Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Post The "Reasons" Thread
Posted 2003-09-28, 01:50 AM
Okay, this is where I'll be giving my reasoning behind my decisions in particular battles. If the reasons are obvious (such as everyone arguing for the same character, or no worthwhile arguments being posted in a character's favor) then no explanations will be given.

Here's my take on the Seymour vs Seifer battle.

Kuja actually had me going for a while. I was tempted to give the win to Seifer for a while, simply because most of what he said was spot on. Magic takes time to cast, regardless of how FFX's magic system works. It's not like being a member of the X-Men. Spells are not instant, they take focus and concentration. It's not just "I point my finger at the dude and he erupts in a ball of flame." Magic doesn't work like that.

On top of that, Kuja had a lot of good arguments concerning low evasion and low accuracy. To which I reply, well done. On the other hand, the "low MP" argument wasn't too convincing. So far, I haven't really taken MP, ammunition or item volume into account. The low evade and hit scores were a good argument, though.

The kick in the pants was this: Kuja`s #1 and his "Seifer is hot-tempered" argument. The fact is, if Seifer were a calm, calculating individual, he would most certainly destroy Seymour. Mr. Omnis has no melee capabilities and is relying upon magic entirely, and that is a huge crutch. If Seymour had been fighting someone like Sephiroth or Magus, he would most certainly see the end of his life flashing before his eyes. But, he was fighting a hothead. And someone like Seymour would know exactly how to use that to his advantage.

Well played everyone. Kuja and Kuja`s, I anticipate some really great arguments from you two when Kuja steps up to bat against Lloyd.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-09-28, 01:02 PM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Well we'll see about Sephiroth and the others later. Seymour could just use hims magic defense, Sephiroth couldn't use Dispel as far as I know, and Dispel the automatic Wall that he puts on himslef in the final battle. Whoa, getting carried away. Anyway, can't wait for his next fight.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-10-02, 01:28 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Go, Seymour!

Eh, what about Kuja VS Seymour?
Life is short.
Let's all grab a BEER~~~!!!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Cerridwen is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenCerridwen is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Cerridwen

Posted 2003-10-02, 02:43 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
We might not see that match at all. It depends upon a number of other factors. Particularly Lloyd.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Raziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRaziel is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Raziel

Posted 2003-10-02, 08:44 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Yeah well, since you allowed pets, Lloyd doesn't have a chance in hell.

Il papa caca nei legno?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
RoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenRoboticSilence is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

RoboticSilence

Posted 2003-10-17, 01:35 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Sonic vs Zero.

This one was tough for me to decide on. It was also apparently pretty hard for the other judges as well. here's my reasoning for picking Sonic over Zero.

Everyone was posting great arguments in defense of both characters. So well that, in fact, any argument that was posted was quickly nullified by an opponent's argument almost immediately. There was only one argument that wasn't defeated, and that was a point made by RoboticSilence.

RS said something to the effect of "the arena is a constntly changing and dangerous environment. As Sonic's game have proved, he's at his best when in that sort of environment." And he was exactly right. I hadn't realized when I was creating the Flash Colums, that it was very similar to what could have been an actual level in either a Sonic game or a MMX game. The difference is that, in those conditions, Sonics mbility isn't impeded too terribly, while Zero would have to slow down a lot in order to survive.

That's why I chose Sonic as the winner. Titus agreed with me, and Uncapped stuck by Zero. This was a great battle folks. I don't intend to take part in many more of the battles from here on out. But, be rest assured, I'll be ready to defend my boy Raz to the death when it's his turn to take on the hedgehog. I wait with bated breath.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2003-10-17, 12:45 PM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Hahaha, it was a fun battle indeed. Just one of the few matches which I know something about both characters.

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2003-10-17, 02:15 PM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Yes, this was probably the best battle to date. You alone almost had me going towards Zero, but there were just too many factors that played a hand in this decision.

If you had to put percentages to how close it really was, I'd say like 50.2% Sonic, to 49.8% Zero. It was a fun one indeed is right!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied

Posted 2003-11-10, 07:12 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Seymour vs. Sigma

Okay, I was alone on this one. Personally, I think Seymour would have taken this fight. There was one particular argument that pretty much clinched it for me, and even though it wasn't explored further, I just couldn't really ingore it.

Kuja`s, at one point, mentioned using Thundaga against Sigma, considering his metallic composition. Senesia's counter-argument was that Sigma has elemental defenses and it wouldn't work. Elemental defenses? Yes. But against magical elements. Not a chance.

There is a world of difference between an electrically-based Mega Man weapon and a Thunder spell. One is actual electricity, the other is mana, manipulated into a facsimile of lightning. Sigma has never encountered an attack of that sort, and while I don't believe it would kill him instantly, I do believe that it would negate any defenses he uses.

Another drawback to Sigma's approach is his huge form. While in this larger form, he has all but a complete lack of mobility. While yes, it has been proven that he can manipulate certain materials, namely metals, The Funhouse is not a futuristic fortress. It's a pretty standard building, made of concrete for the most part. If he were to transform into his larger form, he would A) lose a lot of the offensive and defensive advantages he boasts, and B) be nearly immobile. Kuja`s made this point, and it went completely ignored.

This was a great fight all around, but the Thundaga argument was one that I just couldn't let go of. There were a number of other points that needed to be explored further from both sides, but I'll just leave my two cents where they are. Good fight, everyone!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2003-11-11, 07:46 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
SWEET! IT WORKED! Being on Ocean, allows me to post! YESSSSSS!!!!

Tell'em Raziel. The other judges should really use this thread like you do. I want to hear their easoning behind this ludicrous decision.

Good thing I didn't post when I saw that Sigma won a day ago.... I would've been perm banned for what Ihad to say to Titus and uncapped.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenKuja`s #1 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-11-11, 08:55 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
I honestly don't like that argument about the difference between electricity and "mana-produced lightning." To me, a thunderbolt is a thunderbolt, no matter how it's made. So scratch that argument for me.

What I did see in this battle though, was how Senesia explained Sigma's significant advantage over Seymour. Seymour is mainly a spellcaster, and Sigma is resistant to elements. No matter what else I heard in the battle, nothing else was as convincing as this. So there's why I made my decision.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
uncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenuncapped is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

uncapped

Posted 2003-11-11, 09:46 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
I said it a couple of times. He can not only use that wird weapon that he used in the battle against SinSpawn Gui, but he can use the Lance of Atrophy. The Lance of Atrophy is a huge weapon.
This weapon's mass, combined with Seymour's extrordinary strengh would make all to easy for him to pierce Sigma's armor.

And say that didn't work. He could just start break the Funhouse and have its structure come crashing down on Sigma. This would also work if Sigma had put himself into the Funhouse's structure as Senesia said he could.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-11-12, 07:08 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Uncapped said:
I honestly don't like that argument about the difference between electricity and "mana-produced lightning." To me, a thunderbolt is a thunderbolt, no matter how it's made. So scratch that argument for me.
Well, think what you will. But, there's a reason why a normal bolt of lightning can strike Superman and he won't feel a thing, but should Thor decide to smite Supes with a bolt, he'll go down like a sack of potatoes.

There's a huge difference between natural elements, and artificial mana-produced elements. Hence the reason why in the Final Fantasy games, there is a specific spell (Shell) for defending against magical attacks. If it was just regular lightning, it would be classified as a physical attack, because it's not reacting with the mana energies present in all things. That's also how spells are focused and aimed at a specific target; by homing in on the mana flowing through everything. If a wizard just called down a bolt of regular ligtning, it would strike the highest object or the nearest conductor, and it would most likely miss the desired target. Mana is also why Bolt spells work indoors. You can't summon a bolt of lightning when there's a couple of floors worth of castle above your head.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2003-11-12, 09:52 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Anyway, let's just wait for the next injustice.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Kuja`s #1

Posted 2003-12-03, 12:52 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Okay, X vs. Cloud. I anticipate a lot of grief over this one.

My vote went to Cloud. Why? There were a number of key factors that went nearly unnoticed by the participants, and mainly because Senesia is a particularly shrewd customer.

Here are the points against X

1) X is incapable of switching armor in mid-fight. Kuja mentioned this, I believe. A good portion of the arguments posed in X's favor either ignored this point entirely or masked it behind interesting argument structure. The fact is, a lot of the armor-based advantages X was being given by the participants were conflicting, and seemed much more voluminous than we were lead to believe. The fact that he can't switch armor types in mid battle means that he would only have a few of the armor bonuses he would get from that particular suit, inhibiting his overall versatility.

