Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Help on Random Shutdowns!
Posted 2005-02-21, 08:29 PM
Well, for all of you who have random shutdowns, this list is taken
http://www.computerproblems.org/foru...read.php?t=599

But, since im here to help you save time, i'll just copy/paste it for you!

--
Have you been experiencing random crashes in Windows XP or Windows 2000, and you can't find any reason for them? Windows XP and Windows 2000 are both supposed to be (and typically are) much more stable than Windows 9x/Me, but there are still things that can bring down the entire system in a heartbeat, displaying the BSD (Blue Screen of Death) or simply restarting. Go over this checklist and see if any of these apply to you.

Power Supply -a bad (or insufficient) power supply is the most common cause for random crashes, especially if you have a lot of cards, drives, or fans, or have a dual-processor motherboard. A 350W or 400W power supply is recommended if you're experiencing this problem.

A mix of FAT32 and NTFS drives - If you have more than one hard disk, and there are different file systems on each one, try converting them all to NTFS.

Audio Card Drivers - try removing your sound card, or at least uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers.

USB Hub - if you have a USB hub, try eliminating it and see if that solves the problem (especially if you have a USB-based Palm cradle and your system crashes every time you hotsync).

Overheating - a computer will crash if the processor overheats. Make sure the CPU fan/fans are working, and that the processor temperature (read in the BIOS screen) is within normal limits. Make sure your computer case has adequate ventilation.

Bad memory - a bad memory module can cause this problem. Try removing one of the modules to see if that solves the problem; rotate through all modules until you've found the culprit. Note that some computers require memory to be installed in pairs, so, for example, if you have four modules, you'll have to remove two (no more, no fewer) for this test.

Note: these things aren't necessarily problems in and of themselves, so if you're not experiencing random crashes, don't waste your time solving problems that aren't there.
--
Also, if this was stickied it would help the other members!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2005-02-21, 09:18 PM in reply to slaynish's post "Help on Random Shutdowns!"
that or you have been trojaned
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hades-Knight is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hades-Knight

Posted 2005-02-22, 11:16 AM in reply to Hades-Knight's post starting "that or you have been trojaned"
There is no BSoD on XP

I dont get why everyone has problems with XP. It has never been unstable for me =/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy

Posted 2005-02-22, 11:41 AM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "There is no BSoD on XP :( I dont get..."
But there is; I saw it when my wifi card died.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2005-02-22, 12:09 PM in reply to pr0xy's post starting "There is no BSoD on XP :( I dont get..."
pr0xy said:
There is no BSoD on XP

I dont get why everyone has problems with XP. It has never been unstable for me =/
There is, but it resets automatically by default instead of bluescreening. Turn this off, and experience the wonderful world of IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and other stop errors:

I've only had IRQL errors as a major problem when my RAM started to die off. IRQL problems are usually hardware issues, from what I've seen at least...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube

Posted 2005-02-22, 12:33 PM in reply to BlueCube's post starting "There is, but it resets automatically..."
Hmm... Never seen one before. (BSoD in XP that is)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
pr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenpr0xy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

pr0xy