Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Oblivion
Posted 2006-03-20, 07:45 AM
Okay, so I want everybody to post up the "builds" you've tried and the results.

Like, if you build a completely melee character, how does that work out for ya? Is the pure sneaky-guy-thief character viable? What types of mage pair well with blah blah blah blah etc.
D3V said:
This message is hidden because D3V is on your ignore list.
What is it they say about silence being golden?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-03-20, 09:39 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Oblivion"
Do you have the game yet? I've seen some reviews starting to pop up during the past few hours.
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2006-03-20, 09:54 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Do you have the game yet? I've seen..."
Nah, I'm just getting a head start on putting the thread up.

It's not for sale 'till tomorrow.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Medieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzMedieval Bob enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-03-20, 05:50 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post starting "Nah, I'm just getting a head start on..."
Ima look up this game x_X.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-20, 10:57 PM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Ima look up this game x_X."
torrentspy here i come...wish it had multiplayer
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2006-03-20, 11:09 PM in reply to Hades-Knight's post starting "torrentspy here i come...wish it had..."
Wait ...didn't you hear? Pirating software makes many artists/programmers/actors starve. STOP!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-24, 03:09 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Wait ...didn't you hear? Pirating..."
This game has sereously been eating up my free time and I predict it will do so for at least a couple of weeks more. awesome game.

So far I've made a Breton pure mage with the mage birthsign as my first character. I joined the mages guild and am now at the rank of warlock in the arcane university. Mages really pwn this time, alot more than in morrowind. So far I am level 13 and have about 90 int and 90 willpower. The fast mana regen caused by high willpower and sticking with spells that go with your level means I rarely run out of mana. If I do I just take a restore magicka potion, which are very easy to get in oblivion either by making them with alchemy or buying them in shops.

Second and third char I made just to try out the combat and sneaking part.

redgaurd, warrior birthsign
favored combat
agility + endurance
block, blade, heavy armor, armorer, athletics, marksman, restoration.
I really like the melee combat this time, with blocking and timing counter attacks. I took restoration so I can heal myself or fortify attributes when I run out of potions. I dont have alot of mana but that doesnt matter since restoration is the only spells I have and most dont take alot of casting.

Dark elf, the thief birthsign
favored stealth
agility + speed
marksman, blade, sneak, security, athletics, illusion, light armor.
I never really liked the sneaky characters but I do enjoy this one. basic stealth skills + illusion because that really adds to the stealth part, with spells like chameleon, invisibility etc.

Only played the second and third for a couple of hours, but I beat the arena with the warrior and started in the fighters guild. And with the dark elf I just got accepted into the dark brotherhood.

So far I havent touched the main quest yet, but I'll probably start that with my mage soon.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2006-03-24, 04:46 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Oblivion"
Build-wise, I'm currently playing a Wood Elf assassin (Thief birth sign), about 6 hours into the game at level 4. The bow is by far my most efficient weapon as of now (mostly because sneak attacks do triple damage, which include shooting targets from any direction at a long range with a missile weapon).

Melee combat is possible, but not as efficient as I have relatively low HP. I'll update later when I've progressed farther into the game.

By the way, does anyone have any screenshots of your character(s) yet?
"Stephen Wolfram is the creator of Mathematica and is widely regarded as the most important innovator in scientific and technical computing today." - Stephen Wolfram
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed itChruser shouldn't have fed it

Chruser

Posted 2006-03-24, 05:21 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Oblivion"
I have a 3500-3800+ Athlon 64 (It's overclocked) and 1 gig of ram but a geforce 3 ti500 video card. Do you think I can run this? Like at 1024 with low settings?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-03-24, 07:34 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "I have a 3500-3800+ Athlon 64 (It's..."
I don't think the GF3 chipset is supported.
I'd post my char, but I can't figure out how to SS. There's no key in the controls, and print screen doesn't work.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-03-24, 08:03 AM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Build-wise, I'm currently playing a..."
Chruser said:
Build-wise, I'm currently playing a Wood Elf assassin (Thief birth sign), about 6 hours into the game at level 4. The bow is by far my most efficient weapon as of now (mostly because sneak attacks do triple damage, which include shooting targets from any direction at a long range with a missile weapon).

Melee combat is possible, but not as efficient as I have relatively low HP. I'll update later when I've progressed farther into the game.

