Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Math Question
Posted 2007-09-22, 11:12 PM
How many combinations of three numbers can you have with the numbers 1 through 36?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kaneda is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kaneda

Posted 2007-09-23, 12:03 AM in reply to Kaneda's post "Math Question"
What rules are there? If position matters and each number can only be used once, it's 36x35x34. If position matters and numbers can be reused, it's 36x36x36. If position doesn't matter, only count of each number, it's a bit more complicated.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-09-23, 04:41 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "What rules are there? If position..."
Position doesn't matter and they can be re-used. Wow. So ya it would be to many to even bother with really.
Your fucking stupid
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
klo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeklo shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

klo

Posted 2007-09-24, 06:47 AM in reply to klo's post starting "Position doesn't matter and they can be..."
um, 36*36 = 1296

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-09-24, 11:37 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "um, 36*36 = 1296"
D3V said:
um, 36*36 = 1296
It isn't that simple because combination of numbers 1-9 will be three numbers and two numbers are used once you hit two digits.

Edit: Oh whoops, I thought you said three digits not three numbers.

Il papa caca nei legno?

Last edited by RoboticSilence; 2007-09-24 at 11:41 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2007-09-24, 12:00 PM in reply to RoboticSilence's post starting "It isn't that simple because..."
Okay then, 36x36x36 then.. Right? That would be the most

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2007-09-24, 12:34 PM in reply to klo's post starting "Position doesn't matter and they can be..."
8436 combinations, though I can't figure out an equation for it. What's this for, anyway?

Edit: 
Just to be clear, I interpreted your post as asking for the number of arrangements of three identical balls in 36 baskets

Last edited by WetWired; 2007-09-24 at 12:50 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2007-09-24, 08:40 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "8436 combinations, though I can't..."
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2007-09-25, 03:02 PM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "http://img167.imageshack.us/img167/1829/..."
Forum gold? what the fuck is that
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2007-09-25, 03:06 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Forum gold? what the fuck is that"
I dunno but somehow he buys pot with it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-09-25, 03:55 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "I dunno but somehow he buys pot with it."
I'm going to guess it's something to with D2. Maybe a lottery to win yourself gold in D2?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2007-09-25, 04:05 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "Forum gold? what the fuck is that"
-Spector- said:
Forum gold? what the fuck is that
I was thinking the same thing

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-09-26, 09:28 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "I was thinking the same thing :grin:"
There are 46656 possible combinations. 36 possible numbers per slot, 36*36*36=46656
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-26, 10:04 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "There are 46656 possible combinations. ..."
That was my second assumption, but I think we need the entire questions to decipher wtf this is really based off of.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2007-09-26, 10:06 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "That was my second assumption, but I..."
Kaneda posted what he was talking about. It's like a lottery where you pick 3 numbers which are 1-36, meaning you could pick 1-1-1 or 36-36-36 or 12-34-4, etc.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-26, 10:56 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Kaneda posted what he was talking..."
Wow ya D2. Before I was FORCED to quit I sold off as much items as I could and also stocked up on Ladder items(which didn't servive my hiatus). So I was thinking about how much fg I would need to buy every combination and possible make a profit, but I'd need like 300,000.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda

Posted 2007-09-26, 11:04 AM in reply to Kaneda's post starting "Wow ya D2. Before I was FORCED to quit..."
Not only that but it would take you forever and a day to buy all of those. Most likely you'd have to write a bot/macro to do it for you and it would probably take way too long to do it anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-26, 12:03 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "There are 46656 possible combinations. ..."
No, the answer is 8436, unless you think the lottery doesn't pay out on 1 2 3 if 2 3 1 was drawn.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

WetWired

Posted 2007-09-26, 12:36 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "No, the answer is 8436, unless you..."
Well, I'm assuming that 1-2-3 is different from 2-3-1. If you assume they are the same then it's more complicated than 36*36*36 and would significantly lower the number(as you've said.)

I think the standard, though, is lottery goes by order, but in some cases you can pay extra to get multiple other orders of the same numbers to count as well.

For example, if you pick 1-2-3 and 2-3-1 gets drawn, you don't win unless you pay that extra amount.

However, that's only based off of my personal experience with playing the lottery, and might be completely different from D2JSP's lottery system.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-09-26, 12:53 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Well, I'm assuming that 1-2-3 is..."
I'm not positive but I would assume 3-2-1 would be the same as 1-2-3 and I don't really feel like checking. Even at 8436, I would still need 45,000 gold or so.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kaneda