Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Cool My Secrets, Learning Kanji for Humans.
Posted 2008-04-06, 06:22 AM

WARNING: I HAD TO SPACE WORDS OUT DUE TO ZELARONS "<?>" CRYSTAL MAKING. MAKE SURE TO DELETE SPACES BETWEEN THE KANJI
Example: 日付と時刻の表記に関する国際標準 格

RULES: English is not important, other than knowing how to speak, write, and read it properly. Character = Japanese Letters

-Part one Beginning

Some may think that Kanji is the hardest part of the Japanese language, I'm about to prove that wrong.

1. ) Romaji = Japanese written in English letters

2. ) カタカナ Katakana = Foreign Languages

How many you ask.

Any katakana written word could be 1 of 1200+ languages that exist on Earth

3. ) ひらがな Hiragana, useful, but, isn't used as commonly as Kanji.

4. ) 漢字 Kanji - Almost everything is written in Kanji. Everybody on the web says, "I wanna learn, I wanna learn!" or, "Pls help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Well I am just going to point this out, if you can’t spell words in English properly or at least most of the time; this guide is not for you, because I believe in good grammar.

So, now I'm going to write something. Done.

Most people who ask that are usually unmotivated. I must say, the biggest thing is self-motivation. Now I will put this down right now, I am lazy, my motivation level is low, and getting me to do anything, is low. So my guide is realistic to humans and not people who have no lives.

Here is the guide, I didn't want to write anything of my own in Kanji, I obtained most of the random bits from random websites.

1. ) 日 付 と 時 刻 の 表 記 に 関 す る 国 際 標 準 規 格

Now, what in the world does that mean?
No, don't jump on Google Translator, Babel-fish, etc.
Instead go to a dear friend of mine, Anime Lab

Now, you are wondering, why would I send you off to an online translator?
Well the reason is simple, they have a nice dictionary.

Now, I sent you to the translate page, please copy and paste the above raw data into the translator.

What do ya get under the romaji part?
hiduke to jikoku no hyouki ni kansu ru kokusai shirube jun kikaku

Aw! Good, romaji good. Now, how do you know it got it all correct, you don't. So next step, figure out on your own, which characters(lettes) go together, then click on the dictionary. From there click on the settings Kanji - exact. For all Kanji you have figured out, stick it in machine, and click "Go!"

Now you will get a list of characters, sort though it. Read each one, now try and non-literal translate that.

2. ) Non-literal translation should be complete

3. ) Try to assemble, on your own, a reasonable sounding translation (this may or may not take a day or two. ~not 15-minutes)

4. ) You should have a literal translation, but is it right?

I don't if it is or not, but here is the main part. You may or may not just realized it, but the time you spent looking at the kanji and trying to get it right, you had just learned some Kanji, maybe not the meaning, but the romaji for it, which in essence is the most important for English speakers.

5. ) Take one character from the word above, look it up online, and see if you can find other snippets, then try and repeat my steps.

--Part Two Beginning More Advanced

1. ) Now that you have practiced turning 9 sentences from Kanji to Romaji then to English (as best as you could)

Take it upon yourself to take the following line and try to see if you can read any of it, that is, the romaji of it.

ああ(space)あ の 日 の 夢 今 で も ま だ 忘 れ て な い ん で しょ

Whoa, could you read any of that? How 'bout at least 今 (ima).

Well, now if you had done what I had said you should have been able to recognize at least 1 character in that, 日(nichi).

Nichi is a very commonly used character in Japanese. Remember it, and remember it well. I know, all of you are saying, "but i've saw the translater gave anoder anwser," when you put in the sentence above. Correct! You are correct, it did. That is something the Japanese decided to take upon themselves to make their language harder to learn, I am not going to go into details. For now all you need to know is one kanji character at a time.

2. ) By now, if it has been a good one-two weeks, you should have down at least 2 kanji characters! Whoa, two!

How easy is that, you can be lazy and learn Japanese Kanji, like 今(ima) and 日(nichi), at the same time.

3. ) Now, this instructions make more sense then going around and trying to find places that say they can help you, because they probably can't.

The fact is, if you don't have real examples and are trying to figure out each example, you will never learn. That site was by far the best site that helped me learn Japanese + the real life examples I found.

Now, I sit here typing this to you, a guide to learn Kanji, even if you are lazy.

By the way, the best way to learn Kanji is to find something you like, specifically a song. Find the Kanji Lyrics with characters such as 今(ima) and 日(nichi) in the lyrics. Now go though trying to translate the song. By the way, try to find a song that is pretty much all Japanese, no English words.

If you do what I've put here, in a year, you should know some Kanji like 今(ima) and 日(nichi), that is not to say that you will understand its meaning, but you will know some Kanji.

---Part 3 Ending

1. ) This will briefly explain my ending

2. ) Has it been a year, possibly two? I doubt, I bet you just read the whole guide all the way to the end, seeing things like 今(ima) and 日(nichi) along the way. Well that was the point. By the end of this, I hoped that you would have learned 今(ima) and 日(nichi).

