Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Telepathically linked suicide?
Posted 2006-03-03, 06:01 PM
Oh great, another of those strange coincidences. Okay, first off, I'm a happy, positive person, and I love life, but last night, my mind was literally filled with really dark, suicidal thoughts. It was totally unlike me, and very much weird.

As it turns out, a close friend of mine's class mate (or someone attending her grade at school at least) whom she knew pretty well jumped off a bridge last night. My friend claims to have no idea why he killed himself, and she described him as "the happiest bloke in town".

I talked to my friend on MSN, so I figured that adds another possibility; three in total so far:

1. TCP/IP-based telepathy.
2. Another experimental result pointing in the general direction of the existence of a quantified, discrete world of multiverses, which contains at least one universe for every possibility.
3. Two totally unrelated freak incidents.

Thoughts?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2006-03-03, 06:12 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Telepathically linked suicide?"
Numero tres, I'm sure.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-03-03, 09:49 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Numero tres, I'm sure."
Coincidence methinks. A lot of people have guises they portray to the outside world while sheltering dark thoughts inside. You were just down :P.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-03, 11:02 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Coincidence methinks. A lot of people..."
i dunno.....but I do believe in telepathy and stuff...maybe you did channel into that person's "frequency" while they felt depressed. There is a pretty long shot that it was mere coincidence. They say people with extreme emotions (not emo) I.E. depressed, excited, happy, angry...can send that feeling out to other people without trying. Maybe it was like those people who dial random phone numbers when they are about to commit suicide, and he just happened to "dial your number".

I'd go with telepathy...
R.I.P
Pontiac
Jan. 1926 - Dec. 2010 est.

Check the Gallery and Scrapbook often!
[deviantArt Account!]

Spy Hard
Agent WD-40:
Quote:
Well, you carry a UB-21 Schnauzer with an OPS Silencer, that's KGB, You prefer an 18-K over an AK, Your surveillance technique is NSA, Your ID is CIA, you recieved your PHD at NYU, traded in your GTO for a BMW, you listen to CD's by REM and STP, and you'd like to see JFK in his BVDs getting down with OPP and you probably put the toilet paper back on the roll with the paper on the inside...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Draco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessDraco2003 has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Draco2003

Posted 2006-03-04, 05:22 AM in reply to Chruser's post "Telepathically linked suicide?"
Well, it'd be nice to believe the telepathy bit. But if you've had no history of it before etc, the chances are it was #3.

Maybe you'd just had a bad day, or you weren't feeling too well. It happens to everyone. I'm usually really happy, and bouncy, and whatever, but occasionally I get really depressed for no reason. Same with you?

EDIT: Just realised I missed Draco's post. If someone in a group is really really happy, then other's in the group will start to share the feeling. If one is extremely depressed, other's might feel their moods dampened. If someone yanws, everyone yawns. Something to do with human nature.

Though how would the emotion be transmitted over a large distance? Twins are said to be able to do it, but what about everyone else? We could've had a whole neighbourhood in Sweden jumping off bridges.

Last edited by Lenny; 2006-03-04 at 05:25 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-03-04, 04:37 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Well, it'd be nice to believe the..."
Some studies show that there are links between humans that we cannot see. Tai Chi masters can send "energy" or emotions or some shit to their students who are placed in another building :P. At least that's what some japanese studies show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-04, 05:00 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Some studies show that there are links..."
Willkillforfood said:
Some studies show that there are links between humans that we cannot see. Tai Chi masters can send "energy" or emotions or some shit to their students who are placed in another building :P. At least that's what some japanese studies show.
my sister once did an experiment about EMFs(Electro-Magnetic Fields) in humans. she laid facedown on a bed and had her friend place a hand a few inches above her back, not touching her back, and my sister was able to tell her friend where her friends hand was above her back. i believe we as humans have a very faint sense of the EMF.
i myself can sleep in a moving car wake up, open my eyes and tell aproximitely which general direction we are going(north, south, east, west) although what i think is north is off by 90 degrees and every direction after that is also off in the same direction by 90 degrees(i don't remember in what direction though), for example noth = east, east = south, etc etc. it either has to do with the position of the sun, or an awareness of the earth's magnetic poles.
on another note, think about birds, how do they know which way is north or south? i think it's because they are more aware of the earth's magnetic field than we are. i guess it might have somthing to do with what we're talking about, maybe the "energy" they could "send" was really a EMF that was extended and focused that trained students could sense. i don't know, it's just a guess.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sciencekid

Posted 2006-03-04, 06:33 PM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "my sister once did an experiment about..."
sciencekid said:
my sister once did an experiment about EMFs(Electro-Magnetic Fields) in humans. she laid facedown on a bed and had her friend place a hand a few inches above her back, not touching her back, and my sister was able to tell her friend where her friends hand was above her back. i believe we as humans have a very faint sense of the EMF.
i myself can sleep in a moving car wake up, open my eyes and tell aproximitely which general direction we are going(north, south, east, west) although what i think is north is off by 90 degrees and every direction after that is also off in the same direction by 90 degrees(i don't remember in what direction though), for example noth = east, east = south, etc etc. it either has to do with the position of the sun, or an awareness of the earth's magnetic poles.
on another note, think about birds, how do they know which way is north or south? i think it's because they are more aware of the earth's magnetic field than we are. i guess it might have somthing to do with what we're talking about, maybe the "energy" they could "send" was really a EMF that was extended and focused that trained students could sense. i don't know, it's just a guess.
The composition of the Electo-Magnetic field your body exerts around you would be dictated but the molecular structure of your body -- something we have no control over. Furthermore, even if we could somehow figure out a way to control the electro-magnetic field that radiates from our body, there would be an enormous amount of interference between your EMF, and the EMF of other objects in between you and what you are "focusing" on, unless what you focused on was millimeters from you. As for your sisters study, there could be plenty of variables that would have allowed your sister to know where along her back the hand was placed -- for instance, the body gives off heat, which could be how she knew. Her study is not wrong though, according to quantum physics, humans can definitely detect the interaction between electric fields -- in fact, you've, according to quantum physics, you've never touched anything in your life, you've only felt the interaction between the electric forces given off by another object and your hand. If you don't believe me, look you'll have to look deep into electric repulsion.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2006-03-04 at 06:48 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-03-04, 08:10 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "The composition of the Electo-Magnetic..."
the feeling she felt in her experiment i think had to do with the feeling you get when you know someones looking at you, kind of like when your hair stands up on end and then you turn around and someones there staring at you

as for the electrical repulsion, we're studying it in my college astronomy class, so i do believe you in what you say, it seems logical. what i want to know, is how come waves like sound need a medium, but EM waves don't, but are still affected and yet not effected by things like the expansion of space? my teacher won't give me a straight answer. it might help explain how one could "project" their EMF.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
sciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweensciencekid is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

sciencekid

Posted 2006-03-04, 08:39 PM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "the feeling she felt in her experiment..."
sciencekid said:
the feeling she felt in her experiment i think had to do with the feeling you get when you know someones looking at you, kind of like when your hair stands up on end and then you turn around and someones there staring at you
Ehh, that's a lot of talk. What happens is that you have a slight, subconscious feeling that someone might be looking at you. This probably happens a lot more than you would expect, it's just that you're going to remember it when you find out that some actually is looking at you.

Quote:
how come waves like sound need a medium, but EM waves don't
Well, that's the difference between mechanical and electromagnetic waves. Electromagnetic waves are created by the vibration of an electric charge.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-03-04, 09:50 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Ehh, that's a lot of talk. What happens..."
In the human brain we actually have tiny bar magnets or load stones in our cells as do many creatures that supposedly use it to navigate. From whales to bacteria it can be found (and some hypothesis the straight load stones found in some bacteria lead to the first back bones.) Yea, there are bacteria that use magnets to migrate too :P.

Anyways, the tai chi thing seems very different from your sister's experiment. They were in different buildings sometimes hundreds of feet apart and the apprentice would react when the master did his little DBZ shooty thingy with his hands :P (looked like it :P.) There may be some sort of coincidence but even if it happens 80-90% of the time I'd say there's something to it (just as long as they didn't you know, time the reactions for every minute or some shit like that :P.)

