Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion

Clones, Ghost in the shell, dat ass, and everyone loves sci-fi
Posted 2010-08-11, 08:38 PM
inb4 we get off topic.

So, let's assume that at least 100 years from now, we have clones, and robots and Africa's AIDS completely wiped out the continent(inb4 AIDS isn't funny).
Let's say someone doesn't like their body, is getting old, or has a horrible disease (inb4 another AIDS joke), since we can create clones, what's stoping us from sending that persons concious/mind/soul/wtfever into that body, and they continue from there? Would this be possible? How expensive would this be, really, with all the advancements by then? How do you think they would go about it (the scientist)? Would you do it, just to try (inb4 transexual)?
Skurai

Last edited by Skurai; 2010-08-12 at 03:37 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-12, 09:16 AM in reply to Skurai's post "Clones, Ghost in the shell, dat ass,..."
Cut out the spam and moved to The Symposium.

Be serious, guys. This is actually quite an interesting thread, ripe for discussion. Sure, the original post could use some re-wording, but the question domain is fascinating. I've been thinking about an answer all day - I'll be ready to answer later, methinks.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2010-08-12, 10:04 AM in reply to Skurai's post "Clones, Ghost in the shell, dat ass,..."
How do you propose we transfer minds, anyway? The first question is... what is a mind?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2010-08-12, 10:50 AM in reply to Grav's post starting "How do you propose we transfer minds,..."
Quote:
The first question is... what is a mind?
God.

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-08-12, 03:22 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "How do you propose we transfer minds,..."
Grav said: [Goto]
How do you propose we transfer minds, anyway? The first question is... what is a mind?
Well, I guess memory, thought patterns, and personality, and the such.
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Skurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessSkurai has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-12, 03:26 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "Well, I guess memory, thought patterns,..."
Those are all creations from different areas of the brains. Mostly projections and mimics that have developed from childhood. Basically you wouldn't be able to transfer your 'mind'. Are you suggesting that the biological combination be put onto a computer chip and then 'booted up' or more the physical transfer to a machine?

Quote:
!King_Amazon!: I talked to him while he was getting raped
[quote][16:04] jamer123: GRRR firefox just like quit on me now on internet exploder[quote]
[quote=!King_Amazon!]notices he's 3 inches shorter than her son and he's circumcised [quote]
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
D3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidencesD3V is convinced there are no coincidences, only the illusion of coincidences

D3V

Posted 2010-08-12, 03:30 PM in reply to D3V's post starting "Those are all creations from different..."
I guess we would start doing it physically, but as we progress even more, it would be done with the chip. So how would the chip work? Are you saying, we upload the data or whatever to the chip, put the chip in the new body, and somehow hook it up, or that we upload the data into the new body?
Skurai
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Skurai

Posted 2010-08-12, 05:25 PM in reply to Skurai's post starting "I guess we would start doing it..."
Such thing as brain transplant?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Kazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darknessKazilla has an imagination enthroned in its own recess, incomprehensible as from darkness

Kazilla