Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > Science and Art

Top 15 misconceptions about evolution
Posted 2008-02-20, 09:07 PM
This is an excellent post: http://listverse.com/science/top-15-...out-evolution/
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-20, 09:13 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post "Top 15 misconceptions about evolution"
Lots of good points, Especially the teachers.

What do you think about having the kids decide which to take, what road to follow, Personally I think that would lead... well I'm not sure where that would lead to.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-20, 09:15 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Lots of good points, Especially the..."
Adrenachrome said:
What do you think about having the kids decide which to take, what road to follow, Personally I think that would lead... well I'm not sure where that would lead to.
Well, I certainly don't think evolution should be taught as dogma. I do think, however, that they should be presented with the facts, and it should be stressed that we are in fact more confident in the theory of evolution than we are in the theory of gravity.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-20, 09:15 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "Lots of good points, Especially the..."
It probably won't be the kids decision, but their parents decision.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Grav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrowGrav never puts off to tomorrow what can be done the day after tomorrow

Grav

Posted 2008-02-20, 09:18 PM in reply to Grav's post starting "It probably won't be the kids decision,..."
True but I think people should have the choice to go the religious route, One being that in order to have the choice to be right, you also need to have the choice to be wrong.

The other, organized religions are good for some people, imo

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."- Benjamin Franklin
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Adrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzAdrenachrome enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Adrenachrome

Posted 2008-02-20, 09:24 PM in reply to Adrenachrome's post starting "True but I think people should have the..."
Adrenachrome said:
True but I think people should have the choice to go the religious route, One being that in order to have the choice to be right, you also need to have the choice to be wrong.

The other, organized religions are good for some people, imo
They should have the choice, but they should be presented with the evidence. It shouldn't be watered down because some religious organization wants it to be, it should be presented in full.

I have a problem with religion as a whole, but I am vehemently opposed to all religion that contravenes science. They just make the world dumber as a whole. Consider the following as a case study.

This is a nice illustration of the evidence behind our understanding of the evolution of whales, all in 7 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2C-3PjNGok

Now watch a creationist explain whale evolution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muqBzqWgHuY

Ouch. He complains that those wicked scientists are trying to turn the bible into a great big joke…but I think this clown does an even better job of that. Try counting the misconceptions — he goes on and on with this story about an animal crawling out of the primordial ooze onto the land and not liking it, and then wishing it could go back into the ocean, where it sucks in its hindlimbs and turns into a whale…and then he calls that story stupid and ridiculous. Guess what: it is! Of course, this ignorant nitwit is the person who made up the story, and it has nothing at all to do with what the evidence actually says.

This is what we have to deal with: morons who think their caricatures are evidence, and this bozo is probably voting for school board members based on how closely they approximate his level of idiocy.

If people want to choose to believe this, that is their choice. But they should have all the evidence. They shouldn't be exposed to what this moron has to say, because to put it bluntly, it's just plain wrong.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Demosthenes

Posted 2008-02-20, 09:28 PM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "They should have the choice, but they..."
I believe that if everyone in our history believed in god, we would still be in mud huts with no running water.

Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Adrenachrome