Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Sig size
Posted 2009-07-21, 10:10 AM
Why is the sig size 500 X 125? Almost all other forums I go to don't have a given size and most sigs that are out there are 400 X 150. I myself design sigs and make them all 400 X 150, my sig is the only 500 X 125 one I have made. I was just wondering if this could be changed because I would like to use some of the sigs I have made here.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2009-07-21, 10:15 AM in reply to Asamin's post "Sig size"
I wouldn't be against making it bigger but all of the forums I've seen that have no set size end up having people who make absurdly large sigs and that gets annoying.

I'd rather them up the max filesize for sigs and avatars, myself. Mainly avatars, since there's no way around that requirement. At least I can host my sig elsewhere if I want.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-21, 10:17 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "I wouldn't be against making it bigger..."
No, I got around the avatar file size one. This is like 200kb
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2009-07-21, 10:59 AM in reply to Asamin's post "Sig size"
Because, as !K_A! said, bigger sigs can be incredibly annoying - you try scrolling halfway down the page simply to get to the next post.

An extra 25px to the height won't be much (it's slightly smaller than the height of a standard taskbar), but I don't think there's much call for it - changing something to please one person isn't done very often, rather that person has to change to meet the standard. If enough people want it, however, then there's a good reason for it to be changed.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-07-21, 11:56 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "No, I got around the avatar file size..."
Asamin said: [Goto]
No, I got around the avatar file size one. This is like 200kb
Orly? How?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-21, 12:33 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Orly? How?"
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Orly? How?
His Bankai gives him the power to do it.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2009-07-21, 12:57 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "His Bankai gives him the power to do it."
Thanks for yet another worthless post, Skurai!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-21, 01:39 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Thanks for yet another worthless post,..."
If you mean how did I get it up, I don't know, I just uploaded it. I was expecting an error message but I didn't get one.

If you mean how is it 200kb, there was a lot of level recoloring and at least 3 C4Ds in there, all of them changing lighting.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2009-07-21, 01:44 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "If you mean how did I get it up, I..."
I was asking how you uploaded it, because it shouldn't be possible to upload an avatar greater than 120kb. I've even tried recently, with avatars that were roughly 160kb, and got an error message.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-21, 04:00 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "If you mean how did I get it up, I..."
If it's too big, vBulletin makes it smaller. Your avatar is 37176 bytes, Asamin.

Unless you're trying to use an animated avatar, there's no reason to need more than 120k. An uncompressed 150x150 32 bit image requires well under that figure. If you're using GIFs and you crop the image to the circular frame, you could easily have 7 frames in 120k. My 26 frame 500x125 animated signature weighs in at (well) under 120k.

As far as the size of the signature space goes, the 125px height was somewhat arbitrary, but it's been the limit for over 6 years now and hasn't been an issue. Before that, we had people with 600x480 sigs and worse.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-07-21, 10:55 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "If it's too big, vBulletin makes it..."
I was just pointing it out after starting to make these things and realizing almost everyone makes them either 400 X 150 or 350 X 150
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2009-07-22, 07:50 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "If it's too big, vBulletin makes it..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
Unless you're trying to use an animated avatar, there's no reason to need more than 120k. An uncompressed 150x150 32 bit image requires well under that figure. If you're using GIFs and you crop the image to the circular frame, you could easily have 7 frames in 120k. My 26 frame 500x125 animated signature weighs in at (well) under 120k.
As an example, here is KA's avatar with 8 frames using 91k (and not marred by whatever strange compression he used)
Attached Images
File Type: gif Animation1.gif (90.7 KB, 18 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2009-07-22, 07:59 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I was just pointing it out after..."
Asamin said: [Goto]
I was just pointing it out after starting to make these things and realizing almost everyone makes them either 400 X 150 or 350 X 150
That's not true. Forums I go to don't use 400 x 150 or 350 x 150. I've been to forums with 500 x 100, (with 80 x 80 avatar), 600 x 200, 550 x 150, and anything (multiple images, no restriction).

The sig sizes are fine as it is.. more importantly, people don't really pay attention to it after awhile.

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2009-07-22, 08:16 AM in reply to WetWired's post starting "As an example, here is KA's avatar with..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
As an example, here is KA's avatar with 8 frames using 91k (and not marred by whatever strange compression he used)
Kick ass. I'm not skilled enough to do anything that requires more than paint and online gif makers.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-07-22, 08:33 AM in reply to Senesia's post starting "That's not true. Forums I go to don't..."
Senesia said: [Goto]
That's not true. Forums I go to don't use 400 x 150 or 350 x 150. I've been to forums with 500 x 100, (with 80 x 80 avatar), 600 x 200, 550 x 150, and anything (multiple images, no restriction).

The sig sizes are fine as it is.. more importantly, people don't really pay attention to it after awhile.
Actually, I ment the people that make them make them 400 X 150, not that other forums make the limit that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2009-07-22, 12:51 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Actually, I ment the people that make..."
WW is one of those conservative/traditional types... it will take years of bothering him before he changes something like that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-07-22, 08:31 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "WW is one of those..."
Well then, I'd better start bothering!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2009-07-22, 10:27 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "Well then, I'd better start bothering!"
There, I designed a sig and avatar around your specifications. Not to bad!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin

Posted 2009-07-23, 05:40 AM in reply to Asamin's post starting "There, I designed a sig and avatar..."
Except bleach is one of the most poorly written mangas ever. No amount of character design can make up for that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-07-23, 08:08 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Except bleach is one of the most poorly..."
Grav said: [Goto]
Except bleach is one of the most poorly written mangas ever. No amount of character design can make up for that.
Eh, they make for a good sig.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Asamin