3. ) Reason that you probably know the two Kanji characters 今(ima) and 日(nichi). Well it all comes down to repetitiveness. I repeated it several times, so your brain remembered it. Well, the point of going though and looking at the real life example was to get you to look at the characters again and again till you thought the sentence sounded right, even though you may have been wrong.

4. ) I hope this guide realistically put the answer to learning Kanji.

5. ) Don't get pissed at me. I never stated that I was going to teach you to translate it from Japanese to English, I stated that it was a guide to learn Kanji, and that is exactly what it is.

6. ) If you don't learn either 今(ima) and 日(nichi) by the end of this, you don't deserve to learn the Japanese language.

7. ) You did learn 今(ima) and 日(nichi), good for you! Now, your instructions are as followed, go to the top of the page, forget any previous translations, start all over again.

8. ) Why are you reading this? I already told you to go and start this guide over again. Just remember 今(ima) and 日(nichi)

----Part 4 Why are you reading this far (Much more advanced | learning the keyboard)

1. ) So you want to start to learn English from all of the Romaji? Not yet.

Alright, do you have a Japanese computer? C a n   y o u   r e a d   t h i s ?
In a Windows computer there should be a control panel, and from there language options. Install Japanese language, if you haven't already. Now, in the language options change you system "locale" to Japanese, and add Japanese to your keyboard.

2. ) Learning how to type with Japanese characters with an English Keyboard. It is really simple actually!

On the bottom right there should be a little bar [JP (symbol) A] click on the A. You get 5 choices! Only three are important. (P) (K) and (H)

P = English Writing
K = Katakana カタカナ
H = Hiragana/Kanji ひらがな

The amazingly cool part about this, is that all you have to do is type in romaji and the characters will automatically become the characters!

For example: I want to type ima well watch what happens い→いm→いま→今→。 OR→n→に→にc→にch→日
All I did for ima was type I(enter)→im(enter)→ima(enter)→ima(space)(ent er)→.(enter) and for nichi n(enter)→ni(enter)→nic(enter)→nich(enter)→ nichi(space)(enter)

After typing the word(or sentence) you must either space it, and it will automatically become the kanji character, or if you want it in hiragana then just press enter.

3. ) By this point you should know at least two Kanji characters and how to type them on a English keyboard. Now, time to explain how to further type out on a keyboard.

Okay! Here are three easy ones! 1, 2, and 3! In Japanese ichi, ni, san

Turn your keyboard to the one with the ひらがな(H)

Now, all we are going to do is type the letters i, c, h, i, in order how it looks, let’s do it

い いc いch 一 Okay did you end up with 「一」 or 「いち」If you ended up with いち You didn’t press the space button, then enter.

Make sure your keyboard is still set to ひらがな(H)

Now we are going to type two (ni), just spell, n, i, and you’re done.

n 二 did you run into a problem? Okay, here is a little very helpful secret.

Spell the word again. Now, double space, whoa! A list should appear, look though the list to find 二 , did you get it now!?

Onward to three (san), just like the others, s, a, n, and done.

s さ 三 did you run into any problems? Make sure to follow what I wrote above, double space, and a list should appear.

Now ぁ ぇ ぃ ぉ ぅ ァ ゥ ィ ォ ェ , I forgot the name of these, but, they are typed by adding a “x” before the character you are typing. xa xi xu xo xe just like that, but sense this is a Kanji guide, I don’t need to go into that.

One more thing, a lot of people want to know how to make these cool quotation-like things

「 And  」 Well, it’s real simple make sure to be set in hiragana mode and type [ and ]

By the way, to change between Japanese Hiragana and English quickly press "shift + caps lock"

That should just about sum it up on how to type in Japanese with an English keyboard.

-----Part 5 Transliteration (EX Advanced)

1. ) Just like in English, every language has words that are in a certain order to make a sentence proper in their standards. Lets take this for an example.

私 watashi, meaning I, I’m, me, my is commonly used for woman, not always. 僕 boku, meaning the same, but is commonly used for men. When asking, “I wonder if my plane will work?” they designed a little method of explaining it as a thought, “kana” かな.

Let’s say. 僕 の 鉋 作 業 か な ?
“I wonder if the plane will work?,” that would have been a fine translation. In Japanese, you are not required to have to right every bit of sentence, like English. A even better translation just would have been, “I wonder if my plane will work?”

To insure you don’t forget the kanji put throughout this, I shall write them again, 今 日 , what are those called again? ima, nichi

You are probably wondering what they mean

ima = right now, or time to go now
nichi = sun

2. ) The Japanese like to type backwards to the English writing system.

This bit is a bit from a real advertisement.

ハ ル ヒ 仕 様 の 髪 飾 り リ ボ ン と 、 県 立 北 高 校 の 男 子 制 服 の 2 種 類 だ 。

This sentence would end up like this

The two costumes are a Haruhi-style hair ribbon, and a prefectural North High School boy's uniform.

Romaji like this

haruhi(Haruhi (a person)) shiyou(type) no kami(hair) kazari(accessory) ribon(katakana for ribbon) to, kenritsu(prefectural) kita(north) koukou(high school) no danshi(male, in this case a boy because we are talking about a high school) seifuku(uniform) no ni(two | 2) shurui(verity) da.

Now knowing me, I would non-literal translate it. But for a beginner, it is usually worse than that. I am about to bring you a beginners translation

Haruhi has a ribbon hairstyle, and two verities of prefectural North High School male uniforms.

If that sounds right to you, hit yourself please, right now.

Here is another translation slightly higher on the chain

The costume comes with a Haruhi-style hair ribbon, and two North High School student uniform styles.

Now to remember this! The Japanese like to spell things opposite of English

ハ ル ヒ 仕 様 の 髪 飾 り リ ボ ン と 、 県 立 北 高 校 の 男 子 制 服 の 2 種 類 だ 。
The 2 is on the right, yet this sentence is telling us that there are two costumes (Yes, I know, they are not full costumes). That is why you must remember that things are written backwards.

The sentence is saying that there are 2 costumes a Haruhi-style hair ribbon and a Prefectural North High School student uniform. Don’t forget that, the Japanese will write things backwards, completely throwing you off of transliterating it.

All I can tell you from here is to keep looking at real life examples and learning what the kanji means, after that, then figure out what the English terminology for the word is.

Well that ends v1.0 of my guide. I will most likely make another one again sometime.

Well I thank you for reading my guide, I'm not sure if it belongs in the section. But hey, it is related to Japanese which is related to Anime. Just remember, I am still learning, I am at age 16, and am going everywhere slow.

~NRGoodlookinguy, written between 12:58am - 03:48am Today, published April 6, 2008. Version # 1.0

====================
If you see any mistakes, point them out in a PM please. I don't want to give any false information.
====================
Look for my next Japanese for Human series book, Pronouncing Japanese for Humans! Coming to you around April 8, 2008, I think, if I have the motivation; and the next one after that, Katakana & Hiragana for Humans.

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2008-04-13 at 04:55 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-04-06, 11:52 AM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post "My Secrets, Learning Kanji for Humans."
If you just want to learn kanji, the most effective way I've found is at http://lrnj.com/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired

Posted 2008-04-06, 02:06 PM in reply to WetWired's post starting "If you just want to learn kanji, the..."
Yeah, that could work, but, my method requires using your mind, and everybody will end up with different results. My method is also for the new day learners. (Hence, somebody such as myself on a computer)

I doubt that game will teach you to type Kanji on a keyboard. Also, I pointed out Anime Lab because they have a the 常用 grades 1 - 7. Jouyou meaning Common Japanese used Kanji.

Anyways, whichever method you decide to follow, hopefully it is a good way to learn Kanji. My feelings are to learn what the kanji is in romaji before learning the meaning, reason, 今, you would have to learn, ima, now, and 今 all at once. That is the number one reason so many people can't learn Japanese very well, they are taking in three things at once. That is too much for a normal brain capacity to take in. So I say just learn the character, and the romaji, then try to use translators to translate it that way you look at it a lot. It is all about repetitiveness, kanji for an English speaker is only good if the person learning, can repetitively, see the character.

Well, those are my thoughts, and they are as close as you are gonna get. I am just warning you, learn ROMAJI before English Definition.

I am turning this into a series on my website by the way people!

It is going to be called

Japanese for Humans! series.

I'm going to have katakana, hiragana, and a nice kanji chart. Oy, it is going to take me a while to finish, but I see it as contributing.

Hiring! Anyone who has no life, and is free. Hey, I just hired myself!

Work List
疲れていますから 寝むってありますね。 むずかしいです。 また、ケーキ屋で ケーキを食べていました。

I've considered being a translator, but I dunno. It feels like a lot of work. If someone gets angry then I have to deal with it, you know? I'd rather just relax.

Speed Test

Favorite Anime/Manga
#01 Clannad ~After Story~
#02 Trigun {Maximum}
#03 Koi Kaze
#04 Berserk
#05 Outlaw Star
#06 Slayers
#07 Desert Punk
#08 Spirited Away
#09 Fullmetal Alchemist
#10 Shakugan no Shana
#11 Death Note
#12 FLCL
#13 Tokyo Magnitude 8.0
#14 Toradora
#15 Gunslinger Girl

Anime List

Last edited by Goodlookinguy; 2008-04-06 at 02:18 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Goodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beGoodlookinguy seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Goodlookinguy

Posted 2008-04-06, 05:51 PM in reply to Goodlookinguy's post starting "Yeah, that could work, but, my method..."
The game starts with kanji "meanings." It teaches the kanji in groups of similar ones so you learn to distinguish them and can actually pick them out instead of being unsure if the kanji you see is the one you learned. The individual kanji "meanings" are intended more as mnemonics, to allow you to distinguish and name them, but they've still been quite usefull for my other Japanese studies. After you learn to type kana, you use them for the readings part, where you learn the on and kun readings. I think learning the meanings first is better, because there are many readings, and knowing the general meaning of kanji is immediately rewarding since when you see them in text you can get a feel for what the text says.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
WetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusionWetWired read his obituary with confusion

WetWired