Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Opinions
Posted 2008-03-29, 05:55 PM
Definitions of opinion:
a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Quote:
"We should never let ourselves be burnt for our opinions; we are not that sure of them. But perhaps for this -- that we may have and change our opinions." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth." - Joseph Joubert

"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinions." - James Russell Lowell
i. How strongly should opinions be held?

There are a few members on this forum who vehemently hold to their opinions without giving consideration to opposing viewpoints, while there are some here that change their opinion with just a small push. After what point is someone holding onto their opinion too strongly? Conversely, after what point can someone be considered -too- open-minded?

Quote:
"The fewer the facts, the stronger the opinion." - Arnold H. Glasgow

"Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." - Bernard M. Baruch
ii. Should opinions be based on emotions and instinct, or on reason?

I can think of a few people that base their opinions mainly on their feelings and emotions towards something. Similarly, some people only base them on facts or evidence. Are opinions something that should be carefully considered, or should they be based on reaction? What if you have no initial reaction?

Quote:
"We hardly find any persons of good sense save those who agree with us." - Francois Duc de la Rochefoucauld

"People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character." - Ralph Waldo Emerson
iii. Do you base your assessment of a person on their opinions?

Are your friends those who agree with you; do you find yourself frustrated with people who do not share many of your points of view?

Quote:
"The fact that an opinion has been widely held is no evidence whatever that it is not utterly absurd." - Bertrand Russell

"Truth always rests with the minority, and the minority is always stronger than the majority, because the minority is generally formed by those who really have an opinion, while the strength of a majority is illusory, formed by the gangs who have no opinion -- and who, therefore, in the next instant (when it is evident that the minority is the stronger) assume its opinion... while truth again reverts to a new minority." - Soren Kierkegaard
iv. How do you think the "majority" forms their opinions?

If you think of more questions, please post them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-03-29, 09:30 PM in reply to Grav's post "Opinions"
1.) This depends. On something factual and objective, opinions should be extremely malleable. You can adhere to your subjective opinions as strongly as you wish. However, note: even subjective opinions (ethics, who you love, etc.) are based on objective premises. If those premises prove faulty, or if your reasoning for your opinion based off of those premises proves faulty, then you should reconsider your subjective opinions.

2.) Objective opinions should be based on reasons alone. Subjective opinions should be based on a combination of the two.

3.) Yes. While I am friends with people whose opinions differ radically from my own, I am often irascible around them. It's not necessary that you see things exactly my way, however I get along far better with people who do see things my way.

4.) Based on whatever they are fed first.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes