Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

My Review of LOTR Online: Shadows of Angmar
Posted 2007-06-01, 09:46 PM

Gameplay: The quests are always fun, and there is no directional arrow to tell you where to go. For quest givers there is a little icon on your compass but you have to be near the quest giver to see it. I like it this way. It forces you to read the quest log, something I didn't always do in WoW and never did in SWG. The combat is smooth, and playing as a Minstrel (a healer basically that plays instruments to heal 'morale' aka hit points). There is no grind feel in this game thus far.

8/10 (so far)

Music/sound: One of the best parts of this game is the music and sound. There is a music system in this game that is very different than the one I was expecting. I thought it'd be like SWG's, which is pre-orchestrated songs, etc. It's not. The whole music system where you get to pick up an instrument and free style leaves a whole lot of room for player interaction, something I've enjoyed since my days in SWG.

10/10

Player-base: I play on the server Gladden and it's great here. One of the most mature player bases I've seen. There's a lot of interaction between the players, and I've grouped with a lot of people. I've met a few morons on the "OOC" chat, so that brings the rating down a bit, but those types of players are expected.

9/10

Crafting system/player economy: Not much to say about it really. Solid.

8/10

Addiction level: I find myself wanting to play rather than forcing myself to play, which is a good thing. I'm not bored with the game, and I want to play more. I do though at times (mostly killing the mobs) find myself playing PS2 and LOTRO at the same time, so I can't say the addiction level is completely high yet.

7/10

General
: Another WoW clone, right? No, LOTRO is definitely not a WoW clone. I'd say it's similar to SWG environmentally-wise, and the only reason it can even be considered a WoW clone by some are its quests. This is not a bad thing, as the quests in WoW are what made it the most successful MMORPG.

7/10

CAN'T comment on PVP or End-game as I haven't tried either yet.

Overall: 8/10

Last edited by NonGayMan; 2007-06-02 at 10:09 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2007-06-02, 04:37 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post "My Review of LOTR Online: Shadows of..."
NonGayMan said:
The combat is smooth, and playing as a Minstrel (a healer basically that plays instruments to heal 'morale' aka hit points).
Did you just say you were a menstrual cycle?

Seriously though, what's the cost associated with this game?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
khwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzkhwiii enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

khwiii

Posted 2007-06-02, 10:07 AM in reply to khwiii's post starting "Did you just say you were a menstrual..."
khwiii said:
Did you just say you were a menstrual cycle?

Seriously though, what's the cost associated with this game?
Just like every MMO, 15 dollar monthly fee with those silly reduced costs if you sign up for 3 months, 6 months, and there's even a "Lifetime Membership" cost of $200, which would be nice if I planned on playing this game for my entire life.

You can also buy a gamecard.

Remember though after you sign up for one month it keeps signing up over and over until you unsubscribe, so there's no point in doing 3 months unless you really like the reduced costs.

BTW Minstrel = not menstrual LOL but Minstrels are highly fruity in this game - a SCREAM does damage and your guitar aka lute does damage, heals people, etc. It's really strange sometimes.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2007-06-02, 10:43 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post starting "Just like every MMO, 15 dollar monthly..."
So nongayman makes gay characters? WHAT A PARADOX!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood