Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > RPGMaker

Question RPGM XP Postality Knights Edition ENHANCED
Posted 2006-08-15, 03:28 PM
I have been using the RPG Maker XP Postality Knights Edition ENHANCED and I think that it is visually 10x better than XP and all the 2000's versions of RPG Maker. Does anyone else use the Postality Knights Edition because:

1. The test play has crashed a few times when doing something simple such as reading a message in game. When this happens, I just have to rephrase the sentence and change the words. How can I avoid this?

2. How can I combind tilesets? I want 1 tile from the "Plains" tileset and another from the "Ruins" tileset. How can I combind both to make one big tileset?

3. How do I make timed events such as: Every few in game hours, it turns to night. Or: You have a limited amount of time to complete a quest.

4. Can I make a quest log to look over quests I have already recieved?

5. Where can I get Sprites that look like the ones Postality Knights Edition already has. The same thing goes for battle graphics.

6. There are horizontal walls, but where can I find vertical walls (skinny)

7. How do I disable: Holding down CTRL while walking in game lets you walk on or over anything?

Sorry for all the questions >.<
Please get back, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
VonCreme is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenVonCreme is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

VonCreme

Posted 2006-08-15, 07:55 PM in reply to VonCreme's post "RPGM XP Postality Knights Edition..."
VonCreme said:
I have been using the RPG Maker XP Postality Knights Edition ENHANCED and I think that it is visually 10x better than XP and all the 2000's versions of RPG Maker. Does anyone else use the Postality Knights Edition because:

1. The test play has crashed a few times when doing something simple such as reading a message in game. When this happens, I just have to rephrase the sentence and change the words. How can I avoid this?

2. How can I combind tilesets? I want 1 tile from the "Plains" tileset and another from the "Ruins" tileset. How can I combind both to make one big tileset?

3. How do I make timed events such as: Every few in game hours, it turns to night. Or: You have a limited amount of time to complete a quest.

4. Can I make a quest log to look over quests I have already recieved?

5. Where can I get Sprites that look like the ones Postality Knights Edition already has. The same thing goes for battle graphics.

6. There are horizontal walls, but where can I find vertical walls (skinny)

7. How do I disable: Holding down CTRL while walking in game lets you walk on or over anything?

Sorry for all the questions >.<
Please get back, I would greatly appreciate it.
1. No clue

2. When you first install RPG Maker XP Postality Knights Edition ENHANCED there should be a folder called resourcen in there you can find a tileset of all the exteriors fused and even 1 for a world map.

3.I think this has something to do with a common event and timer operation.

4. You need a script for this Sorry but i don't no how to do scripts

5. go here they have tons http://www.gamingw.net/resource/5/?l=28

6.try searching google or the site above

7.script or common event i think

well thats all i can help u with maybe someone else has more answers but ya
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
phsyco025 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenphsyco025 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

phsyco025

Posted 2006-08-20, 12:13 PM in reply to phsyco025's post starting "1. No clue 2. When you first install..."
1. Can be fixed by checking over your events and scripts and whatnot. It's caused by conflicting event commands or lines of the script. Try using a different event method in the case of events or check for an invalid syntax use in case of a script error.

2. Add the dimensions of the two tilesets, make a new image in gimp, photoshop, GraphicsGale, or whatever image program you are using for image editting. The dimensions of the new image should be enough to fit the two tilesets. Copy one, paste it into the new image, copy the other and paste that into the image. Make sure they are not overlapping.

3. ... I'm not sure how exactly to do that. I'm sure there is an event command out there for timed events. ALTHOUGH, there is a script I know of to do that.

4. Scripts have been made, and if you are not illiterate and have a bad keyboard, I believe anyone could script said script.

5. What? You want sprites for the sprites they provide? Or do you mean templates in the same 4x4 dimensions? Learn to sprite, it's easy. Pixel art does not require artistic talent, but common sense and patience.

6. Make one? That's how they got on google in the first place.

7. Holding down control to pass through unpassable tiles is only in the testplay. If you make an encrypted project, as I suggest for all COMPLETED games, as noone can access the files, steal your sprites, scripts whatnot. What encrypting a file does is makes a single .exe file and does what using a RUBY compiler does, it condenses all of your expansive events into mere bytes of text. =D that's why I'm learning how to make games straight into a ruby compiler, not using RMXP, as the event's limit what you can do, and adding additional script can cause messy errors within the existing script.

I'm hoping that helps you, but if you can't find something, my best advice is to make it yourself.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-08-21, 02:53 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting "1. Can be fixed by checking over your..."
man, using a script for logs?

you all are getting WAY too lazy and not putting much effort into your games. And, despite the variety RMXP gives you with scripting, I don't use it. I hate the resolution. I loved the good ol 320x240 resolution and the tiny charsets.

and yeh, rmxp might make it easier for noobs to build games, but RM2K3 us just so much fun to use. Creating systems and engines and all that is challenging but fun. so yeah. screw rmxp.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of massWed-G is an uncelestial body of mass

Wed-G

Posted 2006-08-22, 08:25 AM in reply to Wed-G's post starting "man, using a script for logs? you..."
yo something happened to my rpg maker xp postality knights. Like i dont know where it went. Can someone send me the site to get it back?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skooter is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenSkooter is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Skooter

Posted 2006-08-25, 08:04 AM in reply to Skooter's post starting "yo something happened to my rpg maker..."
Quote:
man, using a script for logs?

you all are getting WAY too lazy and not putting much effort into your games. And, despite the variety RMXP gives you with scripting, I don't use it. I hate the resolution. I loved the good ol 320x240 resolution and the tiny charsets.

and yeh, rmxp might make it easier for noobs to build games, but RM2K3 us just so much fun to use. Creating systems and engines and all that is challenging but fun. so yeah. screw rmxp.
Ughh. Don't go there. ALL rpgmakers are for noobs. Don't kid yourself, and say that using a PROGRAM to make games is not nooblike. RMXP either gives you the option of

a) Being oblivious to scripts and making a game with assisted help of a program. Is still a noob.

b) Being a NOOB and using scripts made by OTHER people to get what you want done and relying on them entirely.

c) Making your own scripts, and experiencing what UNNOOBLIKE game development is like. It's still a case of noobdom, though.

Now... How about rm2k3? do you even WANT me to say what I'm gonna say?

I truly prefer RM2k3 over RMXP, believe me, I do. It has a better feel to it. For RPG's. If you want to make a side-scroller... Screw it. It's not made that way. The fact it's a program that produces programs is enough to be said. In RMXP, you have a program that proccesses scripts to make a program. People don't realize that they have one of the best OO Language to work with. Sure, using premade and limited commands is fun at first, but pretty soon it gets boring and you feel as if your game could need a bit more punch. So. Learn to script. The log afore mentioned is a simple task a begginer to ruby could easily write. Don't forget the purpose of the Rpg makers, that is to teach you the basics of game making, creating basic games. RM2k3 was perfect for that cause. RMXP takes you to the second level.

Saying scripting is a noobs way out? Saying writing in a programming langauge is more noobish than pushing buttons? You just insulted Capcom, Nintendo, Square, Namco, and all of those great companies which code their games from scratch, are noobs?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Atnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeAtnas shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Atnas

Posted 2006-08-25, 09:06 AM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Ughh. Don't go there. ALL rpgmakers are..."
I've always wanted to learn how to program, and I suppose that my Computing A-Level lessons will help with that - but only Visual Basic. Recently, however, I got into this program called RPGMaker XP that allows you to script in a language called Ruby. I've seen this language elsewhere, and have always wondered what it's like to use. Do you have any tutorials, or good sites that teach you, lying about? Thanks,

Noobie in England
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-08-25, 03:59 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I've always wanted to learn how to..."
I'm using this one. It's an exact copy of a book written as a tutorial to Ruby. Most of the readers experience comes from actaully scripting in said program, or looking over the comments left by scriptors in their scripts. I knew most of the syntax I know now before even hearing about this guide.
Using Ruby is a real treat. If you want to display a graphic, it's as simple as graphic.new and specifying the directory and filename. If you think of your files in minella, your in luck. Truly OO, moreso than it's distant namesake, Perl.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-08-26, 12:00 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "I'm using this one...."
Nice one, thanks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-08-28, 08:57 AM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Nice one, thanks. :)"
=P It's so easy to use, I forget I'm scripting. I'd suggest, if your going to start writing scripts, making comment lines whenever and wherever you do something. Like...

code said:
#Now to read the .ini file, hello.ini
module INI
def self.read(filename, variable)
File.open(filename).each{ |row|
if row =~ Regexp.new("^" + variable + "=.*$")
return row.scan(Regexp.new("^" + variable + "=(.*)$"))[0]
end
}
end
end

for i in 0..5
puts INI.read("hello/Hello.ini","hello" + i.to_s)
end
No, of course I didn't just write that. I was just using a snippet from another script and putting the pound sign to signify a comment which is unreadable to the program, but is readable to you. This .ini shit is higher than what I can do anyway.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-08-28, 01:25 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "=P It's so easy to use, I forget I'm..."
Pound sign? The pound sign is "£". I think you mean the hash symbol -- #
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-08-28, 04:53 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "Pound sign? The pound sign is "£". I..."
HA! Oh Lenny, you crack me up. Unless of course, you're serious...Hmmmm....Suspisious. I'm watching you Lenny. *Plants a tracking device in Lenny's left butt cheek*
Goro goro!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
llamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenllamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

llamallover2021

Posted 2006-08-28, 06:59 PM in reply to llamallover2021's post starting "HA! Oh Lenny, you crack me up. Unless..."
Oh... Heh. I umm... Thought that was called the pound sign? Like on a telerphoney? Hmmm. I live quite the sheltered life.
>.>
<.<
<>.<>
Seriously. I did. Either I don't know shit or shit don't know me... I apoligize, O mighty angered Brit.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-08-29, 12:16 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "Oh... Heh. I umm... Thought that was..."
On a telephone it's still called the "hash" key.

And I'm not angered. Too full of sugar to be angered.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-08-29, 12:32 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "On a telephone it's still called the..."
lol, thats true lenny. The pound key is this *, well at least on a telemaphone.

Fuck programming languages, that shit takes to much effort, just play WoW instead....lol j/k.

Play WoW....
"why I've gotta be one of the cool kids just to walk by/
- without being tripped, thrown down on the ground and kicked/
Insulting me for no reason, I was treated like shit/
The teachers let it happen/
I've even seen some of them teachers laughing/
That's why I had a smile on my face when I started blastin/" - Ill Bill - The Anatomy of a School Shooting
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Original Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenOriginal Sin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Original Sin

Posted 2006-08-29, 12:40 PM in reply to Original Sin's post starting "lol, thats true lenny. The pound key is..."
You know what? We're all wrong, in a way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_sign
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-08-29, 02:30 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "You know what? We're all wrong, in a..."
(Excellent...Lenny hasn't noticed the implant...)
Goro goro!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
llamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenllamallover2021 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

llamallover2021

Posted 2006-08-29, 03:36 PM in reply to llamallover2021's post starting "(Excellent...Lenny hasn't noticed the..."
(Excellent...Llama hasn't noticed the implant...)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas

Posted 2006-08-29, 03:41 PM in reply to Atnas's post starting "(Excellent...Llama hasn't noticed the..."
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHH! I've been decieved! That's it Atnas! Time to DIE!!! TO WAR!!! But I must warn you...I've got MAD SKILLS!
Goro goro!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

llamallover2021

Posted 2006-08-29, 04:17 PM in reply to llamallover2021's post starting "AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH..."
... Okay? But... Unfortunately, the god of eating those off-topic will finish you before I get a chance...

MUHAHAHAHA
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Atnas