Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art > Tech Help

Computers/Operating System
Posted 2005-06-19, 08:09 PM
Is it possible to download Windows 98 legally for free? My uncle recently was going to throw away an old computer (Windows 95, don't know the year), and I got it and am planning on using it for music purposes. Any feedback/help would be appreciated.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
HandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beHandOfHeaven seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

HandOfHeaven

Posted 2005-06-19, 08:38 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post "Computers/Operating System"
HandOfHeaven said:
Is it possible to download Windows 98 legally for free? My uncle recently was going to throw away an old computer (Windows 95, don't know the year), and I got it and am planning on using it for music purposes. Any feedback/help would be appreciated.
Don't know, although I doubt it. On the other hand, if you want to use it strictly for music, you could put Linux on it, and that would be free, and perfectly legal.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2005-06-19, 08:53 PM in reply to HandOfHeaven's post "Computers/Operating System"
Nope, a legal Windows 98 requires a COA from Microsoft, which usually comes with the CD - it's not abandonware by any stretch of the imagination. You can even still buy paid support for 98 directly from Microsoft, if you ever felt like doing so.

Completely unrelated of course, there is no online activation or anything in Win98 like on WinXP, pirating back in the day was as simple as getting a valid product key

I fully expect, however, for you to purchase 98 online for the low low price of 40-60 dollars because it is the right thing to do

Edit: Of course if you do have a COA, you can use any 98 CD you can get your hands on and use it legally to install Win98 on your system.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
BlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzBlueCube enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

BlueCube