2) Z-Saber or not, X is not a swordsman. He has an extremely limited number of melee capabilities, and he was fighting against a superhuman swordsman. X's advantages are ranged combat and agility. True, he can air-dash all over the place, but he's not particularly fast otherwise, and I know because I've played a number of the Mega Man X games. Plus, shooting in midair, mid-dash and during extreme evasive maneuvers are not strong points of his.

Cloud also has the ability to fly. Yes, it was stated that Cloud needs a breather after:

BlueCube said:
After he's done with his little rampage (about 20 seconds worth) he gets extremely tired - to the point where he completely stops for about 5 seconds or so, leaning on his sword, out of breath. At that point, he's easy as heck for Sora to get a few combos on. I'd say that X would take him out right there, if Cloud were to pull his little flying move.
No one said he'd be flying for even so much as 20 seconds. Sprinting at full-bore can wear a person out in 20 seconds, but for five? Not really. Cloud has the advantage of flight, and he doesn't need to go all-out "rampaging" for 20 seconds in order to catch X.

3) X has an extremely limited amount of health and special weapons energy. Sh0e pointed out that X's special weapons are not particularly strong against enemies unless they have a specific weakness to that weapon, and he is most certainly correct. Cloud simply has a lot more health to play around with, Sub Tanks or not.

4) Cloud doesn't technically even need to use his most powerful abilities to win. Sh0e convinced me thoroughly that throws do not activate any kind of shields X may have, and that there are a number of ways around X's defenses.

On a side note, the arguments that Cloud "defeated Emerald Weapon and Ruby Weapon" didn't impress me in th slightest. It was a party effort, and Cloud had Materia to rely upon in those battles.

The arguments that convinced me were that X can't change his armor in mid-fight, which drastically cuts down his overall advantages, the fact that Cloud can fly thereby giving him an exponentially greater amount of maneuverability, X has a very limited amount of health and a very low threshold for damage, and the fact that X's seemingly impenetrable defenses have loopholes after all.

Last edited by Raziel; 2003-12-04 at 02:22 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2003-12-03, 01:19 PM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Could have picked X's Ulimate Armor or Falcon Armor in X5. Ulimate Armor is totally legit in X5, and it allows X to use Nova Strike whenever he wants and he'll be invincible during the attack, not to mention it deals out huge damage.

Or Falcon Armor, allowing X to fly, (actually flying not hovering) and invincible when flying, can damage enemies in contact.

But thanks for the compliment, I will try and keep up my activity during my two weeks of Final Exams...

I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2003-12-04, 12:21 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
You see, you're using that rather clever argument method here as well.

Senesia said:
X's Ulimate Armor or Falcon Armor in X5.

Ulimate Armor is totally legit in X5, and it allows X to use Nova Strike whenever he wants and he'll be invincible during the attack, not to mention it deals out huge damage.

Or Falcon Armor, allowing X to fly, (actually flying not hovering) and invincible when flying, can damage enemies in contact.
You're not on your high school debate team by any chance, are you? Because that's a pretty tricky way of masking X's big limiting feature: he can only use one set of armor in the fight. Yes, you can certainly list everything that he's capable of, but in the fight he could only use one of those suits of armor, thereby eliminating half of the advantages you posted.

By phrasing your arguments in an intelligent way, you kinda blindside the people that just skim your posts and give the impression that he's got a lot more advantages at his disposal than he really does. In the actuality of this fight, he would have to pick one suit of armor, and use that suits' advantages to their fullest extent.

Like I said, very clever. You actually almost had me going, mainly because I had forgotten entirely that X can't change armor in mid-battle, and I just so happened to stumble across Kuja mentioning that.

If you're not on the debate team, you should be.

Last edited by Raziel; 2003-12-04 at 02:24 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2003-12-04, 12:51 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
No, but I take Philosophy, heh. We debate a lot about...pretty much everything in life.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Senesia

Posted 2003-12-04, 02:52 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
Just so I'm not making an ass of myself, you're still in high school right? I simply assume so because 90% of the userbase is.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Raziel

Posted 2003-12-04, 11:54 AM in reply to Raziel's post "The "Reasons" Thread"
No, she is in her Freshman year of college I believe now.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Titusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beTitusfied seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Titusfied