Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Any Zel members tried XNA development yet?
Posted 2009-06-14, 02:11 PM
I am downloading it right now, apparently you can create xbox live arcade games and sell them on xbox live. I've started downloading some of the more popular community created games and they are actually pretty good. Sounds like a great way to make money if you can make a fun addictive game.

Also Castle Crashers on xbox live arcade is teh bomb. (I got the alien hominid bonus character too)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-14, 02:43 PM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post "Any Zel members tried XNA development..."
I downloaded it a week or so after it became available, thinking that I'd start learning how to program games using it, but I never got round to installing it.

It uses C#, right?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Lenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basicsLenny simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Lenny

Posted 2009-06-16, 08:27 PM in reply to Lenny's post starting "I downloaded it a week or so after it..."
Lenny said: [Goto]
I downloaded it a week or so after it became available, thinking that I'd start learning how to program games using it, but I never got round to installing it.

It uses C#, right?

Yes, it uses C#.

SYG, if you have no programming experience, don't think you're just suddenly going to be an uber game programmer with a number 1 seller. In fact, programing a game takes a lot more work than a just programming a regular program. So learn that first, then you can move on from there.

Also SYG, you need Visual Studio 2008 or the free Visual C# compiler.

---------------
As far as XNA goes, it can be a little slow at times, and kind of seem bulky. However, it's a pretty good framework to work with.

--
Well, I'm off to bed for the night.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-06-16, 08:48 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Yes, it uses C#. SYG, if you have no..."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
Yes, it uses C#.

SYG, if you have no programming experience, don't think you're just suddenly going to be an uber game programmer with a number 1 seller. In fact, programing a game takes a lot more work than a just programming a regular program. So learn that first, then you can move on from there.

Also SYG, you need Visual Studio 2008 or the free Visual C# compiler.

---------------
As far as XNA goes, it can be a little slow at times, and kind of seem bulky. However, it's a pretty good framework to work with.

--
Well, I'm off to bed for the night.
God damn you sound high and mighty.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2009-06-16, 08:51 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "God damn you sound high and mighty."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]

When you don't have much to be proud of you tend to overemphasize the few things you do have.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2009-06-16, 09:13 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "God damn you sound high and mighty."
!King_Amazon! said: [Goto]
Doesn't he always?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Thanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basicsThanatos simplifies with no grasp of the basics

Thanatos

Posted 2009-06-16, 11:49 PM in reply to Thanatos's post starting "Doesn't he always?"
I was just writing from a realistic standpoint on the issue. That's all. Calm down you two and stop spamming the thread with your crap.

Work List

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-06-17, 06:29 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "I was just writing from a realistic..."
I took C++ all through highschool and I have programmed a number of 2d games. I went to youth bootcamp for 6 months when I was 16 and with no access to electronics, I just wrote all the lines of code for a game into a notebook. When I finally got home I was able to compile it after a few error corrections.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Sum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beSum Yung Guy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Sum Yung Guy

Posted 2009-06-17, 06:45 AM in reply to Sum Yung Guy's post starting "I took C++ all through highschool and I..."
Sum Yung Guy said: [Goto]
I took C++ all through highschool and I have programmed a number of 2d games. I went to youth bootcamp for 6 months when I was 16 and with no access to electronics, I just wrote all the lines of code for a game into a notebook. When I finally got home I was able to compile it after a few error corrections.

Oh, so you have programming experience. That's great then. Keep in mind though, this is C#, pointers and certain other things like certain operator overloading do not work the same in C#. I think you'll get around to it pretty quick though. Oh, and make sure to read up tuts on getting started with XNA, because it is a little strange to begin with. Once you wrap your head around it, though, it's pretty simple.

Also, make sure to get your developers license if you want to sell things for the PC and Xbox360.

Work List

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2009-06-17, 06:48 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Oh, so you have programming experience...."
Goodlookinguy said: [Goto]
Oh, so you have programming experience. That's great then. Keep in mind though, this is C#, pointers and certain other things like certain operator overloading do not work the same in C#. I think you'll get around to it pretty quick though. Oh, and make sure to read up tuts on getting started with XNA, because it is a little strange to begin with. Once you wrap your head around it, though, it's pretty simple.

Also, make sure to get your developers license if you want to sell things for the PC and Xbox360.
Thanks for the pointers. Once I get my new system up and running me and my brother in law are gonna start working on the XNA stuff. (He is an outstanding 3d modeler and programmer.)
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Sum Yung Guy