Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Posted 2006-11-27, 03:04 AM in reply to hotdog's post starting "Big words coming from someone who can't..."
hotdog said:
Big words coming from someone who can't even control his own thoughts.
Here's a suggestion: think before you post. Can anyone consciously control all of their thoughts? No. Moron.

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2006-11-27 at 03:13 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-11-27, 03:26 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Here's a suggestion: think before you..."
mjordan2nd said:
Here's a suggestion: think before you post. Can anyone consciously control all of their thoughts? No. Moron.
I beg to differ. Yoda controls his thoughts and everyone else in the universe.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2006-11-27, 03:27 AM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "I beg to differ. Yoda controls his..."
timmay1113 said:
I beg to differ. Yoda controls his thoughts and everyone else in the universe.
YODA doesn't count, ffs!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-11-27, 07:51 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Here's a suggestion: think before you..."
mjordan2nd said:
Hmm, what do you mean? I don't have trouble controlling my thinking.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-11-27, 08:00 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "Hmm, what do you mean? I don't have..."
GravitonSurge said:
Hmm, what do you mean? I don't have trouble controlling my thinking.
Even the most focused, logical, rational person in the world is subject to human emotion engendered by causes beyond their control, and therefore is also subject to a lack of complete control over their thoughts.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-11-27, 08:13 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Even the most focused, logical,..."
I believe what you're talking about is more tied into biological instinct than emotion. Either way, people need emotion to be civil and moral. It's just part of us. I think that emotion is tied into our thinking, not necessarily something that impedes it.

People have already tried the "all reasoning no emotions" schtick during the Age of Reasoning. It didn't work too well... and had massive backlashes of rampant emotion without reason such as the French Revolution. Compare the literature of 1750 to 1850 for example, and you will see a stark contrast.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2006-11-27, 10:01 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "I believe what you're talking about is..."
I am in no way trying to say that human beings should be emotionless, nor do I think that emotions are the only thing that drive your thoughts other than your consciousness. I do, however, think that emotions impede rational thought.

For example, an outburst of anger towards a relatively innocuous event, which is common, can hardly be described as a conscious thought. It is certainly a thought, but not one you make consciously, it is one you make compulsively. Reactions following this outburst are generally also somewhat compulsive.

There are, of course, plenty of other factors which drive what we think about. As you've already mentioned, biological impulses certainly drive our thoughts. For instance, lets say your stomach is rumbling from hunger. It is safe to say that at this point your thoughts will also be lingering on the idea of getting something to eat. Again, it is tough to say whether these are thoughts that are controlled or compulsive.

The desire for sexual gratification is also fairly compulsive. Though yes, sexual urges can be controlled, I find that thoughts often dwell on this subject when it would be beneficial that they did not, and I would rather they did not.

In adolescents, it is a well known fact that harmones play a role in their behavior. They are more irascible and more susceptible to a wide range of emotions than normal. Again, in my definition, this is not controlled.

Hallucination, though an extreme form of lack of control of thought, is certainly a good example here. Hallucinations can seize control of your thoughts altogether, and more or less anyone is susceptible to them!

Point is, at any given time, their is more than just your consciousness that is governing your thoughts.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-11-27, 10:11 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "I am in no way trying to say that human..."
I think I've found your whole quota of typo's for the year: "harmones". !

-----

Methinks that hotdog was trying to imply that you've been sleeping around - ie allowing your"perverted thoughts" to get the better of you and drive you to bed someone... or wall them, couch them, bonnet them, whatever floats your boat.

He takes you to be much older than you are.

---

And on the subject of teenage hormones:

Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-11-27, 05:54 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I think I've found your whole quota of..."
Lenny said:
I think I've found your whole quota of typo's for the year: "harmones". !
Heh. I can't believe I did that. In my defense, it was late at night.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2006-11-27, 08:04 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Heh. I can't believe I did that. In my..."
i post once or twice and i never post again

i gues i just got bored of it oh and
were did you get that pic? i'l show it to my cousin and make him scream
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kyeruu

Posted 2006-11-28, 10:02 AM in reply to kyeruu's post starting "i post once or twice and i never post..."
You need to learn to reply to the people who posted the relevant post.

Right click the picture, select properties, and copy the URL.

Sor'ed,
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2006-11-28, 02:08 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "You need to learn to reply to the..."
alright thanks
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
kyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenkyeruu is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

kyeruu

Posted 2006-12-04, 12:10 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Heh. I can't believe I did that. In my..."
I also want to get across to you Jesus that even the most trustworthy person is not to be trusted. I don't care if they are related to you or not because as long as humans can't destroy their emotions they can't even trust themselves.
skurai said: [Goto]
big Foot -
A Big Monkey. So?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
hotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenhotdog is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

hotdog

Posted 2006-12-04, 05:41 AM in reply to hotdog's post starting "I also want to get across to you Jesus..."
perverts vs. godesses
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2006-12-04, 10:26 AM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post starting "perverts vs. godesses"
It should really be:

Women and Men: Godesses v. Perverts.

T'other way round implies that women are perverts and that men are godesses. It jus doesn't look right in the minds eye.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Lenny

Posted 2006-12-04, 01:42 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "It should really be: Women and Men:..."
and it will never look that way....unless your gay
but that doesn't make sense now does it?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
ailis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenailis is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

ailis