Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > DayZ

DayZ
Posted 2012-08-05, 10:11 PM
Anyone play or heard of this game? I play it and am pretty good but the problem is most of my friends aren't into games of such slow pace / realism. It's a very team oriented game and it's hard to find any squad mates in-game since people generally shoot on sight from paranoia, wanting your gear, or just being dicks. If anyone plays it or wants to play it let me know. The system requirements aren't too bad I run an HD Radeon 5770 but just ordered an upgrade to the GTX 570 HD 2560. Although, the 5770 runs it at over 30 fps on moderate setting - it was just time for an upgrade for me anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2012-08-06, 12:10 AM in reply to S2 AM's post "DayZ"
I started playing it today, Chruser plays as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-06, 12:20 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I started playing it today, Chruser..."
What are we waiting for? I've got a pistol!

(RIP SVD Camo.)
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2012-08-06, 07:45 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "What are we waiting for? I've got a..."
I managed to finally get a pretty good start.

Weapons:
DMR (Sniper)
AKM (Assault)
Makarov PM (Pistol)

Tools:
Hatchet
Hunting Knife
Map (Almost as useful as the GPS, I would guess)
Flashlight
Toolbox
Watch

Vision:
Binocs

Misc:
Tent
Camouflage Clothing

Backpack:
Alice Pack

I'm really digging the map, it basically has a built in compass and I can place custom markers. Having dayzdb.com/map makes it pretty easy to get anywhere as far as navigation goes, and sometimes it shows zeds on the map as well. I haven't encountered a survivor on this character yet so I'm not sure if they show. I found two maps in a single shopping mart, so I think I have an extra or two if anyone wants to meet up and get one, assuming I don't get eaten or shot before then.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-06, 08:27 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I managed to finally get a pretty good..."
It interests me. I may try it. I've been watching some guys on youtube play it.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-08-06, 11:40 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "It interests me. I may try it. I've..."
Asamin said: [Goto]
It interests me. I may try it. I've been watching some guys on youtube play it.

sacriel42's DayZ series is pretty good:

BORKED
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2012-08-06, 04:11 PM in reply to S2 AM's post "DayZ"
I've been reading about it for a while and would love to play, but my current laptop doesn't have the muscle to run it. I definitely enjoy the videos of crazy shit going down on youtube, though.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2012-08-06, 06:58 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "I've been reading about it for a while..."
I cracked out and played for like 8 hours last night, I'm addicted. I'm worried it might get old fast, though.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-06, 08:12 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I cracked out and played for like 8..."
Do you guys have mumble? If you do there is a free server we could all get into and maybe try to link up. I usually play evenings around 1800 - 0100 EST. This week might be rocky because work is picking up and I might be doing overtime.

When you go to fill in the mumble fields for a new server it's
Label: [Whatever you want here]
Address: server.herosquad.org
Port: 64738
UserName [Again, whatever you wish]

It's a 100 slot chat server with logical organization so maybe go to
Games -> ArmA CC whisper blocker -> DayZ -> Braaaains

Or if you guys have a better VoIP option or communication method I'm DTF. We can of course use Zelaron but it's not as quick as I'd like sometimes.

I had the FN FAL with AN/PVS-4 but I squandered it by moving around in the daytime too much with it and was ambushed. I also play with some guys that have a helicopter stashed on a particular server.

If we start to play together a lot Chruser could possibly make a private sub forum so we could discuss locations and plans. Having ANYONE who I don't trust know the locations or servers we use could potentially be very bad - I don't know how your guys' experience with strangers has been so far but mine has been almost unanimously bad.

Last edited by S2 AM; 2012-08-06 at 08:15 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM

Posted 2012-08-07, 08:04 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Do you guys have mumble? If you do..."
I have to wait till I get my new computer to try anything like that. The one I use now runs on an integrated graphics chip so it's pretty much useless in the realm of gaming.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2012-08-07, 05:30 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Do you guys have mumble? If you do..."
S2 AM said: [Goto]
Do you guys have mumble? If you do there is a free server we could all get into and maybe try to link up. I usually play evenings around 1800 - 0100 EST. This week might be rocky because work is picking up and I might be doing overtime.

Sounds good. K_A and I used the server you listed last night, with great success (aside from the part with his keyboard dying while he was unconscious and bleeding).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2012-08-07, 05:37 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Sounds good. K_A and I used the server..."
Yeah, it's kind of shitty when you can't even alt+f4. At least I still had mouse function so I could kill the zeds that were attempting to eat me. Hopefully I'm not deceased when I log on tonight.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-07, 06:52 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Yeah, it's kind of shitty when you..."
Try the power button on the front of your computer bro
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

S2 AM

Posted 2012-08-07, 06:59 PM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Try the power button on the front of..."
That's what I had to resort to. It was really the only option I had other than disconnecting my internet manually, I guess. It was still pretty shitty because I couldn't log back in and receive aid from Chruser at the time. I had no means to fix my keyboard (dead batteries with no replacements at ~3AM). Hopefully I'm not dead and he can administer aid when I get home.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-08, 02:59 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's what I had to resort to. It was..."
After my next paycheck I believe I will purchase this game.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-08-09, 01:23 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "That's what I had to resort to. It was..."
Just tried the sanctuary servers tonight, it's a nice change much less shoot on sight. Plus I run with a group on the normal hive so It's nice to have a hive on the side where I can play and not get far away from my group when they aren't playing.

Storytime:
Right after a server reset we are near the main airfield (we didn't plan this like I'm sure some people do but we did try to capitalize on it). Both of my friends have axes and I have an M16. We see a downed helicopter, nothing in it. We move to the barracks and they look pretty bare as well. My girlfriend suddenly gets shot standing in the doorway to the barracks with nothing but an axe (she's pretty terrible but getting better). My other buddy is laying near the runway and I'm in the barracks. I begin to play the waiting game. The guy eventually walks by oblivious that she wasn't alone, and I put 3 bursts into him while he's crouch walking past my door. He somehow makes it past and then I try to run out the door to finish him off, but have problems getting out the door as so often happens. By the time I'm out the door he's logged off like a gigantic pussy. I can only hope that whatever server he jumped onto he's bleeding out and dies, or someone else kills him while he is on the ground. I'm pretty sure from the gunfire that he was rocking the FAL from the downed helicopter and I would wager camped the server restart too.

SIDENOTE:
Start playing Sanctuary servers with my small group of newb friend, and play the main servers as my side server :-)

Last edited by S2 AM; 2012-08-09 at 01:25 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

S2 AM

Posted 2012-08-09, 07:31 AM in reply to S2 AM's post starting "Just tried the sanctuary servers..."
I need both the game and the expansion correct?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2012-08-09, 09:57 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I need both the game and the expansion..."
You need ARMA II: Combined Operations. It's $30 on Steam. Supposedly you can use the free version of ARMA II and buy Operation Arrowhead for $20 and still be able to play DayZ, but it is not recommended.

This page is really useful:
http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/How_to_install_DayZ

I suggest using the Six Updater method. It has worked for me, at least. Here's a tl;dr version from Chruser:
Quote:
TL;DR is to install ARMA II, start it and exit from the main menu, do the same for Operation Arrowhead, then download Six Updater ( http://www.dayzmod.com/?SixUpdater ), and install DayZ with it.
If you're doing this via Steam, you may have to verify the integrity of your game files, and/or start Steam as an administrator to be able to launch Operation Arrowhead.
Or more rarely, you may have to install DirectX 9 due to some files that are missing from newer DirectX revisions.
If you're using Steam, you can add "-mod=@dayz" sans quotes as the launch options to Operation Arrowhead, then launch Combined Operations.
(But launching with Six Launcher is okay, too, even if you may not get the Steam overlay.)
I'm going to try to put up a resource thread (links to useful things like this, and a map, item database, etc) and a beginner's guide today or tomorrow. I'll probably break up the beginner's guide into a lite version and a more detailed version.

Last edited by !King_Amazon!; 2012-08-09 at 10:05 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2012-08-09, 03:22 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "You need ARMA II: Combined Operations. ..."
It's worth noting that starting Steam as an administrator will take care of a lot of different problems for the initial launch of Operation Arrowhead.

More specifically about the DirectX part: If you're getting various error messages about DirectX components missing (particularly X3DAudio1_6.dll), or Steam tries to install DirectX perpetually, try installing the latest version of DirectX. If that doesn't work, you may want to install the DirectX 9 Redistributable from here as well: http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...009_redist.exe
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2012-08-09, 08:50 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "It's worth noting that starting Steam..."
I play TF2 so DX9 is already on my computer. I already run as admin. Tomorrow I'll go and buy it. Just have to deposit my paycheck.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin