Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

View Poll Results: Would you like to learn Visual Basic 6?
Ooooh! Yes please! 4 100.00%
Hell no - I'd prefer to swallow razorwire, pull it out of my arse, and floss myself to death. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Visual Basic 6 - How many would be interested in learning?
Posted 2008-07-07, 01:37 PM
I'm part of another forum, and on that forum I've been asked to put together some tutorials teaching members how to program in Visual Basic 6. I'm owndering how many people on Zelaron would also be interested in learning.

I think VB6 is a fantastic language - sure, it's not a 'big boy' langauges like C++ (which, if I remember correctly, MJ posted a tutorial thread about years ago), but it's fun to use, and can do an incredible amount of things for a so-called 'toy language'.

The only possible drawback is that you must be on Windows, or have access to Windows, to use it.

Please indicate your choice in the poll. If I get a good number of "Yes" votes, then I'll post the tutorials on Zelaron, too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-07-07, 02:51 PM in reply to Lenny's post "Visual Basic 6 - How many would be..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
I'm part of another forum, and on that forum I've been asked to put together some tutorials teaching members how to program in Visual Basic 6. I'm owndering how many people on Zelaron would also be interested in learning.

I think VB6 is a fantastic language - sure, it's not a 'big boy' langauges like C++ (which, if I remember correctly, MJ posted a tutorial thread about years ago), but it's fun to use, and can do an incredible amount of things for a so-called 'toy language'.

The only possible drawback is that you must be on Windows, or have access to Windows, to use it.

Please indicate your choice in the poll. If I get a good number of "Yes" votes, then I'll post the tutorials on Zelaron, too.

Hey Lenny, if you do make these tutorials, then can I have permission to use them. I'm currently writing several guides on programming. I'm going to be putting them up shortly. Of course, credits will go entirely to you sense I know nothing of Visual Basic.

Question: Will you be using Pictures?
Question: If you are using pictures, will you be using Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 in those pictures?

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-07-07, 03:10 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Hey Lenny, if you do make these..."
VB6 is only available with Visual Studio 6. Visual Basic for Applications is based on VB6 and is available in more recent office suites. As far as MS is concerned, VB6 and its VBA varient are dead languages, replaced by VB.net which apparently is incompatible with most VB6 programs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-07-07, 03:56 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "VB6 is only available with Visual..."
WetWired said: [Goto]
VB6 is only available with Visual Studio 6. Visual Basic for Applications is based on VB6 and is available in more recent office suites. As far as MS is concerned, VB6 and its VBA varient are dead languages, replaced by VB.net which apparently is incompatible with most VB6 programs.

*shudders* .Net. Eugh. I feel dirty, now.

And no, GLG, no pictures of Visual Studio 2008. VS2008 can burn in hell, as far as I'm concerned.

Other pictures... a few, but not many.

And you can post bits of the tutorials, yes, but not the whole things - I'm going to be putting them on my blog, and I'd quite like traffic, you see. I'd be fine with you putting up the tutorial up to the end of the first program within each one (the second if it's a long tutorial), with a link to my site if people want to read the rest. Maybe even three quarters of each tutorial - you can probably understand why I only want the full things on my blog, and in threads I make, yes?

---

If anyone is wondering, after reading WW's post, why I'm going for VB6, it's because I've been taught VB6, and I don't want to spend the time and go through the hassle of changing the syntax I know.

There are also a huge number of companies that still use VB6 to build programs (at least there are in Britain) - company-wide systems could be built entirely in VB6. It would cost hundreds of thousands of pounds in training, and more in wages and time lost to update the programs to the latest Visual Basic, so they stick with VB6.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2008-07-07, 04:09 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "*shudders* .Net. Eugh. I feel dirty,..."
*shudders* .Net. Eugh. I feel dirty, now.

And no, GLG, no pictures of Visual Studio 2008. VS2008 can burn in hell, as far as I'm concerned.

Other pictures... a few, but not many.

And you can post bits of the tutorials, yes, but not the whole things - I'm going to be putting them on my blog, and I'd quite like traffic, you see. I'd be fine with you putting up the tutorial up to the end of the first program within each one (the second if it's a long tutorial), with a link to my site if people want to read the rest. Maybe even three quarters of each tutorial - you can probably understand why I only want the full things on my blog, and in threads I make, yes?

I understand that completely. I was actually going to link them to the original posts anyways. So no problem!

Question: Did you make a custom blog like me, or are you using Wordpress, Blogger, etc?

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-07-07, 04:13 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I understand that completely. I was..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
Question: Did you make a custom blog like me, or are you using Wordpress, Blogger, etc?

Wordpress, Blogger, and the like can go the same way as Visual Studio 2008, for all I care.

http://lenco.110mb.com/ineffably_so/index.html

I've got the basic design done, and the home page, which is evident. I just need to modify the design for other pages, and maybe sort out code for comments. It's more work than a ready-made blog (in fact, it's just a site that I call a blog - which is good because if I can cut out the usage of the word "blog" completely, but keep it in images, work and school filters won't flag it), but it's much more personal and representative of me.

Last edited by Lenny; 2008-07-07 at 04:15 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-07-07, 04:46 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Wordpress, Blogger, and the like can go..."
Wordpress, Blogger, and the like can go the same way as Visual Studio 2008, for all I care.

Heh, I'm currently improving my design of http://sourcecode.nrgsrpg.com

It may look awful, but I've created many features. For one, I can create a post by going into my admin area. I can disable then enable (X)HTML. I just added the Captcha function for my comments because of an annoying spammer. Then I just added an edit function that is based upon a persons IP. I am planning on making it expire after 30 days. I know how to go about doing it, I just don't want to start doing it yet. Soon enough, soon enough.

If you need me to give you any of the current codes I'm using, I'll help you.
----

By the way, I'll take a look at the VB6 tutorials if you post 'em.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-07-10, 02:58 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Heh, I'm currently improving my design..."
I'll be posting the first one tomorrow, and then they should follow every Friday... well, not next Friday as I'm in Malta, but they'll appear every Friday after next Friday, and be up on the blog on the Saturday.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-07-10, 03:55 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'll be posting the first one tomorrow,..."
What program(s) are needed to be downloaded? Visual Studio 6?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2008-07-10, 04:07 PM in reply to -Spector-'s post starting "What program(s) are needed to be..."
Simple answer - Yes.

I'll be posting a "What you need" thread with the tutorial, which will contain a link to a portable version of VB6 which seems to work perfectly. If you can acquire the full version of Visual Studio 6, though, then by all means do.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2008-07-10, 11:08 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Simple answer - Yes. I'll be..."
I would be extremely interested.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hancock is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHancock is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hancock