By the way, does anyone have any screenshots of your character(s) yet?
That's exactly my character.
D3V said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Medieval Bob

Posted 2006-03-24, 01:44 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I don't think the GF3 chipset is..."
WetWired, get Fraps, it should work for screenshots and videos.

As for the older GF chipset, my friend installed Oblivion on a computer with a GeForce 4, and most of the graphics are completely white, excluding the menus, some characters and a few objects. He updated his drivers with no success. Speaking of which, a friend of told me this out of the blue, although he has not backed his sources:

zajako: I wanted to play [Oblivion] too :/
zajako: I will never pay for another gforce card again
zajako: it works on all old ATI cards
zajako: but gforce paid them not to support older cards
[...]
zajako: i heard about it from a few other games out that they did it
zajako: like the matrix game
zajako: All grafix are white
zajako: cept for video and menus

---

Again, there's no backing to any of the things above, and I find it much likely that the older GF cards just have some incompability with parts of the game. Either way, couldn't there possibly be any rouge drivers to take care of this problem?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Evil Grin
Posted 2006-03-24, 01:46 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "I don't think the GF3 chipset is..."
WetWired said:
I don't think the GF3 chipset is supported.
I'd post my char, but I can't figure out how to SS. There's no key in the controls, and print screen doesn't work.
It finally happened. My video card is too old to support games. And there is no way in hell I can afford a new video card for $200+. Fuck.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-03-24, 01:55 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "It finally happened. My video card is..."
Get a job, hippy.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Willkillforfood

Posted 2006-03-24, 03:32 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Oblivion"
Wow, I finally actually got the game INSTALLED.

My DVD drive seems to always hate DVDs for some reason. It's not that old either. Ah, well. If anyone's getting any "cyclic redundancy errors" I'll try to walk you through it, as it's a real pain to explain all hear. I went old school and blew into my DVD driver, and surprisingly this worked (but I had to copy all the contents of the DVD onto my computer). So far, no problems with it, and I'm not going to tweak the game until it causes any problems for me. My PC is fairly tweaked as it is, anwyays.

Ok, back to the point. I'm going Nightblade.

Just a word of warning: Nvidia FX users have been experiencing major problems. I don't recommend getting the game unless your graphics card is really, really new. Mine is a X850 XT.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2006-03-24, 04:31 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post starting "Wow, I finally actually got the game..."
What are some recommended specs for good gameplay by you guys? I might pick up this game. Or just play Zero Hour online more.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2006-03-24, 06:41 PM in reply to Chruser's post starting "Build-wise, I'm currently playing a..."
This is Zhenya, a mage that uses blades and light armor instead of distruction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oblivzhenyaportrait.jpg (16.8 KB, 12 views)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2006-03-24, 07:20 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Oblivion"
The official minimum system requirements include a 2 GHz cpu, 512 MB RAM and a 128 MB graphics' accelerator. Those just happens to be the exact specs of my Pavilion laptop, which runs the game acceptably on low settings, with maximum draw distance and actor distance (to see scenery and characters far away). I can't really enjoy the great graphics with those settings, which is a shame. Maxing all settings gives me about 1-2 FPS, and I can't even enable antialiasing and HDR lighting.

Really though, if you have a 3 GHz computer, a gig of ram and a fairly new graphics' card, you should do great.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chruser

Posted 2006-03-25, 12:11 AM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Oblivion"
This game can TOTALLy run on my laptop.

Off to buy it!

At 1:00 AM!

1.7 ghz Pentium M
16 MB Integrated ownage godly graphics card
512 godly 2 sticks of ram.
3.81 gb free on HD.

OOOOOH YEAH!

Looks interesting though. If i ever get another computer I'll be sure to give it a try >_<
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2006-03-25, 05:33 PM in reply to Medieval Bob's post "Oblivion"
The only bad thing about the LOD (far away distance thing) is the whole "green blob effect" on mountains (no trees). People are trying to figure out how to tweak the .ini file in order to fill it all up with trees (if it's even possible that is). It doesn't really bother me that much, and when I mess around with the .ini file I lag a lot, so oh well. I'm sure if the LOD thing looked any better the game would lag like hell.

I just went into a forest today..... it looks REAL I tell you!

I don't know how anyone could actually use the auto-travel feature, really.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan