Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Forum News, Suggestions and Discussion

View Poll Results: Keep it or leave it
Keep it, 5 letter rule is helpful and not that annoying 12 60.00%
Get rid of it, it's a neusance and not always needed 8 40.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

5 letter rule
Posted 2008-03-25, 08:02 PM
There's alot of threads now (some are: type a relavent word, rate this person's intelligence) that don't require 5 letters and the little "bullshit content" message gets kind of annoying. It's not always needed, and I really don't see a point for it in the first place. Just throwin out my opinion.
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-03-25, 08:02 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post "5 letter rule"
talentedhamster said:
There's alot of threads now (some are: type a relavent word, rate this person's intelligence) that don't require 5 letters and the little "bullshit content" message gets kind of annoying. It's not always needed, and I really don't see a point for it in the first place. Just throwin out my opinion.
/signed
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-03-25, 09:00 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "/signed"
If you really need, just do this at the bottom of a post that is too short:

qwertydvorak

Now you won't have any problems.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2008-03-25, 11:36 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post "5 letter rule"
Just add fuck ww or somethign like MJ does at the end of his <5 char posts and itll be fine .
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2008-03-25, 11:59 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Just add fuck ww or somethign like MJ..."
It's pointless. If someone wants to post something less than 5 characters, they just put bullshit at the bottom of their post. While it can be slightly entertaining sometimes, it's really just pointless.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2008-03-26, 12:00 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Just add fuck ww or somethign like MJ..."
Yup

fuck WW
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2008-03-26, 08:09 AM in reply to talentedhamster's post "5 letter rule"
I detest those types of threads, so I'm all for the 5 letter rule. Hell, make it a proper sentence rule.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-26, 09:34 AM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "I detest those types of threads, so I'm..."
I'd love for it to be a proper sentence rule. Too bad that doing that is so complicated.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-03-26, 10:26 AM in reply to talentedhamster's post "5 letter rule"
talentedhamster said:
agree

fuck ww

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2008-03-26, 10:52 AM in reply to talentedhamster's post "5 letter rule"
I'm still for keeping it.

And my arguments for keeping it:

Lenny said:
Personally, I think that what some people get away with is far too little. If it were up to me, I'd whack it up to 5 words, let alone characters.

Though I admit, it would be nice to turn it off in the WRT.
Almighty God, Lenny said:
I have relish for activity - the more there is, the more one can reply to, the more one can raise their postcount by. I sometimes have trouble getting my four posts simply because there's little to reply to.

And a simple "lol" or "I agree" tacked on to the end of a thread makes no difference.

What am I supposed to reply to that with?

"Oi! Post something with content, you great pillock!"

I might have edited before you replied, but as I said, it does nothing to further the thread and the discussions within. It's just pointless.

I feel that if we actually raise the minimum number of words/characters for a post, we might get some higher quality posts... though there's the disadvantage that the lazy arses will just leave because their usual standard of posting fais to reach the requirements.

I finish with:

If kyeruu can post a thread that goes way beyond the character requirement, and actually contains content that makes a bit of sense (admit it, he's been getting a lot better at it, recently, even though he's not got a touch on the rest of us), then why can't everyone else?
For more views, look at: http://zelaron.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44011

---

Once again, it looks like more people want it gone, so I'll put forward a compromise:

- Turn it off for forums such as The Chatterbox and WRT.
- Keep it on, and maybe even raise it (25 characters? 50?) for all other forums.

Turn it off in CB and WRT because they are, when stripped down, just spam forums, with the former being topical spam.

Raise it for every other forum because they're supposed to be serious, spam-free forums in which conversation is had.

EDIT: On a related note, how hard would it be to impose rules on the News Forum that stop the posting of just a link and the article in quotes? Sure, it's nice being able to read the article on Zelaron rather than an external site, but a couple of discussion points in the original post, or the original posters thoughts would also be nice. If not, then I'd suggest it be a requirement should the News Posters position be filled.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-03-26 at 10:58 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-26, 11:52 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'm still for keeping it. And my..."
Lenny said:
EDIT: On a related note, how hard would it be to impose rules on the News Forum that stop the posting of just a link and the article in quotes? Sure, it's nice being able to read the article on Zelaron rather than an external site, but a couple of discussion points in the original post, or the original posters thoughts would also be nice. If not, then I'd suggest it be a requirement should the News Posters position be filled.
Yeah Adrena, you dirty hippy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2008-03-26, 05:59 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "If you really need, just do this at the..."
JRwakebord said:
If you really need, just do this at the bottom of a post that is too short:

qwertydvorak

Now you won't have any problems.
mmmmm

or you could just do that.
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-03-26, 07:38 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post "5 letter rule"
Sometimes I just want to say "Noe." :]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2008-03-26, 08:21 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Sometimes I just want to say "Noe."..."
exactly!
When my time comes, I want to be burried face down. That way, anyone that doesn't like me, can kiss my ass!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
talentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to betalentedhamster seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-03-26, 11:24 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "exactly!"
Me thinks the girl is on to something

But yea, all I ahve to say is COME ON, get rid of it.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2008-03-27, 03:22 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post starting "Me thinks the girl is on to something..."
yea, the girl ain't as dumb as some of you think she is
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

talentedhamster

Posted 2008-03-27, 03:28 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "yea, the girl ain't as dumb as some of..."
ya

fuck WW
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2008-03-27, 04:00 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "ya fuck WW"
Asamin said:
ya

fuck WW
Sorry to use you as an example, Asamin, but this is why I think the five letter rule should stay in place (or at least, in place in serious forums - all except the Chatterbox or WRT). Without it, people can get away with simply replying with "ya", or "lol", or "wtf". In the WRT, fine. In Chatterbox threads, fine. But on the rest of the boards? No thank you. To repeat my argument from above, a post of <5 characters does nothing to further the discussion in the thread.

I think it might have been missed first time round, so I'll put forward my alternative idea again:

- Five character limit scrapped for Chatterbox and WRT
- Limit raised to 25/50 characters in every other forum
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-03-27, 05:03 PM in reply to talentedhamster's post starting "exactly!"
Who ever said you were dumb?

And yea, Lenny, that would work the best for sure.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2008-03-27, 05:05 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Sorry to use you as an example, Asamin,..."
Lenny said:
Sorry to use you as an example, Asamin, but this is why I think the five letter rule should stay in place (or at least, in place in serious forums - all except the Chatterbox or WRT). Without it, people can get away with simply replying with "ya", or "lol", or "wtf". In the WRT, fine. In Chatterbox threads, fine. But on the rest of the boards? No thank you. To repeat my argument from above, a post of <5 characters does nothing to further the discussion in the thread.

I think it might have been missed first time round, so I'll put forward my alternative idea again:

- Five character limit scrapped for Chatterbox and WRT
- Limit raised to 25/50 characters in every other forum
I agree with the first part... maybe 15 for the other forums. Sometimes you just don't have to say a lot.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav