Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Opinion and Debate

Why haven't consoles multiplayer combined?
Posted 2013-03-11, 12:56 AM
I've thought about this for a long time, why can't games such as the Madden franchises, Call of Duty, Battlefield, any genre you think of that has cross-platform games (even branching into the PC world) have multi-platform online play support? I have friends with Black Ops that have Xbox'es that I can't play against.

I understand each Console/PC have different operating systems and internet configurations etc; However, in the near future Diablo 3 will be available on Playstation 4. Which leads me to think, will it be able to play against those who log in via a PC? And if it won't, why not? Login services that can be installed such as Steam could be an easy workaround for it, and most consoles would be able to support like-programmed software as such. There is no reason not to expand a userbase online.

Yes, there would be issues with who pays for the servers/bandwidth load, what percentages from which specific platform pulls how much latency, etc, etc. But, expanding a console to play more like a PC makes the absolute most sense. Is it inevitable? Absolutely. Will it happen in the next 5 years? There is no way that it won't. But why hasn't it happened already? I wan't the bridges to be gaped, and the incoherence and incompatibility to be gone.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2013-03-11, 08:26 AM in reply to D3V's post "Why haven't consoles multiplayer..."
It's definitely a possibility with Diablo 3 but with FPS's I think it would be unfair because it is arguably a lot easier to aim with a mouse than it is with a controller.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
NonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzNonGayMan enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

NonGayMan

Posted 2013-03-11, 07:06 PM in reply to NonGayMan's post starting "It's definitely a possibility with..."
True, but even with the PS3 you can use a mouse as a peripheral, as I'm certain the PS4 will be the same.

Quote:
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2013-03-14, 06:39 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "True, but even with the PS3 you can use..."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_514

I look forward to some planetary bombardment. The tears of console gamers shall be delicious. > : )
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2013-03-15, 08:10 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dust_514 ..."
Don't forget that the console gamers are supposed to get a weapon to blast ships in orbit, too.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2013-03-15, 09:50 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "Don't forget that the console gamers..."
Hopefully as Dust 514 ages we'll be able to actually use stuff like missiles and doomsday weapons instead of just 1 specific gun.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2013-03-16, 11:45 AM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Hopefully as Dust 514 ages we'll be..."
Well, remember that none of that stuff has the range for planetary assualt. The planet may look close, but it's at least an order of magnitude farther away than the range of any ship to ship weapon.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2013-03-19, 06:37 AM in reply to NonGayMan's post starting "It's definitely a possibility with..."
I recently got Star Wars Battlefront 2 and was annoyed that there wasn't a work around for that yet to let me play with Wallow who is on the PS2. It annoyes the living hell out of me that just because I don't like using a controller and I prefer my mouse and keyboard that I can't play with my best friend who's playing the EXACT SAME GOD DAMN GAME on a console. I think it's simply the consoles that are to blame as they want to pull whole groups of friends into buying their console. Although I'm surprised the PS3 hasn't gained this ability as sony produces computers as well and they could benefit from cross platform gaming there.

/minddump
<script type="text/javascript">alert("remember when scripting attacks worked?");</script>
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Asamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessAsamin has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Asamin

Posted 2015-02-02, 03:37 PM in reply to Asamin's post starting "I recently got Star Wars Battlefront 2..."
Still hasn't happened. There won't even be any more consoles going forward, it'll be some weird peripheral that communicates through the "cloud".

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2015-02-02, 07:59 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Still hasn't happened. There won't even..."
Gaming is pretty much shit now. There are some gems that pop up from time to time, but the general theme is garbage otherwise. It's a sad state of affairs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2015-02-02, 09:27 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Gaming is pretty much shit now. There..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Gaming is pretty much shit now. There are some gems that pop up from time to time, but the general theme is garbage otherwise. It's a sad state of affairs.
Pretty much this, unfortunately.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2015-02-03, 06:16 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Gaming is pretty much shit now. There..."
Eh, give it time, the industry will collapse, and a brighter, better industry will rise from the rubble!

You know, in maybe ten, fifteen years time.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2015-02-03, 08:22 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Gaming is pretty much shit now. There..."
Bah! I still get my jollies with GTA V, Battlefield, CoD etc..

But you're right, once WoW started fading out it's glory days nothing was ever the same. We were all so spoiled to get immersed like that back in the mid 2000's.

Quote:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

D3V

Posted 2015-02-03, 11:52 AM in reply to D3V's post starting ":weird: Bah! I still get my jollies..."
The talk in this thread reminds me of some of the later South Park episodes pertaining to Stan getting old and cynical.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2015-02-04, 01:13 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "The talk in this thread reminds me of..."
I think that applies to this forum. I always felt like the child born too late.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow

Posted 2015-02-12, 09:31 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Gaming is pretty much shit now. There..."
It's because BBT has made "geek" a plus now. Wait about a year after the show ends and it'll all go back to normal. Probably better.

I noticed Indie games are fucking awesome, and with most major gaming companies getting shit on by themselves, I'm sure in a good five years the game industry will "reboot" due to natural selection.

tl;dr? Transistor was great.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2015-02-12, 03:24 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "It's because BBT has made "geek" a plus..."
Skurai said: [Goto]
tl;dr? Transistor was great.
I'm playing that on PS4 at the moment, and am thoroughly enjoying it. I've found the combat system a bit hard to get into though - I don't think I've played any two consecutive fights with the same loadout. I'm sure I'll settle on my winning formula on a second play through, but I'm nearing the end and I'm still trying things out (which, I guess, isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it can be frustrating).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2015-02-12, 04:17 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I'm playing that on PS4 at the moment,..."
Anyone try the Dark Souls series? I've been hooked for more than a year now, and Bloodborne comes out in less than a month.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Wallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of massWallow is an uncelestial body of mass

Wallow