Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Doom
Posted 2005-10-20, 08:08 PM
Well I'm off to see the midnight showing of DOOM in a couple hours. I'll let you all know how it was when I get back.

KagomJack said:
My girth isn't anything to bitch and moan about in long, elaborate paragraphs.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2005-10-21, 01:02 AM in reply to JRwakebord's post "Doom"
From what I've seen in the trailers the hyped up first person view action looks crappy. I'm just going to wait for it to come on dvd and download it.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
undeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenundeadzombieguy is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

undeadzombieguy

Posted 2005-10-21, 07:29 AM in reply to JRwakebord's post "Doom"
JRwakebord said:
Well I'm off to see the midnight showing of DOOM in a couple hours. I'll let you all know how it was when I get back.
So how was it
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-10-21, 12:54 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "So how was it"
SPOILERS AHEAD, DON'T SCROLL DOWN IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW WHAT HAPPENS

There were definitly some parts of this movie I did not like at all. The way the whole basic storyline of the movie was changed, for example, pissed me off immensly. There is no demonic invasion. Instead, it's a virus that mutates people into monsters. This makes the amount of baddies the main character is fighting off significantly lower than the game, and results in the movie being much slower paced than I expected (for the most part).

The final battle was, for me, probably the last thing I expected to see in this movie. They have The Rock (Sarge) become infected and go on a rampage killing all the civilians that they were sent in to save. Reaper (the main character) tries to stop him by, of all things, getting into an overblown fistfight/karate battle. By this point, Sarge is turning into the movie's version of a Hell Knight, and Reaper has been infected with the same thing as Sarge, but because he's good at heart, all the infection/injection does is make him super fast and strong. And heal immediately. Come on now. This is not DOOM. DOOM has no moral arguments about what people are like on the inside. DOOM does not have you putting down your weapons and going into a fistfight with another person. DOOM is all about blowing shit up and fighting for your survival. Not wondering if someone has a good soul.

On a good note, however, you get to see the BFG fired on screen. And it does a hell of a lot of damage. It blasts through multiple floors and walls in a single shot. And my personal favorite part: the First-Person sequence. This segement is what really motivated me to go see the movie, and for me, was worth the price of admission. The fight against the Pinkie Demon while using the chain saw was spectacular. The pace of the movie picked up immensely during this sequence, making it much more like the game. There were more shots fired and blood spilled in this 5 minutes that the rest of the movie combined, I think.

But even this part wasn't without it's faults. What I was hoping for with the 1st person view was a basic recreation of the game, even for a couple minutes. I wanted to experience the long walk down a hallway, not knowing what's around the next corner waiting for you. Instead, there were different scenes within this segment. It started with a continuous shot, but then it turned into a bunch of clips of multiple 1st person battles, and so the shot lost some of it's effectiveness there for me.

All in all, the movie was decent. I'll be seeing it again tonight, but that's because I'm getting ass if I do so. So that doesn't really count. I'd still probably see it again just for the 1st person battle though.

If the thought of a first-person viewpoint on the big screen excites you, then by all means see this movie. Just expect to have to wait through a slow (though somewhat tense) beginning, out of place additions to the DOOM universe, and moral implications that simply do not belong.

KagomJack said:

Last edited by Sovereign; 2005-10-21 at 10:14 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
JRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzJRwakebord enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

JRwakebord

Posted 2005-10-21, 05:12 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "SPOILERS AHEAD, DON'T SCROLL DOWN IF..."
I don't want it ruined, but I would like a rating if you could.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2005-10-21, 10:14 PM in reply to Jamesadin's post starting "I don't want it ruined, but I would..."
Spoiler tag added.

Move doesn't sound as good as I thought it would be
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzSovereign enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Sovereign

Posted 2005-10-21, 10:16 PM in reply to Sovereign's post starting "Spoiler tag added. Move doesn't..."
Ah, I forgot about that thing.

And I'd give it a B-. Worth seeing once, twice if you really like the 1st person part.

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JRwakebord

Posted 2005-10-22, 12:23 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "Ah, I forgot about that thing. And..."
It is currently at a 20% on Rottentomatoes.com (A site which averages all of the critics reviews)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/doom/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Jamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweenJamesadin is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

Jamesadin

Posted 2005-10-22, 01:25 PM in reply to JRwakebord's post starting "Ah, I forgot about that thing. And..."
Wtf... they have a first person part in the movie? I would think it would be bad.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2005-10-22, 02:55 PM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "Wtf... they have a first person part in..."
let me the first to say that it isnt bad at all. Actually, it was worth every cent. The catch is to like the video games first off. You have to like Doom if u wnat to see it. THe movie is pretty slow but u discover who u are going to like and not going to like. U anticipate the whole movie and up until the last 15 mins it was only a B, B- movie. But then the first person shoter part comes up and it jumps to at least an A. I was so excited during that part of the movie that i would pay ten dollars just to see it again. So i liked it, but that might be because i love the game as well.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
gruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifegruesomeBODY shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-10-23, 03:09 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "let me the first to say that it isnt..."
Yea I saw it opening day, and let me say... profesional critics are snobby non video game playing people and they dont know wtf there talking about... hell they gave Titanic some of the best reviews =/

Anyways the movie is kinda slow the whole way until it gets to the FPS part and it really picks up from there til the end. The whole FPS scene was actually good and not some cheesy 'Hackers' style game footage, if you all remember that movie lol.

I give it a B.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2005-10-23, 09:37 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Yea I saw it opening day, and let me..."
Sum i like your new sig
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-10-23, 09:40 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "Sum i like your new sig"
It's a very good sig.

I'd give it...a...B+. The writing needs to be lighter to see it on the red and other black.

Oh, and you might like to get rid of my site address at the bottom...

Last edited by Lenny; 2005-10-23 at 09:49 AM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2005-10-23, 10:47 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "Yea I saw it opening day, and let me..."
Sum Yung Guy said:
The whole FPS scene was actually good and not some cheesy 'Hackers' style game footage, if you all remember that movie lol.

OMG yes. Old school!

KagomJack said:
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

JRwakebord

Posted 2005-10-23, 10:55 AM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "Sum i like your new sig"
He left Lennys website at the bottom, hehe.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Dar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzDar_Win enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Dar_Win

Posted 2005-10-23, 05:11 PM in reply to Dar_Win's post starting "He left Lennys website at the bottom,..."
You guys are rating it too high, it's a solid B-.

Pros:
-The BFG is totally worth it.
-The redneck guy is absolutely hilarious/creepy.
-The first person scene is worth watching the entire movie for.
-The Christian guy that commits suicide.
-It's more like Half-Life than Doom. (During the elevator sequence at the end I found myself saying "welcome to Black Mesa labs..")

Cons:
-If you are a Doom fan, you will criticize it a lot.
-If you get headaches from bright lights, you will hate the flashlights in this film. But don't worry, they all magically break within about 25 minutes of use.
-The ending is gay.
-Not enough demons/too many scientists.
-Genes that make you good or bad? Wow. Dumb.

Last edited by GravitonSurge; 2005-10-23 at 05:14 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-10-23, 05:43 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "You guys are rating it too high, it's a..."
GravitonSurge said:
The first person scene is worth watching the entire movie for.

Yes i will buy this movie just for that scene- 4 mins of total chaos. The best part about that scene was when he sniped the three guys above him. I sweriously clapped in the theater
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

gruesomeBODY

Posted 2005-10-23, 06:14 PM in reply to gruesomeBODY's post starting "Yes i will buy this movie just for that..."
Yeah that was some serious TFC sniping
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2005-10-23, 07:50 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "Yeah that was some serious TFC sniping"
you betcha
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

gruesomeBODY