Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Need some electronics help.
Posted 2005-08-28, 08:44 AM
I have a bunch of 6v batteries, and I want to bring it down to 5v.
This is for a PSP powersupply I am making for when I dont have an outlet around and my PSP is dead.

I didnt really pay much attention in electronics class in army school, can one of you guys help me out? S2 AM? Titusfied?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2005-08-28, 10:05 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post "Need some electronics help."
What you need is a voltage regulator. Normally, finding a regulator for 5v is simple, since 5v is a very common voltage for electronics; however, most of them will want at least 7.5v or so input voltage. You could pair up your batteries to make a 12v input, but with a linear regulator, that would be wastefull, so I would suggest you get a switching regulator with a 5v output and setup your batteries in parallel groups of two in series. Also, make sure that the regulator's output amperage matches or exceeds that of the supply you're replacing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-08-28, 01:32 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "What you need is a voltage regulator. ..."
WetWired said:
What you need is a voltage regulator. Normally, finding a regulator for 5v is simple, since 5v is a very common voltage for electronics; however, most of them will want at least 7.5v or so input voltage. You could pair up your batteries to make a 12v input, but with a linear regulator, that would be wastefull, so I would suggest you get a switching regulator with a 5v output and setup your batteries in parallel groups of two in series. Also, make sure that the regulator's output amperage matches or exceeds that of the supply you're replacing.
Well for when you don't have a Radio Shack outside your tent. I'm too tired to give you a good answer tonight. Look on the internet, you're gonna need something that offers resistance. I'm not sure exactly how much, but I'm sure you could find a list of common items and their resistances somewhere online. If I were there, we could use my multimeter, but I'm not.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
S2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeS2 AM shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

S2 AM