Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Posted 2008-05-05, 02:44 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Beat me to it :x."
Okay, we can look at our path through the rain as a volume... assuming an even distribution and a constant rate of rainfall, then each cross-section of that volume will have the same amount of rain at each moment in time. So, your speed through that volume doesn't matter if you are out in the rain for the same amount of time for both walking and running, but in reality, the point of the running is to get under shelter, so you will spend less time under the rain, thus getting less rain on you. Running or walking makes no predictable change to the number of rain drops in your path at any given moment.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
krisvek is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkrisvek is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

krisvek

Posted 2008-05-05, 03:29 PM in reply to krisvek's post starting "Okay, we can look at our path through..."
Here, I'll introduce a new question for debate as we've basically already covered the rain one. Suppose you are out in the opening away from any trees or foilage, (you're standing on just grass), and you're standing in the middle of a thunderstorm. Now there are two situations. One, the rain has ceased from falling, you've managed to stay dry somehow, and the thunderstorm is still going on. Two, the rain is still going on as well as the thunderstorm, and you are drenched. Would you be more susceptible to be electricuted (hit directly) by lightning in situation 1 or 2?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-05-05, 04:59 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Here, I'll introduce a new question for..."
I'm not really sure. I know the reason why there's so much static during winter is because the humidity in our homes is relatively low due to the furnaces, etc. I'll just say situation 1 .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-05-09, 01:18 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Does hail travel faster than rain when..."
Wallow said:
Does hail travel faster than rain when coming down from the clouds? Rail is lighter, but hail could have the effect of gravity on it more...
In saying this you stated that hail falls faster than rain......
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-05-09, 02:47 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "In saying this you stated that hail..."
Dude, no I didn't. It was a simple question
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2008-05-10, 07:21 AM in reply to Wallow's post starting "Here, I'll introduce a new question for..."
I don't think it will matter if you are wet or not. The lightning will strike the same rate all the time is my vote.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Coffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeCoffeedagger shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Coffeedagger

Posted 2008-05-10, 09:00 AM in reply to Coffeedagger's post starting "I don't think it will matter if you are..."
Lightning strikes the tallest object.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-05-10, 12:53 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Lightning strikes the tallest object."
Midgets shouldn't be worried, then.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-05-10, 01:15 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "Midgets shouldn't be worried, then."
What about the myth that Lightning never strikes in the same place twice. I think it's false, because lightning tends to be unpredictable and random during a thunderstorm.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow

Posted 2008-05-10, 01:18 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "What about the myth that Lightning..."
As far as I know, there is no logical reason why lightning couldn't strike the same place twice. It might be unlikely, but it's certainly not impossible.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-05-10, 01:39 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "As far as I know, there is no logical..."
hence why it's a myth
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow

Posted 2008-06-12, 04:54 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "hence why it's a myth:D"
This is something I found on weatherimagery.com

"A popular myth is that lightning cannot strike the same place twice, but nothing could be further from the truth. Lightning does, can and will strike the same exact place more than once. It doesn’t have a memory, and if an object has been struck once, it is no less likely to be struck a second time. If you don’t believe me, just ask some of the employees at Cape Canaveral in Florida. The shuttle launch pad gets hit time and time again, sometimes more than once in the same storm. How about the Empire State Building in New York city which gets struck by lightning about 25 times each year. Even Roy Sullivan was struck by lightning 7 times!"

So, I do believe that this is a myth.

Last edited by MidnightsChorus; 2008-06-12 at 04:55 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MidnightsChorus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMidnightsChorus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MidnightsChorus

Posted 2008-06-12, 06:47 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "As far as I know, there is no logical..."
The possibility of the same place being struck by lightning twice is 1 out of 1, imo. Although lightning strikes a small fraction of the earth's crust annually, over countless millenia I'm sure every piece of earth has been struck.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-06-12, 07:02 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "The possibility of the same place being..."
I wonder what kind of damage has been caused by simple lightning strikes
Fires could flame up, people could be injured, etc. etc.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Wallow

Posted 2008-06-12, 07:43 PM in reply to Wallow's post starting "I wonder what kind of damage has been..."
Many things can happen. Lightning strikes are a cause for concern in undeground mines. The lightning can penetrate deep into sealed off oldworks, which have high methane levels.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-06-13, 10:46 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Many things can happen. Lightning..."
Willkillforfood said:
The lightning can penetrate deep into sealed off oldworks, which have high methane levels.
Really? Wow, I did not know that. Lightning is extremly powerful.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
MidnightsChorus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenMidnightsChorus is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

MidnightsChorus

Posted 2008-06-14, 06:04 PM in reply to MidnightsChorus's post starting "Really? Wow, I did not know that...."
Yes, lightning can also cause great things in the earth it hits. If it hits certain types of soil (sandy I guess) it can cause the formation of a glass-like substance in the shape of the lightning strike. It looks like the roots from a tree and is pretty cool.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2008-06-14, 10:51 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Yes, lightning can also cause great..."
Willkillforfood said: [Goto]
Yes, lightning can also cause great things in the earth it hits. If it hits certain types of soil (sandy I guess) it can cause the formation of a glass-like substance in the shape of the lightning strike. It looks like the roots from a tree and is pretty cool.
These are shown in Sweet Home Alabama, in case anyone has seen it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-06-15, 10:30 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Yes, lightning can also cause great..."
Willkillforfood said:
Wow. That's really neat. I have never heard of that. I would love to see it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

MidnightsChorus

Posted 2008-06-16, 07:16 PM in reply to MidnightsChorus's post starting "Wow. That's really neat. I have never..."
i got this nice Coach umbrella that i flaunt around like a fag
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Mantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beMantralord seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Mantralord