Zelaron Gaming Forum  
Stats Arcade Portal Forum FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Zelaron Gaming Forum > The Zelaron Nexus > General Discussion > Life Discussion

Posted 2007-07-11, 09:51 PM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "Well, my realization was when I was: ..."
!King_Amazon! said:
Well, my realization was when I was:

1. Going to raids even when I had other things I NEEDED to do, and even when I didn't WANT to go, because my guild needed me.

2. Not playing any other games because I felt like if I wasn't progressing my character then I was doing something wrong.

WoW is a game that once you start playing it, you can't just play for 15 minutes and stop. Just about anything you do takes a good long while. I like being able to play games these days whenever I want, regardless of how much time I have. If I've got 15 minutes to do whatever I want, I'll play some D2 or whatever, and I can just stop whenever I want.
I thought I was one of the only ones who had it that bad, I suppose (very selfishly) that I'm happy to hear I wasn't alone with these problems.

Although I used to have a problem with spending too much time on D2 and other games as well, so I doubt WoW is my entire problem. I probably just need to learn some discipline somehow.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-07-11, 10:05 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "I thought I was one of the only ones..."
WoW can make a bad thing horrible.

D2 used to suck a lot of my time too, but I could stop whenever I wanted to. In WoW, 95% of the time, if you're doing something, you can't just stop it. Running cows/Baal doesn't take 2 hours.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-07-12, 12:09 AM in reply to !King_Amazon!'s post starting "WoW can make a bad thing horrible. ..."
Yea. My WOW subscription runs out on August 7th ...I think I'm not gonna renew it. I'm starting at a tougher school (although still easy compared to a lot of more prestigious schools) and it's just time to concentrate on real life =).
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Willkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusionWillkillforfood read his obituary with confusion

Willkillforfood

Posted 2007-07-12, 05:47 AM in reply to Willkillforfood's post starting "Yea. My WOW subscription runs out on..."
Yeah thanks for the positive support guys, I hope you find the strength to quit too Volls, even now as I've said I've quit the game I'm struggling internally.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Penny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHzPenny_Bags enjoys the static noises of ten television sets simultaneously tuned to 412.84 MHz

Penny_Bags

Posted 2007-07-12, 01:07 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Yeah thanks for the positive support..."
After reading all this, it makes me glad I never started. I'd done a report on some of the ethical issues involved in online gaming last semester, and had considered opening a WoW account. But with my addictive gaming personality, I can't imagine that would be a good thing.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beVault Dweller seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Vault Dweller

Posted 2007-07-12, 01:18 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "After reading all this, it makes me..."
WoW is fine if you have the time for it. Back when I was living with my parents, with no job and no school, WoW was great. Without it, I would have gotten bored with everything else so fast. It didn't cause problems in my life back then.

Now I'm living with my girlfriend, working full time and all that jazz, and I've just got other things that HAVE to be done.

I mean, I don't blame the game. Too many people blame the game for their problems. There's nothing wrong with the game as long as you've got the time for it and the control to keep from losing yourself in it. The game is awesome.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics!King_Amazon! simplifies with no grasp of the basics

!King_Amazon!

Posted 2007-07-13, 05:10 PM in reply to Vault Dweller's post starting "After reading all this, it makes me..."
Vault Dweller said:
After reading all this, it makes me glad I never started. I'd done a report on some of the ethical issues involved in online gaming last semester, and had considered opening a WoW account. But with my addictive gaming personality, I can't imagine that would be a good thing.
The game has a few problems itself in my eyes, but largely what the problem with some people is that they don't have the willpower to quit something they enjoy, even though it's causing damage elsewhere.

I'll be quitting before this semester starts, and depending upon how I'm doing, I may renew if I can control it. I honestly just need more discipline and willpower in regards to my gaming.

As K_A said, MMOs are fantastic fun if you have the time to dedicate to them, but if you don't, you're just in for a world of hurt.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Vollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in lifeVollstrecker shows clear signs of ignorance and confidence; the two things needed to succeed in life

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-07-16, 12:01 AM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting "The game has a few problems itself in..."
I quit WoW, but I'm not going to lie. It has definitely left a big void in me because I constantly feel like I have ADD or something and I am always bored. I play d2 a bit now and that helps. Luckily I can throw a bot on with D2 and go read a book or something so it isn't taking up as much of my time. Despite being bored a fair amount I still consider quitting WOW to be a very wise move and I definitely am a lot happier now not having my soul sucked away by the never ending WoW grind anymore. I will probably always be a gamer at heart but I'm glad I am back to games where I can actually CONTROL my game time like d2 , 360, or Wii games.

P.S. Volls if bent/ferrex get you Warhammer keys I will hate you forever lol.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-07-16, 04:25 PM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "I quit WoW, but I'm not going to lie...."
timmay1113 said:
CONTROL my game time like d2
Whoa! Never thought I'd hear about how awesome you were at controlling D2 game time...

Last edited by Demosthenes; 2007-07-16 at 04:42 PM.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-07-16, 04:39 PM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "I quit WoW, but I'm not going to lie...."
timmay1113 said:
P.S. Volls if bent/ferrex get you Warhammer keys I will hate you forever lol.
:P

Llama got me into the Burning Crusade Beta, so you never know...
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

Vollstrecker

Posted 2007-07-16, 05:28 PM in reply to Vollstrecker's post starting ":P Llama got me into the Burning..."
mjordan2nd said:
Whoa! Never thought I'd hear about how awesome you were at controlling D2 game time...
I actually am not playing d2 so very much, but thats probably because of the bot. I do love dicking around on the computer still though. lol

Vollstrecker said:
:P

Llama got me into the Burning Crusade Beta, so you never know...
I think I got in BC beta on some site's random raffle so I was pretty pumped about that. I think I would shed tears of happiness if I actually got into Warhammer.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
timmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-betweentimmay1113 is neither ape nor machine; has so far settled for the in-between

timmay1113

Posted 2007-07-16, 07:09 PM in reply to Penny_Bags's post starting "Quit the game."
Probably was the most difficult thing you ever did, wasn't it (or at least felt like it was)? But congrats, man. You're going to find your life will be feel less stretched.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
KagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed itKagomJack shouldn't have fed it

KagomJack

Posted 2007-07-16, 09:19 PM in reply to timmay1113's post starting "I actually am not playing d2 so very..."
timmay1113 said:
I actually am not playing d2 so very much, but thats probably because of the bot. I do love dicking around on the computer still though. lol
Yea, but this is like your sixth stint with d2. Why don't you talk about your first two?
Old
Profile PM WWW Search
Demosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to beDemosthenes seldom sees opportunities until they cease to be

Demosthenes

Posted 2007-07-17, 11:26 AM in reply to Demosthenes's post starting "Yea, but this is like your sixth stint..."
Because I'm talking about the present ya cock.
Old
Profile PM WWW Search

timmay1113