Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > News and Events

Thumbs up Google Developing Self Driving Cars
Posted 2010-10-11, 02:59 PM
Google Developing Self-Driving Cars

http://news.discovery.com/tech/googl...ving-cars.html

Automated vehicles that can be programmed with different personalities have logged more than 140,000 miles.

* Driverless cars equipped with a variety of sensors, a GPS navigation system and a map navigate roads.
* Car can be programmed for different driving personalities, from cautious to assertive.
* Researchers believe that automated cars could save lives by reducing driver error.

Quote:
An electronic brain devised by US Internet titan Google has driven cars nearly a quarter of a million kilometres in California, on a quest for the next great revolution in the auto industry.

News of the experiment emerged from Google this weekend, revealing what the New York Times describes as an attempt to use artifical intelligence to revolutionize the automobile.

But the software, linked to GPS satellite navigation technology, was nearly fooled by a humble cyclist who jumped a red light.

A humanoid, in the form of a Google engineer, slammed on the button to disconnect the system, and an accident was averted.

This was one of only two interventions by the human driver in 140,000 miles (225,300 kilometres) of tests.

"One of the big problems we?re working on today is car safety and efficiency. Our goal is to help prevent traffic accidents, free up people?s time and reduce carbon emissions by fundamentally changing car use," Sebastian Thrun, a Google engineer said on a company blog posting.

"So we have developed technology for cars that can drive themselves. Our automated cars, manned by trained operators, just drove from our Mountain View campus to our Santa Monica office and on to Hollywood Boulevard. They?ve driven down Lombard Street, crossed the Golden Gate bridge, navigated the Pacific Coast Highway, and even made it all the way around Lake Tahoe," he added.

"All in all, our self-driving cars have logged over 140,000 miles (225,302 km). We think this is a first in robotics research."

The engineer explained that in the experimental enterprise "automated cars use video cameras, radar sensors and a laser range finder to 'see' other traffic, as well as detailed maps (which we collect using manually driven vehicles) to navigate the road ahead."

But the vehicles are not unmanned for safety reasons; safety drivers are behind the wheel in case they are needed, Thrun's posting said.

According to The New York Times, the Google research program is using artificial intelligence to revolutionize the automobile, making a step beyond its work on Internet search engines.

During a half-hour drive beginning on Google?s campus south of San Francisco last week, a Toyota Prius equipped with a variety of sensors and following a route programmed into the GPS navigation system accelerated in the entrance lane and merged into fast-moving traffic on Highway 101, a freeway that goes through Silicon Valley, the report said.

It left the freeway several exits later.

The car drove at the speed limit, which it knew because the limit for every road is included in its database, the paper said.

The device on top of the car produced a detailed map of the environment.

The car then drove in city traffic, stopping for lights and stop signs, as well as making announcements like "approaching a crosswalk" or "turn ahead" in a pleasant female voice, The Times said.

The car can be programmed for different driving personalities -- from cautious mode, in which it is more likely to yield to another car, to aggressive, in which it is more likely to go first, according to the report.

Christopher Urmson, a Carnegie Mellon University robotics scientist, was behind the wheel but not using it.

To regain control of the car he has to do one of three things: hit a red button near his right hand, touch the brake or turn the steering wheel, the paper said. He did so twice, once when a cyclist ran a red light and again when a car in front stopped and began to back into a parking space.

The car was the brainchild of Thrun, director of the Stanford Artificial Intelligence Laboratory and a Google engineer, who led a team in designing the Stanley robot car, winning a two-million-dollar Pentagon prize.

But autonomous vehicles poses thorny legal issues, The Times said. Under current law, a human must be in control of a car at all times.

"The technology is ahead of the law in many areas," Bernard Lu, senior staff counsel for the California Department of Motor Vehicles, told the paper.

"If you look at the vehicle code, there are dozens of laws pertaining to the driver of a vehicle, and they all presume to have a human being operating the vehicle."

But Thrun believes the automated car can save lives by reducing the number of accidents caused by human error.

"According to the World Health Organization, more than 1.2 million lives are lost every year in road traffic accidents," he wrote. "We believe our technology has the potential to cut that number, perhaps by as much as half."
The technology, even though it may still be far off, is going to put to shame the rest of those companies out there such as BMW and other car corporations that are trying to develop their own set of automation. Is this a good thing or not? Peolpe seem to be divided on this being a good thing or not, but I think in time it will be great. I mean, Skynet, er, Google, is going to take over the world might as well bend over willingly and accept it amirite?

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-10-12, 06:29 AM in reply to D3V's post "Google Developing Self Driving Cars"
John Connor told us this day would happen. o_o

I'm a little indifferent on the matter. I mean sure it has different driving personalities but if a cyclist was able to throw the system a little out of whack, who's to say that the cars' personalities wouldn't conflict with one another? Plus the arguments of (machines lacking a human sense of morality, reasoning, and etc.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chrystalia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzChrystalia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Chrystalia

Posted 2010-10-12, 08:59 AM in reply to Chrystalia's post starting "John Connor told us this day would..."
The thing is, they're developing it to adapt and adjust to real-time everchanging events, such as weather, "cyclists", cars that aren't equipped with the software. If you look at the picture those cars are driving through that road without any assistance, and the "track" isn't mapped out, it's real time adjusted with AI.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-10-12, 01:45 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "The thing is, they're developing it to..."
How long before the software is publicized do you think?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Chrystalia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzChrystalia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Chrystalia

Posted 2010-10-12, 02:08 PM in reply to Chrystalia's post starting "How long before the software is..."
BORKED

BORKED

Now that's a good question, I don't work for Google and can't find any information so i'll guestimate 5-10 years.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-10-12, 02:14 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "70fBzaaiLwU CkTpW6SFyxs Now..."
Assuming no one jumps the nuclear gun from 2012 paranoia before then.

Hey wait, maybe that's what those UFOs are trying to prevent.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chrystalia

Posted 2010-10-12, 03:46 PM in reply to Chrystalia's post starting "Assuming no one jumps the nuclear gun..."
Chrystalia said: [Goto]
Hey wait, maybe that's what those UFOs are trying to prevent.
That'd be like if AIDS developed nukes and we stopped it from using them.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Hayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenHayduke is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Hayduke

Posted 2010-10-13, 06:04 AM in reply to Hayduke's post starting "That'd be like if AIDS developed nukes..."
There's only so many ways that can end, and they are all bad.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Chrystalia

Posted 2010-10-13, 01:44 PM in reply to Chrystalia's post starting "There's only so many ways that can end,..."
I think I heard about this either on the news, or the internet somewhere. They test drove several cars over x amount of miles and only had one accident. That was because one of their prototypes was rearended. (All this might be in the story, I didn't bother to read it)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla

Posted 2010-10-13, 09:33 PM in reply to Chrystalia's post starting "There's only so many ways that can end,..."
Cop cars that can hack into speeding cars? Fund this shit!!!
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-10-13, 10:34 PM in reply to D3V's post "Google Developing Self Driving Cars"
I, Robot here we come!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2010-10-14, 07:26 AM in reply to Kazilla's post starting "I think I heard about this either on..."
Kazilla said: [Goto]
I think I heard about this either on the news, or the internet somewhere. They test drove several cars over x amount of miles and only had one accident. That was because one of their prototypes was rearended. (All this might be in the story, I didn't bother to read it)
My buddy that told me about the project said the same thing, so it's probably legit.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2010-10-15, 06:52 AM in reply to D3V's post starting "My buddy that told me about the project..."
kid i know had to do a news report and one of the articles she did was about this ...tough the newspaper had wrong info
Tim
I know you
said not to
deal w/ them
I didn't think
I'm lost and
I'm sorry
They Know
Run
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
jamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed itjamer123 shouldn't have fed it

jamer123