paste the URL to see my sig)

-PozerPunk (I'm much too helpful these days)

Underground Candy Forums
is the place for you!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

PozerPunk

Posted 2002-04-23, 02:40 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
lol how true.. check your gold
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wiccan][V][asta

Posted 2002-04-23, 09:41 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
I could host sum sigs if anyone wants me to

Last edited by JohnnyTAE; 2002-04-24 at 02:04 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JohnnyTAE

Posted 2002-04-24, 11:55 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
shinehost worx for me, id suggest it for those that dont have hosts yet

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2002-04-25, 03:51 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
thanx now it should work

Made by: ::Teddybearian::
Edit by: ::Teddybearian::
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Teddybearian is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenTeddybearian is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Teddybearian

Posted 2002-04-25, 06:46 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
It isn't want me to host it jus pm me
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJohnnyTAE is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

JohnnyTAE

Posted 2002-04-26, 06:35 AM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
Teddybearian, it should be just .txt , not .txt.gif . All the free hosts check the last extention.

Browsers appear to be smart enough to figure out that it's really a picture, especially when the img tag says so
--WetWired
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2002-05-06, 09:08 PM in reply to WetWired's post "Rant: Broken sig pics."
Shinehost = Dead
Use yoursighost.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence