Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > Diablo III

Runes in Diablo 3
Posted 2009-06-09, 03:55 PM
Runes in D2 are little things that you use to socket and enchant equipments, and specific rune combinations would also create runewords.

Now runes are coming back, but in a different way. Instead of socketing item, you'll be socketing your skill, enhance the skill depending on the quality and property of the rune.

It is said that all active skills would have a socket for runes.

It sounds really interesting for me. Back in D2 before the synergies, there are only several builds that are "good." (A lot of builds are fun, but not "good" in terms of PvM or PvP) So, when you look around, you will see a lot of players to be almost identical to you in terms of both skills and equipment. WW baba, Javazon, Bowazon, Zealot, Orb/TS sorc, you name it. (There are some changes after the synergies were added, but not enough to really change things)

But with runes being able to modify/customize the usage of skills..

I'm just really looking forward to the whole game right now. Also, they could expand the gameplay simply by adding new runes in the future.

I am a little worried about the rarity of the rune though. I hope the top level runes will not be as rare as Ber/Jah/Zod..

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2009-06-09, 03:57 PM in reply to Senesia's post "Runes in Diablo 3"
Eh, I hope they keep them rare. The idea is you get those runes and you get beastly equipment. The only issue right now is that the equipment is common. I think there should be items in the game that are GODLY, but super rare.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-10, 06:37 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Eh, I hope they keep them rare. The..."
I totally agree. Those Godly items that nobody could ever get their hands on are what set players on different plateaus than the others in the later levels.

Quote:
The lead designer showed off the Teleport skill with a Striking rune, turning the spell into an offensive skill that can destroy enemies. The Skull of Flame skill was modified by the Multistrike Rune, which split the single fireball into multiple splashing attacks, to the crowd's enormous delight.
This is just going to be fucking sweet. As you said, skills being able to be modified by runes is something that really is going to change the game up a bit as it had in D2, but now it's a little more defined and tweaked.

Quote:
The Electrocute spell was modified with Multistrike, turning it into a Chain Lightning-esque spell. The Lethality rune added an explosion effect to Electrocute, splattering enemies on contact.
Etc etc. Who knows exactly how things will work, we still don't have all the information of the new game, but the closer the release date comes towards us, the more discussions we can have. I personally can't wait...

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2009-07-03, 08:27 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Eh, I hope they keep them rare. The..."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Eh, I hope they keep them rare. The idea is you get those runes and you get beastly equipment. The only issue right now is that the equipment is common. I think there should be items in the game that are GODLY, but super rare.
They are going to be rare. I read this post on b.net again and realized that I didn't quote it here.

"The intent isn't for runes to be hot-swappable or interchangeable at any time. The ability to change the rune is the point of any comments made about switching them around, not that we want to allow easy and free interchangeable runes. What we do intend is for people to be able to try different runes without fear of losing the rune, or permanently changing the way a skill works.

Early design thoughts on rune swapping are that there would be some sort of cost to remove them so a new one could be put in its place. Early in the character's life it would be inexpensive enough so it isn't prohibitive, as we want to encourage experimentation, but later on the cost would become more substantial.

In addition, the high end runes are intended to be very rare. So while you're looking for them we want you to be able to use the runes you have without fear of losing them or using them incorrectly. Being able to experiment with different runes along the way to creating your perfect character is more fun, and potentially enlightening to the different ways your character can be used. "

Ability to try different runes without the fear of losing them or permanently changed the skill. How thoughtful.

11:49 Skurai said:
I don't have to study for math, I'm technically a genius, just don't care to show.

Last edited by Senesia; 2009-07-03 at 09:12 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Senesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSenesia enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Senesia

Posted 2009-07-03, 09:09 AM in reply to Senesia's post starting "They are going to be rare. I read this..."
I'm excited, that sounds cool as hell!
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution-Spector- is the result of 14 billion years of hydrogen atom evolution

-Spector-

Posted 2009-07-03, 10:30 AM in reply to Senesia's post starting "They are going to be rare. I read this..."
That sounds awesome.

FYI Senesia, I'm posting Diablo news to the portal now, so feel free to post any new news in separate threads, and I'll send them to the front page.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!