Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Question Howto Zelda style RPG?
Posted 2006-06-28, 12:15 PM
OK, How do I make a Zelda Style RPG/Adventure with RPGM2K3?
In other words, how do I create a battle system where you don't have to do the whole battle screen changing, option choosing, almost non-mobile battling?P.S.I am a newbie at this style of game making, so plz be Specific.
Thx for your time! -frosted_snow
Angels encamp around them that fear the LORD!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
frosted_snow is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenfrosted_snow is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

frosted_snow

Posted 2006-06-28, 12:21 PM in reply to frosted_snow's post "Howto Zelda style RPG?"
You mean you just walk around on the map and when you see something you just walk up to it and slash it by pressing a button? So there's not really a "battle"- there's just enemy sprites on the map? I don't know how to do any of that I was just wondering if that's what you mean by "Zelda" style.
Goro goro!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
llamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenllamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

llamallover2021

Posted 2006-06-28, 12:55 PM in reply to llamallover2021's post starting "You mean you just walk around on the..."
Well... I pmed you what I knew... so I'll just copy, paste what I wrote there and people can take it from there...sorry if I'm not too specific, but if you know switches, variables, it wont be too hard to carry it on from there.

I said:
Quote:
1: Make a parrallell proccess on the first map where it has whatever you want the health bar to be... Hearts, chickens, a traditional Meter... I would suggest a megaman type health meter on the side... they look spiffy. Set the position to be wherever you want the bar to be. You will have to scale down the health quite a bit, like 20 ticks in a bar for your char's max health. Now you will have to do tons of conditional branches...or forks? )sorry, I don't have rm2k3 on this computer.) and in each one it should be a variable that checks the hero's health. If health=20 show picture/20health. ect ect for each tick of health.

2: Make a common event in which it shows your character swinging his sword, small child, ect. make it be triggered by a switch named hero attack, and make the evnt end by turning it off. you should set whatever key you want to attack with to trigger the switch of hero attack.

3:Make events wherever you want the enemies to be... Set their movement patterns ect. Make another page which is hero touch(can't remember what rm2k3 calls it) and have it subtract a given amount from your hero's health.(for added spiffiness, display animations that look like numbers such as 2, 4, or however much damadge the attack causes. You could make this a common event though.. and call it whenever

ummm.... really, That's all I know off the top of my head... As it is right now if you did those you can only be attacked, but I'm sure you can figure it out.
Sorry if it didn't help...

-Atnas-
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-06-28, 01:17 PM in reply to frosted_snow's post "Howto Zelda style RPG?"
I don't know much about it, to be honest.

http://www.gamingw.net/search

However, there are a few tutorials to do with Zelda (just search for 'zelda' in Tutorials). Methinks the ones you want are the CBS or ABS tutorials:

http://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/73
http://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/349
http://www.gamingw.net/tutorials/386
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-06-28, 01:20 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I don't know much about it, to be..."
lol...I would do a demo... I would, believe me, but I have to work on my contest game. It's to win a legal rmxp fully paid and all that junk. WOOT!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-06-28, 01:37 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "lol...I would do a demo... I would,..."
reeeeeeeely? neat! where is this contest thing. can you pm me your contest game? not that I would steal it or anything, I just wanna play it.
Goro goro!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
llamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenllamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

llamallover2021

Posted 2006-06-28, 03:56 PM in reply to llamallover2021's post starting "reeeeeeeely? neat! where is this..."
erm, I don't really have the game made yet, as I am still collecting and making recources. Register at RMXP.org. It is due in by the 18th of july...there are some kickass projects being developed, and I am personally using this battle system for my game, and I am including a switching option between the two main characters. No worries though, I will create a thread with a poll to rate it when it is done, and provide a link to it.

Last edited by Atnas; 2006-06-28 at 04:29 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-06-28, 04:12 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "erm, I don't really have the game made..."
umm......do you mean july?
Goro goro!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

llamallover2021

Posted 2006-06-28, 04:29 PM in reply to llamallover2021's post starting "umm......do you mean july?"
heh...yes, yes I do... Sorry, me brain doesn't work sometimes... I always get june and july mixed up. Lemme edit that.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas