Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > Zelaron Gaming > General Gaming

Lightbulb Broken PS2's = Useful
Posted 2004-10-02, 12:22 PM
Well, if you have a old broken ps2 hanging around, make some use out of it.

If you dont care about breaking it up(should mind since its useless) and it has a working fan. Just take all the screws out, remove the uneeded stuff like DVD drive, memory card/controller ports and for the hell of it, all the metal expansion bay pieces. What this does is; Very light and all that would be running are a few things, which means less power needed and less heat generated.

Next, you can remove all the chips, power switch/plug connector and fan(you need all this stuff) For the fan, you may just want to use some really strong cutters(maybe metal snippers) to cut out the spot around the fan since its the easiest way to remove it.

You need something to be a case for the chip sets and the fan can sit just outside of it. once you have this done, you can place it in/around your computer in such a way that the fan blows heat out of the computer(if in side and you have panels on, just remove about 4 of the slots in the back where cards would go(if you have room) and run the plug through that and the fan can be aimed so that it blows the hot air out the back.) This would be easier to setup if you had a panel on the side of you computer removed.

Summary: USe PS2 fan as fan for computer.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide

Posted 2004-10-02, 08:06 PM in reply to Tyrannicide's post "Broken PS2's = Useful"
Very thought out.

I actually thought of this before.

Did you know you can send broken ps2s into sony and it only cost 15$ shipping. THey fix them for free.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
slaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzslaynish enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

slaynish

Posted 2004-10-02, 08:12 PM in reply to slaynish's post starting "Very thought out. I actually thought..."
Yes, but this PS2 was the very first model and it would cost a lot more to fix because the warrenty ran out. The DVD drive, controller and memory cards were ruined because it was knocked off a shelf 4 feet high. We had controller extensions and one of my cats managed to get tangled in the cords and pulled the system off the shelf, smashing on the floor. I just recently selvaged the parts that worked (I mentioned what was needed above) to have another fan for my computer. Sony would have needed to replace over half the console. That would cost us more than $15. Sony usually fixes just the DVD lense, fixing DRE's.

~ KAMAHAME---Oh shit it's happening again.... ~
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Tyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzTyrannicide enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Tyrannicide