It's all being researched right now, anyways.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-05, 03:09 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Ehh, that's a lot of talk. What happens..."
mjordan2nd said:
Ehh, that's a lot of talk. What happens is that you have a slight, subconscious feeling that someone might be looking at you. This probably happens a lot more than you would expect, it's just that you're going to remember it when you find out that some actually is looking at you.
i was looking for anything that would be like the feeling that she got, i wasn't trying to say that it was a direct similiarity, ok?
anyway, you're avoiding the question, what do you think about the experiment she did, not the feeling she got or didn't get?

mjordan2nd said:
Well, that's the difference between mechanical and electromagnetic waves. Electromagnetic waves are created by the vibration of an electric charge.
that's what my teacher said as well, but i'm asking even beyond that, why is it able to not need a medium, and don't say that it just does, cause that's not what i want to hear. i heard that it's a rip in time/space, but i don't know.

-----------------

Willkillforfood said:
In the human brain we actually have tiny bar magnets or load stones in our cells as do many creatures that supposedly use it to navigate. From whales to bacteria it can be found (and some hypothesis the straight load stones found in some bacteria lead to the first back bones.) Yea, there are bacteria that use magnets to migrate too :P.
really? that's cool, where did you find out about that?

Willkillforfood said:
Anyways, the tai chi thing seems very different from your sister's experiment. They were in different buildings sometimes hundreds of feet apart and the apprentice would react when the master did his little DBZ shooty thingy with his hands :P (looked like it :P.) There may be some sort of coincidence but even if it happens 80-90% of the time I'd say there's something to it (just as long as they didn't you know, time the reactions for every minute or some shit like that :P.)
but it still has to do with sensing invisible fields, right? so it does have something to do w/ it, right? also, is there a video on the internet that i can watch that shows that?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

sciencekid

Posted 2006-03-05, 03:26 PM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "i was looking for anything that would..."
The science channel :P. Not sure if it's "fields" per se. I'm wondering if they detected the magnetic field to see if there were any variations. If not then yea ...that would dispense that theory.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-05, 03:43 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "The science channel :P. Not sure if..."
dang, my tv doesn't have regular tv shows on it, it only works for dvd, vhs, and game consoles, so i couldn't watch it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

sciencekid

Posted 2006-03-05, 04:14 PM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "dang, my tv doesn't have regular tv..."
I think Chruser's evil side forced thoughts of suicide on this poor guy and caused him to commit suicide. Seems likely to me.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2006-03-05, 05:56 PM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "i was looking for anything that would..."
sciencekid said:
i was looking for anything that would be like the feeling that she got, i wasn't trying to say that it was a direct similiarity, ok?
anyway, you're avoiding the question, what do you think about the experiment she did, not the feeling she got or didn't get?
There was a question? I was unaware of that. What do I think about the experiment? I think there are too many variables not taken into account to come to any sort of conclusion.

Quote:
that's what my teacher said as well, but i'm asking even beyond that, why is it able to not need a medium, and don't say that it just does, cause that's not what i want to hear. i heard that it's a rip in time/space, but i don't know.

About a 100 or so years ago, most physicists believed that electromagnetic radiation always passed through a medium which permeated the universe called aether. This theory was discarded after Einstein published his Special Theory of Relativity. In another paper, Einstein explained that light could be looked at as individual particles, called photons, rather than waves. Obviously, particles do not require a medium to traverse through. Today, both the wave and particle theories are accepted. To get a better understanding of this, you're going to have to read into quantum mechanics.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-03-05, 11:26 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "There was a question? I was unaware of..."
ah, i see. ok thanks for the info. see? you are more mature for your age(or at least more knowledgeable than you should be for your age)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

sciencekid

Posted 2006-03-06, 01:22 AM in reply to sciencekid's post starting "ah, i see. ok thanks for the info. see?..."
It's all theories anyways. There could be a totally new way of looking at it that we are yet to discover! Science is so dynamic .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-08, 06:19 PM in reply to Chruser's post "Telepathically linked suicide?"
What the HELL?

http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyhete...788643,00.html

Caption reads: "Swede dies in avalanche in the Alps".

The accident took place two days ago, and the casualty is a 19-year old male student who attended the same school as the guy who jumped off the bridge. The school is relatively small, somewhere in the range of a few hundred students, so the odds of something like this happening are not very large. Did I mention yet another student was killed by the Boxing Day tsunami, although that's over a year ago by now? Weird.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2006-03-08, 06:51 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "What the HELL? ..."
Wow, thanks for the link! "Olyckan inträffade i Val d'Isere-området vid 14-tiden på måndagen," made perfect sense to me!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes